Nvidia: We Expected More from the Radeon HD 7900 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He's saying the lead developer behind PhysX and marketing manager of CUDA is working on Bullet now. He left back at the start of 2010.

Either way PhysX isn't using x87 since 3.0, so that argument is irrelevant. 3.0 is a complete rewrite of PhysX from the ground up and afaik has yet to be implemented in a game. Nvidia has a huge advantage in industry support (people who are already implementing and using PhysX) and their SDK is already fully developed. It also helps when they partner up with companies like Epic, whose engine is used in tons of games.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I agree fully as well. Im still quite happy with my little 5770. Sure it came out end of 2009 but still can run crysis 2 and bf3 high settings @ 1920x1080 above 30fps. nfs the run runs ultra 1920x1080 with smaa and never dips below 30 before the patch.

There isnt a game that I cant run on high settings really and not play. Id rather have a 2500k system with my 5770 then get a hd 7870 etc with my q6600 setup.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That is precisely the reason why I expect popular prices on Kepler.

The only reason why they might opt for higher prices would be some new functionality... like PhysX 3, for which recommended GPU would be Kepler...

but I suspect they would at least have to have certain number of showcase games for that to happen.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i just want to know when official specs gona get released and official prices.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i keep them because im so poor i have no heating in my house,i also get loads of problems with them so i have chose to keep them...makes sense hey.:banana:

6. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    And i think that's what its going to happen.

They optimized Fermi for physx, but looks like they will do it one more time with ..speculation.. "build-in chip"
    Now If there is such component in Kepler, they had to use it because of the code, its so bad that it needs a extra unit for it or so they're gonna promote it for old inefficient physx 2:bang:
    And this is a bad thing, we could see more crappy physx 2 games in the near future just because of that.. and logically any non-Kepler gpu would suck by default.

Now if physx 3 is so optimized as they claim it to be, then it doesnt need any separate unit for it, also Fermi would run it with ease.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I highly doubt they'll have an extra unit just for physx... Also Fermi was made for computing, not physx. It just benefits from the architecture.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
  9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Those specs seem stupid and the article made several errors so it all seems like B.S to me.

No way in hell am I paying $499 ( + massive inflation for the first few months ) for a card that just beats the gtx580....especially with only 1.75gb of ram.

No way in hell are they going to have less than 2gb of ram in the top few cards.

10. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    No way. If this proves, you'll buy an AMD card? [​IMG]

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well this is nothing new, it's just those specs from last week turned into an article.

Don't buy it myself either, specs are far too inconsistent.
    Saying that, if someone did fake them they surely could of went over the top with vram and it would of been more believable.

SemiAccurate have a new article up, would rather not link to it, but it doesn't say much anyway, just that he is claiming it is not as small as he first thought, but still smaller than Tahiti so it should end up as efficient, but use less power.

12. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    I was speculating this from S|A..

And about Fermi, yes and no.. It had 10x faster content switching (physx >> rendering) and all those extra L1,2 caches were also for physx.

Anyhow that Fud link is the same as that German link :D

570gtx replacement looks 100% the same,even the price is the same lol

13. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Why would I buy an AMD card?

I'm thrifty...not stupid ;)

I know better than to subject myself to grey screen errors and the like, inferior AF, the loss of AA in many games where it can be forced on Nvidia cards but not ATI, the loss of physx.

The list goes on.

14. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    So, you call all AMD users - stupid. You are a smart guy.

Grey screen? Seems to be a nightmare. About it people talking on Nvidia forums? [​IMG]

What? I can use FXAA everywhere, I can force AA with Radeon Pro or another tools.
    Inferior AF?
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/12
    [​IMG]

15. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    There are a LOT of games where you can't force AA with ATI cards where you can with Nvidia.

I'm not talking about console AA blur filters either ;), and yeah ATI has worse AF.

Don't worry champ, I.D will patch Rage for ATI users...one day...maybe.

16. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    I don't care about it. I can use FXAA, which is much better in a lot of cases.
    SMAA or MLAA also can be applied.
    RAGE is a console port and it's total fail from Carmack. This game will not help anything to return. Patch, DLC, D3D port. It's a crap for console lovers without ending.
    Wow, so I must trust you, a nvidia-bot, not a guy form anandtech.:nerd:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/12
    Get a life. And stop masturbate on Nvidia logo. [​IMG]

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    actually funnily enough from that anandtech acticle they are actually more or less agreeing with nvidia...

"At the end of the day the 7970 is specifically targeted as a gaming workhorse. Regardless of any architecture changes, what’s important is how fast the card is, how much it costs, whether it works correctly, and what its physical attributes are like. With respect to all of these aspects AMD has made an acceptable card, but this is not a groundbreaking product like we’ve seen in the past."

which is the way i see it. a worthy upgrade over say a 5870...over a 580 no.

that's the simple truth. whether nvidia should come out and say something when they havent released a product is another matter and i agree with deltatux..but marketing and putting down your rival is part and parcel of the game...

p.s but dchalf is borderline trolling/flaming again i think. no need for that amd "stupid" reference.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    guys this is going nowhere. one likes nivida, the other likes amd. both are ****!

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    both are c r a p you saying? or expensive, better? :)

roll on kepler...the truth will out..

p.s i always think it best to not read to much into any hype or marketing bs. wait until products are launched and then make an "informed" decision.

20. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    I hate both.
    We have DX11 from 2009, but we must wait patches:
    Like HR Textures for Skyrim.
    Like RAGE Update.
    Like Crysis 2 Update to play with high quality.
    But we are playing on Console ports and outdated DX9 :bang:

Look what is going now with PC community. We make petitions to get a port rom consoles (DS petition).
    But we always will find an argument that AMD or Nvidia is good than another one.:bang: