nVidia vs. Vista

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by chubbzilla, Dec 28, 2008.

1. chubbzilla

chubbzilla New Member

GPU:
    HD5970
    Hey,

I left my pc defragging my C: drive when i went to bed one night, and found the next morning that my resolutions on my screens are all out of whack. I run Vista 32-bit and a 280 GTX for my two 22" monitors, and since this incident my first screen just will not go any better than 1024x768, when it works at all. The second screen always works fine, even when i swap the plugs in the DVI ports in the card. Vista just seems to hate my first monitor NOW, even tho it worked fine for months previously...

I've tried MANY different drivers over the last week, and am just curious to know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, as im at the point where im RAGING and considering re-formatting, (but i really cbf'd with that)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, just out of curiosity, could i run a 7950gt aswell as the 280gtx to run an lcd tv? (280gtx for 2 x 22" monitors, 7950gt for lcd tv) Anyone know if this would work?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    I've never heard of this problem just from a defrag. But some advice on that. NEVER use Windows defrag. Try this instead...works WONDERS!

http://www.defraggler.com/

I love this prog. Boot time faster and everything.

3. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2060 KO
    Welcome to the world of vista.Now you can wait for one of the vista lovers to come on here and help you cause they think its the best thing since sliced bread.:banana:

4. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Im no Vista lover, I do like it though. I doubt Vista ruined it for OP, sounds more like something went wrong with the defrag. @OP, did you use Windows built-in defragger or did you use some thirdparty software?? I had once that O&O ruined some of my system files, this was when o&o defragger was new, now it is a great software if not one of the best out there. Could also be that youre rams are dying and this is why it wont work anymore. My advice would be to test youre ram sticks with memtest or some other test software. If that they are fine, post back and we´ll go from there.

So long story short, sounds like some files have gone corrupt, hard to know which.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Welcome to Guru3D, chubbzilla. :)

I seriously doubt that defrag caused this, too. Maybe a Windows update or some other software update while you were sleeping? Did you already try restoring Windows to a previous system restore point?

Yes, it should work. ;)

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I had this happen to me once and I wasnt defraging.I dont remember what did it, I think it happen to me when I was partition or a update went wrong. I dont quite remember what tho. It does sound like system files got corrupted because I had to reinstall vista to fix it.

tho it never hapen to me ever again.

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    What kind of ignorant stupid comment is this? I use Vista x64 and have never heard of this. You just point fingers without even understanding or knowing the real cause.

I've had not a single problem with the OS.

You sir...should not comment any more unless its constructive to the OP.

8. chubbzilla

chubbzilla New Member

GPU:
    HD5970
    Thanks a lot guys.

I was defragging with Perfectdisk 2008, and yeah it is very likely that there was also an update that got installed as well, pretty sure my windows is set to check for updates sometime early in the morning.

I tried loading a previous restore point, but that didn't help me out either. It's sounding like I've got some corrupted files somewhere, and that a reinstall might be the only way to fix. SPEWIN. I love computers *sigh*

9. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2060 KO
    Its not a stupid comment,Its known to the whole world.Its also real funny that microsoft moved the release of windows 7 ahead to 2009 instead of 2010because they know thier in real trouble with the worst operating system they have ever released.And while we are on the subject,do you know any banks or big buisiness that are using vista?lol

10. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I doubt the OP cares about youre ignorant feelings about Vista, now we know you dont like it. Who cares what you like, if you are not helping OP then dont post. There are lots of forums/threads about pro XP vs Pro Vista, go there and rant about youre anti-vista feelings, no one here wants it. Or atleast I dont.

11. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    It's also pretty common knowledge that VISTA's defrag-application is seriously good and many actually prefer it to 3rd party defrag-application such as perfectdisk.
    And we know that "people" hate Vista , and are seriously quick to point fingers in any event that something fails.
    But it's still a pretty stupid comment since you have no idea what caused the problem, and just bashed Windows VISTA as soon as you got the opportunity to.

I will however withdraw my comment in that case that you can put up some proof that it was VISTA that caused this problem, or even give me a valid argument to why it's not a stupid comment.

12. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    Hog54 is from Boston, need we say more....

13. dipanzan

dipanzan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    pretty stupid comment imo

stop blaming Vista for the OP's problem...the problem might v occurred even if he had XP

I think while perfect disk was defragging...an antivirus scan was running which might v lead to some sort of sys file corruption

@Hog54-y dont u try Vista n then post stupid comments about

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've compared the results of Windows' built in defrag with Aus Logics Disk Defrag and IOBit's Smart Defrag and found the 3 to be nearly the same in the end result. None will run behind the other stating that the fragmentation is too low to justify a defrag. As for Hog54's immediate accusation that the problem is directly related to Vista...it sounds more like he's never run Vista and is simply voicing a misguided belief because he's read other people's complaints. Quite frankly, the only time I've seen or heard of a defrag causing problems was directly related to WindowsME in which running Defrag was known to corrupt system files or partitions. The fact that the problem exists regardless of which monitor is connected to which output would make the drivers appear to be the most likely cause. I would tend to agree with HaZe and GenClaymore, as you've already tried various driver versions. I'd take a shot at repairing Windows first and seeing what the end result is. If that fixes the problem, it's simply a corrupt system file.

15. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

You are on the Vista bashing wagon even if you say your not. I have had Vista 64 for almost a year, no BSOD, no lock ups, no crashes ever. I run my PC all day from 5am till 11pm, gaming most of the time and have had no issues with any games, or software. Sure some very old programs take a bit of tweaking to work but that is not a Vista problem. Vista is a new age OS. I would not expect it to run every old ass game there is. Microsoft had caught the bad press on OS before but Mac spent so much on bashing Vista, it never had a chance. Also the PC and laptop builders, like Dell and such did not put the hardware in the new units with Vista that it needed. 512 MB of ram was barely enough for Xp and is no wear near enough for Vista. But thousands of laptops were sold with just 512MB of ram. I would have hated that as well.

Please refrain from talking about what you do not know about. I will refrain from calling you a Dumbass because I will get some naughy points. Though you need to be called something.... twit maybe. :)

16. dipanzan

dipanzan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    well said m8:)

17. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Right, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are ahead of schedule and have dropped certain features from development.

If you base your decision to upgrade to an operating system on whether or not corporations have adopted it then you clearly have no idea nor experience in the corporate environment. Large businesses are literally THE last people to adopt a new Operating System. Anyone who has worked for large corporations will tell you that there is so much bureaucracy involved it takes years to move forward. Your logic behind Vista being a failure is flawed for that glaring reason.

I do get a good laugh out of a few reviewers for Vista stating Corporations lack of adoption as to why it's a failure. If that is your train of thought then XP was also a failure as it's adoption wasn't any faster in the corporate world.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  18. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2060 KO
    If it wasnt for boston we wouldnt be here.lol

19. chubbzilla

chubbzilla New Member

GPU:
    HD5970
    I don't get it......:3eyes:

Alright, I HAVE RESOLVED THE PROBLEM. After initial disappointment from the re-install of Vista NOT fixing the problem, I just tried random sh*t. The way I fixed the problem was to turn the PC off, turn the monitor off (which I'd done a billion times) then unplug the monitor's power from the socket, and the DVI cable from the back of the monitor.

I then restarted the PC, and everything apeared as it should, in my case, one monitor and an LCD TV (My second monitor being disconnected, of course). I shut the PC down.

I reconnected the DVI cable to the rear of the screen, and the power cord to the socket, then restarted the PC again. Once I was loaded and logged in, I turned the monitor on. Lo and behold, it FUKN WORKS :bounce:

So I hope this helps someone else avoid all the frustration I've been through. Thanks to everyone who posted HELPFUL AND RELEVANT advice :)

20. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Glad you got it fixed Chub. On the defrag topic...a couple days ago I interupted defragger on my E partition. The next day I couldn't boot (stop error). I hosed the NTFS on the C partition somehow. I had to run recovery console from my Vista disk to repair. I know I shouldn't have stopped the defrag but I've done it many times before (doesn't make it a good idea though). However, I am now going to stick with Auslogics and Vista's defrag (which is great albeit slow) from now on. I'd make sure defrag runs when nothing else is scheduled (I manually do all my maintenance so this doesn't happen).

Lex

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008