Nvidia VS AMD - Driver Unification

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by cookieboyeli, Sep 30, 2015.

1. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    When Nvidia releases a new driver, there are 10 separate versions of it.

When AMD releases drivers, there are only 2 versions to cover all supported systems!

Why is this even an issue?
    Why am I bringing it up? Well...

If you support multiple mobile and desktop systems with different OS's, including 32 and 64 bit versions of each you are going to have a LOT of drivers to download. Seriously, at around 290MB each for Nvidia driver we're talking 2.9 GIGABYTES OF THE SAME EXACT DRIVER. That's absolutely NUTS!

With AMD, you only need a 32 and 64 bit driver. 300MB each.
    Plus possibly a legacy driver for those pesky HD 2000, 3000, 4000 laptops that just won't die. But it's only 185MB so that's not too bad (getting it to actually install is the hard part). :bang:

As for Intel's drivers... I don't even want to talk about it.

Anyway, let me give you some visuals so it sinks in a bit better.

AMD:
    [​IMG]

Nvidia:
    [​IMG]

See what I'm saying? Why not just unify Windows 10 like AMD does? If AMD can do it Nvidia can do it.

I'm not letting mobile off the hook here either. In fact these should be the first to unify. Nvidia mobile cards don't have anything special about them preventing them to be added to the main drivers. Many of you guys simply mod the dev and icafe desktop drivers with an .inf file to install on notebooks.

To which I would reply, if they were really stretched so thin supporting so much then they'd have dropped support for Vista and XP years ago like AMD did.
    Now of course some of you will say that Nvidia doesn't have to resources to support this or something like that bla bla bla. Well if they were really stretched so thin supporting so much they would have dropped XP and Vista ages ago like AMD did.

For those of you not in the know, AMD really doesn't support Vista or XP anymore. Half of these links lead to the "Go f*ck yourself page" as I like to call it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The remaining few lead to anything between 13.1 and 14.4.

Not that I expect AMD to bother supporting HD 3100 notebooks from 2009 running Windows freaking Vista. I don't even bother with that crap. :bang: I flat out tell customers either I'm fresh installing 7+ or you're going to staples. Many have protested, none have refused.

Anyway, what do you people think of this? Are you going to sh*t all over me for bringing it up?
    How about you ManuelG? Have you heard anything about the drivers being unified? I'm sure many, many people would appreciate the Windows 10 drivers being combined with the Vista/7/8/8.1 drivers.

Think of all the bandwidth you'll save! :nerd:

I know it's possible, but is it feasible?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    As I've mentioned recently, AMD should make a pure WDDM 2.0 Windows 10 driver, and then have a legacy driver for Windows 7 and 8.1. The brilliant thing about that idea is that legacy devices can also be fully covered under this (since they can't make use of DirectX 12). This is fully workable, seeing as Windows 10 can use Windows 7 and 8.1 drivers for graphics.

To avoid the possibility of someone with a GCN card installing the legacy driver on Windows 10 (seeing as they are supported under Windows 7 and 8.1) you could have a separate INF. I believe in the INF they can block the driver being installed on Windows 10. So, one inf covers non-legacy devices for Windows 7 and 8.1 (Windows 10 installation blocked) and another INF covering legacy devices for Windows 7, 8.1, and isn't blocked for Windows 10.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I am certainly not a pro when it comes down to drivers, but it's a valid point. Only that I always had the hope that nvidia drivers were less bloated and probably more optimised due to so many different versions. Yet again, I have two rigs at home, and downloading 400 or 500MB isn't really a big deal, although my connection is just a 20Mbit one.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The idea I said above equally applies to Nvidia as it does AMD. The download could also be a fair amount smaller easily, but that's another matter entirely :).

5. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3080 Master
    So you'd rather Nvidia remove all their optimization for multi-threaded DX11 and the like in order to get a smaller download?

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    No, I was referring to the way the drivers are packaged :).

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    From client point of view I am for specialized drivers. From developer point of view I am for unified drivers.

8. fellix

fellix Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA² GTX 1080 Ti
    Nvidia has much broader "portfolio" of middleware and platforms to support, that's why their software distros are larger and more diverse.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I see this thread, not lasting very long. No amd vs nvidia threads do.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah it's nuts cause it's not the same exact driver. At all.

11. Cryio

Cryio Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    AMD can bundle WDDM 1.1, 1.3 and 2.0 in the same driver package for both desktop, mobile and iGPUs. The only thing different is they have 2 packages, one for x86 and one for x64.

Nvidia apparently has to do 2 drivers, one for WDDM1.1 and 1.3 (comes in the same package) and one for WDDM 2.0. They also need 2 versions of each, one for desktop and one for laptops. And they need 2 versions of these last ones, one for x86 and one for x64.

Nvidia's solution is messy, no way around that.

AMD ends up with 2 driver packages for 3 platforms while Nvidia has 8 driver packages for 2 platforms.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    True, but my suggestion also works. Why have WDDM1.2 support in Windows 10? For legacy devices of course. Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, still neither WDDM 2.0, so why just have all non-WDDM 2.0 stuff in one complete driver and a WDDM 2.0 driver, for DirectX 12/Windows 10 compliant devices in another? The Windows 7 and 8.1 laggards aren't really missing much. If having the latest is so important to them, WTF are they still on Windows 7/8.1 ;). Besides, they will still get drivers either way.

You are partially wrong anyway. AMD has 4 drivers, 2 normal and 2 legacy. My suggestion you still end up with 2 normal and 2 legacy, the only difference being development on the drivers would be easier. You don't have to worry about mucking up support for different OS's. For Nvidia, if the driver files are the same, then that's different.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes the whole issue is about HIM getting smaller download.

He's so self absorbed he can't count the number of driver releases in HIS own screenshot in HIS own thread.
    Notice he says that Nvidia has 8 separate drivers for each release.
    Yet even according to HIS screenshot there are at least 10.
    But hey, he "dropped XP and Vista ages ago like AMD did" so for HIM there are only 8 separate drivers.

Jebus...imagine getting him to appreciate ALL the consideration that went into the decision of having 10 different packages.

Then its a pretty easy decision which path to follow, right?

EDIT: Pardon for the tone. Just speaking my mind :D

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't know why this is even an issue for most people. If you go to Nvidia's website you tell the site what GPU and OS you are running. The result returns 1 driver.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    because...

he "supports multiple mobile and desktop systems with different OS's

and he's
    Imagine every 30 days or so having to download 2.32GB... the humanity of it!

16. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Meh i just dont really care. Storage is cheap.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Why would you need to download every one?

Is it like, having to put in a support request to Nvidia asking if you need to download the 32-bit driver twice because you're on 64-bit, or something?

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Dunno seems kind retarded tbh.

19. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    Yes, AMD's driver policy has worked out great, hasn't it?:rolleyes:

20. Hübie

Hübie Member

GPU:
    MSI TFG GTX 770 4GB @SLi
    Srsly, cookieboyeli? Is this a new level of hating or bashing? Shame on you.
    Go buy an AMD Notebook and download a driver from the AMD-Site. Good luck. Try to get a WDDM 2.0 Driver. Good luck. Go get a 3D-Driver Package from AMD. Good luck. Go get a Physics Library from AMD. Good luck. Go get Raptr from AMD for recording and streaming videos, optimize game* - it's not included!

Did you noticed anything??? :3eyes::rolleyes:

*where optimized is not the right word in some cases...