Nvidia Unveils Titan X At GDC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Just saw at VCz nVidia are already sending out samples to reviewers apparently...pretty quick.

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    A lot of the VR machines at GDC were using them, they'll probably announce the release at GTC.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeap there is an announcement coming regarding full specs of the Titan X coming at the GTC on March 17th which is Saint Patricks day so i will be out partying on that day anyhow. Hopefully a release date will be around the end of March.

Cant wait.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Really, that soon. :)

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Possible tbh, very possible, many reviewers have cards or cards being shipped to them right now. Also if you look closely at the cards they have all the stickers and stuff intact which shows Nvidia are not far away from shipping these too retailers. The 690 was the same, it just appeared and then BooM 3-4 weeks later it was on sale in retailers.

Notice how everything over at AMD has gone quiet lol. Very smart move by Nvidia showing there card first amidst all the AMD 380/390x crap, maybe we will see a repeat of AMD pulling there 390x card and releasing at later date just like they did with the 7990 because the 690 spanked any existing cards that were due to be released at the time. We may see the same thing happen again, wouldn't surprise me with AMD, not only do they turn up to the party late but history has shown that sometimes that they dont bother turning up at all.
    Maybe they've gone back to the drawing board once again....

I mean the 390x is rumoured to have a hybrid water cooler as stock...wtf...like your forced to use it cause they cant cool it adequately enough using an air cooler.

You can put Lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.:)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  6. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    I really wish AMD would step up the quality of their cards. I'm tired of Nvidia charging ridiculous prices and getting away with it.

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    690 is the best dual gpu card in my opinion, 295X2 is honoable mention but 690 existed b4. 7990 was horrible and took too many time to be able to do something, plus it was the time that users found out about false fps reporting from fraps and other software while running xfire...

U know, nvidia hold 76% and AMD knows it need to do something, and nvidia probably gonna allow it with titan X. 1350$ vs 600-700$.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The Nvidia 295's were good dual cards also, a proper volt mod on the dual PCB cards. The single PCB cards although without a unlocked volt mod ran better than the dual PCB's on Air but on water the dual PCBs were very very good.

Watercooling in those days was an infancy though compared to what it is now.

9. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    For what they're gonna charge for one of these you'd think they could put a backplate on the thing.

But seriously folks, who actually needs one of these? What kind of insane resolution do you need to be running to need 12 GB of VRAM on a gaming rig?

10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    12GB RAM is most definitely overkill if just one card is used. This is high-end stuff though and in SLI, 12GB doesn't seem that crazy.

With a 144hz monitor, I could make use of one of these @ 1080p. The current top end cards wont give you 144fps in the most demanding games with all the eye candy + AA.

11. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Be great for GPGPU rendering, can't say you'd be using 12GB in a game anytime soon though.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm assuming a non-titan version with 8GB will be out soon enough for $700. $1000 for the Titan. Anything more and I wouldn't pay for it, better off just getting two 980s.

13. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Well it will be nice to have a card which is finally more powerful than a 690 (discounting the Titan Z because the price was ridiculous), I've said from the beginning when they release something a single GPU with double the performance across the board then I'll bite and this sounds mighty close.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 980 is more powerful than a 690, in nearly every game I have it performs better -- slightly obviously but yeah.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Not really worth the sidegrade though is it coming from a 690, mean I woulda been gutted buying a 980 now the tx has came about. Glad I sent my 980s back tbh.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I mean told you to wait :p

It is a sidegrade but I couldn't stand being on SLI, I had a bunch of problems with various things that are specific to my setup (oculus DK2 was at the time completely broke with SLI enabled) 690 was a beast card though, getting 980 performance in 2012 was pretty nice.

I'm probably buying a 390x/Titan anyway depending on what makes more sense when either one launches.

17. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I can't see it having double the performance of a 690, maybe 50% better.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm thinking closer to 40%. With restrictive power management they can definitely fit two 980's @ 300w. The problem is the die size. The 980 is already pretty big and they can't just double it without creating a giant expensive chip. Judging by the number of transistors in relation to the 980, I think 40% better performance is what it's going to end up being. I mean a 780Ti was 60% larger then a 680. The Titan Black is only 30% larger then a 980.

19. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Fair enough. Is there a confirmation on the core/transistor count yet?

I'm hoping it wont have the full core count which will give me hope that there will be a situation similar to Titan/780ti.

My fear is that this time Nvidia are going to restrict the full die only to the Titan X and also increase the price. I'm predicting closer to $1500 than $1000 on this one.....

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The reason why I sent my 980s back was the lack of an i2c voltage controller. As soon as I looked at the datasheet I instantly regretted my purchase. The reduced phases on the 980 dont help anyhow, even the classified and kingpin wont clock as high as they should. I'm not sure about the kingpin as ive not looked into it and tbh I couldn't careless about it lol.

I know the classified is not that good considering, basically the 980 is a barebones (stripped down) of what the titan x and new Ti are/will be.