NVIDIA Unreal Engine 4 Plugin Brings DLSS To More Games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2021.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I dont recall anything like that in CB. What you have shown appears to be a rare anomaly. Just went into the game and took some ss and uploaded several to google drive of many characters at varying distances.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FncNTyYxFKDKE9--lfHyUSDLG8TdEPTJ?usp=sharing

I could do what you are doing with ANY game. To search for odd one-off cases that are not representative of the whole to make some disingenuous case that the game is flawed as a result. :rolleyes:

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is from your own screenshot.
    Look at image you just posted. Looks like you are posting a lot of anomalies without remembering.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Poor AMD guys :-(

itpro and GoldenTiger like this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    From your earlier post:
    These are not same distances to characters in the 3 games as you earlier stated:

[​IMG]

The orig CB image is a massive pic and that NPC is far away. When you sit in front of the screen and view the whole pic, you can hardly see that character! Where are the originals to the other pics you compared it to so we can see relative distance? In game, that CB characters face will of course be detailed once you move in closer! Thats the way things work in all games! I'm sorry but your cred just went completely downhill after this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Just so you can't complain, I went far enough so HL2 character is actually noticeably smaller than one from your screenshot and Inserted 1:1 selection from your screenshot as comparison.
    https://pasteboard.co/JTUKQOy.jpg
    And Payday 2 with same treatment:
    https://pasteboard.co/JTUR7aN.jpg
    And from mathematical perspective they are "same" distance. When you use 60 degrees fov and stand farther away it is mathematically same portion of screen as when you use 90 degrees fov and are closer.

You could set yourself an benchmark. Like 1 pixel per cm of height of object. So for 175cm tall human, you would go far away till that human is ~175 pixels tall. Or you adjust fov so he gets visually closer/farther.

Your problem is assuming that I would cheat. And that's because you believe one has to cheat to get better visuals than CP2077 delivers when it gets to fine details at distance.

Edit: And side note: "If you think those characters are too small and you can hardly see them, they are way bigger than what people shoot at in CS. What's small? People in Apex Legends/ Battlefield/ ... which you notice as 3~5 pixel tall movement in distance and are not worth shooting at with 8x optics as bullets have travel time. Dude being like 150 pixels tall is not hardly noticeable unless he is washed out to point where your brain no longer interprets him as human being."

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    ^ On second thought and on closer examination of the pics, you are right. That orig CP ss of the scene has missing details on the faces compared to the other examples. Its just shoddy work on CDPR's part. Part of the numerous glitches in the game. The games maps are so massive and brimming with detail in so many areas that they cant get everything right. The other example of several NPCs faces I posted earlier do not have this issue.

Bottom line, the overall IQ, detail, lighting, graphical rendering of the game are stunning to say the least. I played GTA5 at 4k and was not as half impressed as I was with CP77. So YES, you can find visual glitches and anomalies on close inspection, but they dont detract from the overall visual impact of the game. :)

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do agree with you on general sentiment. Yet, reason why those images with people close by had good details and why those bit farther away are bad is simple.
    Game uses aggressive LOD scaling. They reduce model and texture details too fast. Which is case of that building "12" too.
    Problem is that broken buildings turn to low quality while they still cover large portion of screen. And people are still large enough for them to have much more detail.

I do not have the game, but you can walk around and see at what distance human models actually turn into bad ones.

I do not disagree on effects having higher potential up close. But as you stated, it is game with large areas. And that results in a lot of things being in medium/long distances.

alanm likes this.
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Guys wtf. Cyberpunk has so many issues, including performance ones, but it probably has the best materials and atmosphere rendering I've seen in my life. If you use Jackie's bike, for example, just check it. Or pretty much any model in the game.

The problem of this game is that they obviously ran out of time to do proper LOD/optimization work (hence the blurry NPC in the comparison shot). Otherwise materials/lighting are some of the best, if not the best made.

GTA V looks flat and like an early PS4 game (which it is).

alanm likes this.