nVidia to Simplify their Product Line

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Musouka, May 8, 2008.

1. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    Taking a hint from ATI?

NVIDIA Dumbing Down Their Product Line

Anyone into computer gaming knows NVIDIA is one of the biggest names in video cards today, but imagine being new to PC gaming, knowing nothing at all about video hardware, and wandering into a Best Buy to try and determine which graphics solution suits your needs. It's like being a man sent to the grocery store for feminine hygiene products (should I get Super?), only slightly less embarrassing. NVIDIA's VP of Content Business Development Roy Taylor says that the company is working to make their products more consumer-friendly.

it remains to be seen how exactly they'll manage this - perhaps a big white box that says "Will run World of Warcraft" on it, but it's nice to see them moving in a more consumer friendly direction.

NVIDIA to "simplify" product range [GamesIndustry.biz]

2. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    How does the pure marketing related naming of the GeForce 9-series fit into this?

3. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    I was just thinking about this today. It`s not only confusing for customers but also uneconomical for Nvidia.

Every series of cards could do with 3 models. No need for all these different cards with minute differences in features, performance and price.

And also, no need to launch a new series unless it offers sybstantially superior performance.

4. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    disagreeing with the guy above

Obviously diversity is a GOOD thing for customers (Like me :nerd:)

What you want to have 3 cards one at 100 one at 300 and one at 500 ?
    That doesn't sound intelligent. Different people different budget and different needs.

5. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    I also think it`s a good thing, but this move is not about you and me. It`s about people who haven`t got a clue and are daunted by the sheer variety of video cards.

If not 3 models, then lat them make 4 each series. 100, 250, 350 and 500 if you like.

And also, it`s about Nvidia trying to achieve better economies of scale, which would push down overall prices.

6. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I just wish they come up with a good naming convention and we, the gamers/modders/overclockers don't lose over this in the end

As long as they continue having 10 or more product offered at a time from extreme to low-end

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Should bring back the MX, SE, TI naming system I prefered that and get rid of the 9xxxx naiming style

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Waste of time anyway, even if Nvidia cut the series range down to 3 levels, bottom, mid and top you would still have the issue of individual manufacturers pumping out different variants of these cards.

Look at this page here.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1009

EVGA alone have 4 variants of the exact same card. The only difference being that they seem to have graduated overclocks as you go up through the price. How is someone who's new to computing meant to know which one to get? All they see is most expensive ergo must be the best when in fact they could get the cheapest and just OC it themselves?

9. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    So this means no more

KTO
    Superclock
    Overclocked
    Power Clocked
    ROFL Clocked

10. mcBu113t

mcBu113t Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX @635/1540/1060
    I dont rly think its that hard
    The only 2 confusing things are as follows:
    1. 78xx is better than many 8xxx products and 88xx is much better than 96xx
    2. The whole new/old gts thing in the 8 series was just a bad idea

edit: but for within a given generation (7xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx etc) the system works very well i think. The higher then number the better then the more letters then alphabetically. I mean think about car model names. They are absolutely impossible!
    Sure the video card naming could be better but it actually is better than many other things which are distinguished by performance (monitors, cars, MICE, speakers...)
    But on the other hand i dont think it would be that hard to make the names as simple as processors. With them all you have to know is the different generations.

Last edited: May 8, 2008

11. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    finally, nvidia fixing their product namings..,

12. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Today's top story : NVIDIA promises to simplify naming.

Tomorrows news : NVIDIA releases 9800 GS/GT/GX/GTX/GTXMS/MXMGSTX/TGTMXGSMS

13. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I agree with far above. The old GeForce 2->4 series had it right. You get a GeForce 2 Ti 400/420/440/460. You can tell which generation it belongs to with the number 2, the Ti bit really isn't necessary, and the suffix number gives you a good idea of where it sits in the product line up. I suppose that's where ATi's new product naming has a rather robust structure, 3 for generation 4,6 and 8 for performance class and two extra digits that define it's rank in that performance class. Hence we get 3450/3650/3850/3870 which gives you a good idea of where all the cards sit respectively.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    But then again, the oblivious general consumer wouldn't look at eVga being the first option. eVga is obviously for computer geeks etc and that probably suits their style better.

Can you imagine eVga having this on their site...

If you want to run Crysis well buy this ---->

If you semi want to run it well buy this ----->

etc etc

I think the naming convention should be as Laykun suggested with the older series.

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Ati/AMD has a superior simpler naming scheme I feel. Its simple, its neat, its easy to understand, and its informative. There are no suffixes except X2 which just designates 2x whatever chips in the card.

Nvidia had this option when releasing the 8800 GT line, but knew the 8800 was a 'trusted brand name' over the past year and wanted to throw it in together with the others.

Then they jump a generation with the 9800 GX2 to sort of try to 'trick' people into thinking its completely knew and that much better (this is my opinion of course).

At least ATI/AMD seems to be staying consistant with their naming scheme.

16. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    haha ROFL......
    i like your boob :banana:

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    They used to have simple scheme but they ****ed it up.

Low end cards should be marked with MX, mid range GT and high end Ultra. No more other crap since we really don't need it.
    Then just mix in the numbers. This way you know where it belongs in the price range and number would simply mark how strong it is in that range. Or like it was in the GeForce 2 days.
    GeForce 2 MX, Pro, GTS and Ultra. No other numbers or crappy marks.

18. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    Or the one I saw. EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512mb 640M

ROFL xD

But the naming scheme is simple:
    8800GTX > 9800GTX = 8800GTS 512 > 8800GTS 640
    8800GT > 9600GT > 8800GS = 9600GSO

xD hell yeah!

19. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    They should just go for something that actually means something, like 2K8-GTX.

20. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    no they should go with chip revisions over the first genuine chip, ''end'' of the card (low mid high) anyway it needs to be something that works well in comparison with others, what they need is UNITS

ONE NUMBER that says it all, the higher the number the more powerfull the card, that's it
    if it has similar power but in a different way for example

the 125 cards is rather similar to this 125b card but one has 256 bit interface the other 512 bit, one has more ROPs and core frequency while the other one has lower

What ever number they want to use if you build a lower end card, it has a lower number that would be equal or similar to an older card but by the letter you could differentiate them