NVIDIA to replace RTX 3060 GPU with GA106-302 chip to suppress ETH mining

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    KissSh0t, rl66 and Neo Cyrus like this.
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I still don't really get the point of this. Just mine RVN on it instead - still extremely profitable. Not to mention that ETH can just update daggerhash to avoid it. Just seems like a temporary solution that will either be bypassed by hackers, nvidia itself (lol) or the foundations that build the coins in the first place. I guess you get a few weeks of distribution to mostly gamers but that didn't seem to change the situation when the 3060 launched anyway.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I think it's a start, a beginning with more limits to follow on a wider scope of cryptocurrencies.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What does it help when cards obviously ordered for crypto mining get seized by Hong Kong customs?

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    this time it will certainly work.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Reported to my EU overlords for work(load) discrimination.

Have fun with their lawyers.

Thx

EspHack and UnrealGaming like this.
  7. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
  8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    No clue why they even bother at this point, it's clear neither ngreedia nor AyyymD are worried about gamers.

GSDragoon likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It could probably be done but from the drivers seems like a better solution or at least practicality it can't be simple to revise the hardware for every current popular algorithm and changes that might happen.
    Will be very interesting to hear how this all goes though and I suppose over time as newer chips are produced those can naturally roll over into fabrication against updated ones plus upcoming GPU variants.

10. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Its a pointless chase, long term. As developers can always write a new mining algorithm. Short term however, if they could TRULY block ethash ( and maybe ProgPow variants like KawPow ), at least until eth goes proof of stake, it could maybe help, slightly. But then again, Nvidia is sill using materials and production capacity for their mining gpu line and AMD isn't blocking anything. So... i don't know... doesn't feel like this would even make a dent.

If anything's going to help, before ETH goes proof of stake, It's really gonna be a combination of EIP1559 this summer, which should reduce mining rewards somewhat, more ASICs and hashrate in general catching up to the price. But, that's only if the price doesn't skyrocket as well. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

11. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    You forgot to include the required amount of sarcastic bear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I dream of the day that collective thought finally realizes that DRM'ing stuff is a counterproductive waste of time & resources that ultimately backfires

rl66 likes this.
  13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Interesting, but total BS, i have just noticed that NVidia have change their subtitle from "NVidia, leader in gaming GPU" to "NVidia, leader in computing" since the keynote...
    All is said.

AsiJu, Turanis, alanm and 1 other person like this.
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    We also need a scalper limiter.

15. Ryan01

Ryan01 Guest

GPU:
    Hey can someone help me out so is this article saying that the old 3060 are going to be useless because I have 2 of them does that mean you can only use the new ones? Or will I still be able to operate my current chip GA 106-300

16. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    How about we just teach people about these scams so they stop putting money in that the Chinese and others are just siphoning off? If there wasn't real currency to steal, there wouldn't be any reason to fake "mine" this worthless crap.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Those were smuggled illegally.

18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    rl66 likes this.
  19. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    There is no supply increase that will ever satisfy miners. They will just keep buying more and more because more GPUs just means more money. Nvidia has to nerf mining on gaming GPUs and segment the market or PC gaming will absolutely get destroyed over time and the entire PC gaming industry along with it. No matter the supply, if mining is profitable, miners simply won't allow gamers to get GPUs. They'll buy them all up instantly in massive quantities.

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It was used on pro page, since (i know i had more quadro than geforce in my life), but the main website were still "gaming GPU" until this one.
    Mean "we please miner, they have more money than gamer :) , and we will change the mercedes limo... ho? we can't due to component shortage... crap... maybe gaming were nice, le'ts think about it for 2023"