NVIDIA to limit hash rate of GeForce RTX 3060 GPUs and will launch NVIDIA CMP for professional mining

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    The miners can't sell these off to gamers when they are done with them, the miners will just continue to buy everything that can mine before they leave china regardless of what the intended end user is.

2. PPC

PPC Active Member

GPU:
    I have been in the loop on mining for a long time and i havent heard about a custom product that uses nvidia chips for crypto mining. You got any sources on your wild theory?

3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 STRIX
    id keep the 2080ti for gaming and mine on 3090

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8G
    Sure, but maybe after I sell my GPU first for some nice profit :p

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    Plus who on earth would want a second hand card which has probably been hammered by the miner and still over priced. No Thanks i'd rather wait in line for 6 months.

The1 likes this.
  6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Is this even legal, they sold the cards, took the money, and now they are going to gimp the cards to stop the end consumer doing specific things with them after purchase, i doubt this will end well for nvidia.

7. brogadget

brogadget Active Member

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    As long as miners pay almost nothing for energy, nothing can stop them. And in the end, we all have to pay the bill for the climate change! I know this sounds pathetic.

IMO nvidia is doeing this to polish up their image. Why should they care if drivers or bios can be hacked? Nvidia is only responsible to share holders.

If nvidia really cares, then they may implement a kind of hw- protection, impossible or at least difficult to hack, in all NEW generations of cards.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  8. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    What do you mean? 3060 hasn't launched yet and they released information to public before launch so everyone can make educated purchase decision. This doesn't effect cards that people already bought.

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^So just the rtx3060 unreleased cards, well that is good to hear. :)

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    https://news.bitcoin.com/nvidia-pos...s-of-gpus-to-crypto-miners-reach-175-million/

since nvidia sells directly to miners i speculated that nvidia sells directly chips too is not really out of the world really , but even if all those where reference cards will not be the first time custom bios will make an appearance that benefit mining ...where there are money to be made there are people willing to do things .

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Good luck with that...

[​IMG]

12. labidas

labidas Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    ...I think it's time to call this thread dead. We are entering conspiracy theory territory.

13. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    LOL don't you know that cavemen caused climate change(ICEAGE) after killing all the mammoths and eating them over there fossil fuel fires. I love all the crazy on these threads with people who have options on how bad crypto is. At least some sane people have a clue. I wonder how many people who denounce GPU mining are secretly GPU mining. If there morals hold up , well they lost out on free PC gear.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    John Carmack should just stick to developing games than comment on anything else:

"Given shortages and speculators on things like 3090 GPUs and new consoles, it seems like we really would be better off with a transparent auction system directly from the manufacturers..."

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1362619560763949060

15. PPC

PPC Active Member

GPU:
    Pigs growing wings aint out of realm of possibility yet it has not happened.

There are no products that contain nvidia chips and mines crypto but isnt a GTX/RTX card. Not that i know of and i consider myself knowledgeable enough in the field that i should be aware of such a thing, if existed.

16. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i remember some 1060 based cards with no video outputs, miners only. A chinese product.

But anyway answering to other post, the issue on power consumption is real. It may be a drop in the sea as for climate issues, but i mean you do not need to add waste on waste, is still a waste.

17. PPC

PPC Active Member

GPU:
    Those 1060 without video output are an nvidia product. Gigabyte made and branded most of them but other AiB partners also. The chinese figured out how to modify the bios so that the card could be used as an accelerator card (paired with the one with video output) and then sold it as a gaming card at a fraction of a price. Really do not think nvidia ever sold just chips of their GPU to be used as the buyer pleased.

18. Freeman

Freeman Member Guru

GPU:
    460 768Mb
    Where are all the new ''ASIC's for crpytos''?
    Application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC)

This must be silly. I dont see ETH going past 2k. 2.5k is absolute max.
    Im not sure I do know that.

19. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
  20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/nv...ce-with-anti-mining-equivalents.381129/page-6
    Interesting, so it could still be fully effective at other hashes and those could now gain traction if Etherium mining is impacted by NVIDIA's decision here.
    Though I assume having multiple algorithms or detection methods would also increase the likelihood of a false positive and hampering performance elsewhere.

Fox2232 likes this.