NVIDIA to limit hash rate of GeForce RTX 3060 GPUs and will launch NVIDIA CMP for professional mining

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2021.

1. labidas

labidas Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    and how do you disable mining on a gpu exactly? and if in some parallel universe that's possible, why should you (if you were the CEO of nVidia)? I wouldn't. Nvida and AMD are making killer profits atm.

I would like to add one point to this whole debacle...
    I live in Estonia. Our median income is ~1200€/month without taxes. In general the prices of computer hardware are 20-30% cheaper in the US than here and the wages are 3x bigger, yet we don't much complain. So there's that. Puts things into perspective.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Some of the arguments in here are really dumb.

ETH's mining algorithm is designed to mimic a consumer workload.. they want the work to be done by consumers and not large corporations that will build ASICs. You can't "stop it in hardware" because doing so would also destroy gaming performance as it's basically the same thing. If you build something "specific" in hardware that targets ETH, they can just fork the coin negating the hardware lock specific to ETH.

People keep saying the CMP cards will split the production pipeline, but 1. It's possible these cards aren't Ampere. 2. It's possible these cards have defects in the video output pipeline - which means they wouldn't have been gaming cards anyway.

Exactly, you can't. You can target specific miners like Nvidia is doing here but the general idea behind mining with ETH is that the workload is designed for consumer GPUs. If you try to nerf hashrate by targeting how ETH is mining, it's going to bleed into other consumer workloads. So it needs to specifically look for ETH - in which case they can just fork it, change it slightly and it's for naught.

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I have low expectations of this being effective. Nonetheless, I didn't think I'd be thanking nvidia today.

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 STRIX
    doesn't matter if they are ampere or not.
    all that matters is what chunk of fabrication process they're going take up.
    if this was additional wafer capacity bought by nvidia it's gonna make things better,at least a little bit.
    if not,then it's not gonna change anything.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    A GPU that is mining is a GPU doing GPGPU as per its intended use and design - nothing to "solve" here.
    But Nvidia and Zotac both know that appeal to rationality is futile. So they went along instead.
    ('Can't Get You Out of My Head'/Kahneman, anyone?)

All this witch-hunt has achieved is scared Nvidia into making GPUs that we can't use for gaming GJ :rolleyes:
    Miners are still willing to pay more than us. Because GPU is worth more to them than to us. Meaning they will still buy all our RTX. Read about markets LOL

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    There's only so much Nvidia can do. If they happen to make cut-down versions of their chips, this would allow them to produce more of them, to meet demand. To my knowledge, Bitcoin mining isn't super VRAM intensive, so if models were sold with limited VRAM then that would also help with supply issues, while driving down costs of the CMPs. Again, win-win for everyone. The CMPs can also be built with very basic heatsinks, which would be another way to speed up production.
    We're not going to stop miners any time soon, so we might as well just accept this reality. If we can give them the bare minimum of what they need, that leaves more for everyone else.

Well if we want to go by that logic:
    [​IMG]

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Watch it still be three times the price.

8. jarablue

jarablue Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 960m 2GB
    Does it even matter? There are none in stock no where. Who cares?

Wake me up when 2022 gets here and the virus is gone and things are actually buyable again in society. Until then, there is no supply with unreal demand. No stock. No get nothing. Come on 2022 and a virus free society again.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I suggested this in another thread but it seems pointless, like many replied...

Time to dust of the classics and go for some retro/classical gaming.

Or maybe time to find a new hobby...

Airbud likes this.
  10. RaMDaY

RaMDaY Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    Yeah, I figure someone will just release modded drivers to get around this. Until Nvida floods the market with mining versions of the top cards I don't see this changing much but it definitely cannot hurt.

11. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    How exactly do you think new money is 'made' for the world economy, governments don't print it all as we would like to believe they do.

labidas likes this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    At least steps are being made to help us gamers, progress is progress cause at this rate we'll never see another decently priced gpu again (except the uber expensive ones still available like 3090).

13. labidas

labidas Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    "it needs to be reigned in politically and not from gpu etc manufacturers.... it should NOT be legal to 'Mine' money this way..."
    This is the absolute state of how ill-informed people can get about how our world works and they are blindly giving up rights for their own ill-conceived notions of what is right and wrong even though it has no basis in reality. :(
    Sad thing is, no one actually teaches those things in school. The primary objective is still to create well behaving worker bees. You either figure things out for yourself or stick with the system (of which inner workings your have no knowledge of).

carnivore and Zooke like this.
  14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    I'd happily live in a world where miners and gamers are both equally taken care of, that's not how it is now though.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I'm glad they are doing this but it feels too little too late in some cases. Unless they plan on re-releasing the RTX 3090/3080/3070 and all variants this way in the hopefully near future. I'll change my mind then, and hope that AMD follows suit on this and does this with all future releases. They have been forced to tell the truth about the shortages through the mistake ZOTAC made. But wait...maybe they did that on purpose for this to happen!

16. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Personally:
    Recently bought an overpriced 3090 and banished my 2080ti to my mining rig next to my 1080.

I understand the "do something" mentality but sure as hell won't be paying nvidia rocketing prices or buying each new gen of cards if putting old gpu's to work is no longer an option.

Seriously, after almost 4 decades as a pc gamer, microsoft, nvidia, and game studios bullcrap are driving me out of gaming. Recently I am now spending more on guns and boats (my two other hobbies) than I did on pc gaming.

Fundamentally:
    Really we need to get crypto off gpu in the first place. A found a thumb drives sized 50$ asic that could outchurn my gpu on I think it was litecoin.

17. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Its no good solution, its crippling some cards.. you cant buy them cheaper after they are no more used for mining, for gaming, or reuse them on other things. Much better solution would be some cheaper cards, without half of gaming features specialized just for mining...

But if someone says (and its right) that such cards would be somehow blocked, because its against some crypto mining philosophy / rules.. it will not help.

As far i understand situation, currencies are successful, because you are clean dirty money through them and you can gain any currency through it, if you live in some countries like Chine, but not really respect human freedom. You cant beat these two things in short term.. without actually kill main crypto currency advantage what is anonymity and "normal" financial market independence.. Other problem is that "normal" market is also quite crooked..

So only solution would be hope society decision is that crypto currencies bring more harm, than gain and ban them world wide as some bad things in the past - like lets say slavery..
    Yeah lots of people have money here, but lots of people invested their money to buy some slaves, it the past too and they lost them.. And there could be some transitional period and some time to try to exchange them before ban..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    You missed reality check here. Minors buy any and every GPU they can buy. Because it is very profitable to mine in China right now.
    AMD+nVidia can make 5 times as many GPUs per month and they would all be eaten locally as it did happen till now.

They take even laptops for mining now. That's how much it got out of hand.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How would that be a solution? After the cheaper cards are all purchased they'd just start purchasing the gaming cards again - it's not like it's enabling some hidden supply of cards.

20. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Only way how to limit hashrate or limit mining is through the BIOS update, I don't think limiting hashrate through the driver will ever work

If its done through the BIOS then good luck to anyone who is able mod BIOS for Ampere or Pascal, I think latest BIOS tweaker is for Maxwell?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

rl66 likes this.