NVIDIA to limit hash rate of GeForce RTX 3060 GPUs and will launch NVIDIA CMP for professional mining

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Doing this is pointless for already released products. People will just use older drivers. This solution can only work for upcoming products so miners don't have a "good" driver to downgrade to.

2. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Crypto currency is ok.. BUT, it needs to be reigned in politically and not from gpu etc manufacturers.... it should NOT be legal to 'Mine' money this way...

But i guess that now it have become such big business that politicians are afraid to touch it, fearing to loose their golden goose from lobbyists and contributors....

On a sidenote: the really big mining comanies/entities will not care for drivers i think... as i understand it, they have their own employees to write/rewrite this stuff (or am i wrong ?)

3. TOMPPIX

TOMPPIX Member

GPU:
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT
    mining cards only exist to make sure you can't buy second hand cards, nvidia doesn't get a cut if you buy a card second hand.

4. s1DDy

s1DDy Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti
    nvidia to launch professional mining cards...., prolly cards with no display out ports witch have no resell value for when (if ever) this bubble pops... smart....

5. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    So, Nvidia has a bunch of GPU's with defects that are not good for use in any normal graphic card and in a stroke of genius instead of dumping them in the trash bin they decided to sell them as "mining GPU's"?

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hack drivers will be used they need to implement that into the HW on all cards, but if done with drivers they could do it for all in theory

as for them making new card specificly for miners... that gona problem piss people off just as much as the zotac pr mess a day ago

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  7. bobnewels

bobnewels Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Stop making any sense on this forum when it comes to this topic. I love getting free stuff from mining on GPU's,
    Nvidia WTF are you thinking ,you sell every video card as it is and your not helping any PC gamer.I say bad move NVIDA

8. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    That's true, but at least we may see some regulations here and get the mining topic out of gaming's back yard ffs...Hopefully with future cards.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this will just create more shortage cause manfucatoring is gona split yet again and they will still use normal card and use older drivers or hack them

10. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC

11. bobrix

bobrix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 970@1542/8000
    Are they stupid 1660s doing 32Mh/s on 80W which dumb miner will buy their dedicated crap cards

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    None which why it probably gona make it worse. we still wont be able to find card and stock will be reduced even more cause make "speicalized" cards. they need to implent this in to NEW card HW so as it is not profitable anymore.
    And even if it in Bios like it being said, again custom bios will be used,

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So no 12gb version?

14. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Yea, great. $500, if achieved, for low middle end card (no matter what nvidia says, there is no 3xxx card that is lower performing that this) is better left to miners, they can get value out of it.
    I thought, well ok new tech in there, pioneering it, R&D costs, So Turing cards are expensive but for early adopters, it has always been like this. Then Ampere comes out with outrageous MSRP from the get go. I guess, if 3050 ever comes out to push 30fps in 1080p low/medium it will cost $300...

You're drunk nvidia, go home.

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    considering big mining companies have a lot of money to the point that nvidia sells directly to em chips ..and they do their own implementation .... how long till they write their own bioses ? 2 weeks if we are lucky !

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lol, what? Why? One and One is? Temporal logic?
    No minor will install newer driver when they get better has rate with older one.

17. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The limitations of, uh, limiting mining performance aside...

Promising better access to gamers and then producing dedicated mining cards solves literally nothing. You're still allocating a limited silicon budget towards mining, this time exclusively at that.

Which type of card will be more profitable for Nvidia I wonder?

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    How about this:

- Cripple/Disable mining on ALL Cards.
    - Don't even bother making mining specific products, and let mining DIE!

Best of both worlds.

Mining dies, Nvidia saves the planet and gamers get their cards at MSRP prices.

Undying likes this.
  19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well look at that, corporate greed helping the little guy, just like they screw pro users with quadro, now miners can have similar treatment

sure they will find workarounds, but its enough of a deterrence to impose market segmentation

20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well you can see how this has been going