Nvidia to 'control' AIBs custom RTX 2080/Ti reviews

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Aug 29, 2018.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    [H] NVIDIA Controls AIB Launch and Driver Distribution

... NVIDIA has demanded that its AIBs tell NVIDIA who will be reviewing the AIB's custom RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti cards. We were forwarded emails from other reviewers, from the AIBs that were asking specifically, at NVIDIA's direction, "Who will be performing the review content?" "What is that person's phone number and email address?" That is a bit odd, as we have never seen this before in 20 years of reviewing video cards. AIBs in the past have been left to pretty much operate their own review campaigns on new video cards, but that seems to have come to an end. From these lists of reviewers submitted to NVIDIA by the AIBs, NVIDIA has put together its own list of "approved reviewers," and sent their approved list back to the AIBs in order to let them know who they are allowed to sample review cards to. Much like NVIDIA exerted control over AIB's and OEM's brands with GPP, it is now exerting control over who the AIB has review its own custom cards.

This is where it gets a bit more interesting, and likely should give you concern with any leaked benchmarks you see on the web. NVIDIA is not allowing its AIBs to distribute drivers with their review cards. For a reviewer to have access, he must first sign NVIDIA's multi-year NDA (which is fine if you are "just" a card reviewer), then he will log into a protected site which is most likely a secured version of GeForce Experience in order to obtain the driver, and download from there into a specific machine with the new RTX card being present. If you are seeing any benchmarks between now and the ~20th (we think the 2080 launch and 2080 Ti launch will be split on different days possibly), you are likely not seeing cards benchmarked with its launch driver. So keep that in the back of your mind as you see performance leaks come forward...

More [HardOCP]

tunejunky, cryohellinc and Maddness like this.
  2. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Oh man this is gonna backfire...

I feel the heat rising.

Dragam1337 and cryohellinc like this.
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    So, in other words, take NVidia reviews with a grain of salt....

Dragam1337, cryohellinc and lucidus like this.
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Kys Nvidia. Thx.

Yes, the fire rises.

Shataan likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    What I take from that:
    1. Benchmarks will anyway only be reliable after launch, anything before that is practically worthless as the numbers change a week later with the release of the driver.
    2. Signing the NDA gets you in there, but after all you do it for unrealiable benchmarks an reviews that are out about a week before everybody without a signed NDA can have them.

While I know tech reporter's business is a time driven thing, I honestly think that it's not that bad to review a week later.
    I personally wait for waterblock availability anyway, so I have time to wait.

cryohellinc likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    This is very fishy indeed. Also recently Nvidia has suspended content creator from India (source) and recalled all of the hardware they provided, simply due to the fact that guy in his stream told to people - Not to pre-order before they actually see the benchmarks.

I really dislike what they are doing lately. The attempt with GPP didn't work out, so now they play dirty.

Tbh I plan to move to Zen 2 eventually if Navi delivers might as well go full red. Haven't had an AMD Gpu for Quite some time.

Dragam1337 and tunejunky like this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    "Demanded"

HardOCP language for "Let us know so we can send them review drivers"

nvidia is controlling this launch to mitigate leaks and ensure controls are followed that have even as recent as the 10 series caused performance abnormalities, nothing to see here, just Kyle with his tiny storm in a teacup.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

That's just a big can of nonsense (and I initially wrote another word there). NVIDIA always has tracked what media gets what AIB samples, period. You know who does that as well? AMD, they even regulate what brand and sample end up at what reviewer. How conveniently he forgets to mention that.

I think Kyle is letting his feelings getting to his better judgment.

0blivious, Netherwind, The1 and 13 others like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Well good to hear that from you Hilbert. Not that I doubted it would affect you or other major reviewers integrity of reviews, that would certainly blow back into Nvidias face. Had thought it was a measure to prevent independent reviewers or those with an agenda from dishing out stuff conforming to their biases. Thanks for your input on this.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/08/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice/

Turns out that Kyle's crystal ball of victimology was wrong:

11. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    I guess the new chief editor in Tom's HW is a certified nVidia reviewer.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    1m55s onwards...

13. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Why am I not surprised :rolleyes:

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    It just occurred to me that Kyle may be upset that he's missing out on the biggest hardware event of the year and cant do a review on it without looking silly. His anti-NDA stance was so aggressive that if he accepts the RTX cards for review, he would have to sign that NDA agreement. So he starts a poll in his forum and leaves the decision up to his forum members. So far not looking good for him as the nays outnumber the yeas.

Pretty sure he can come up with cards sooner or later to do his independent review, just that he will be behind the rest. He will miss out on first day reviews and the million clicks that would come with it. :rolleyes:

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I hope none of this crap is true! Reviewers should have "full" liberty to conduct their reviews as they see fit, as long as they don´t lie or misinform people, otherwise reviews are pointless... I´m seeing more and more stories like this concerning Nvidia and i really don´t like this kind of stuff...

Why can´t companies trust their own products...

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Read post 9.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I read it but how do we know that some reviewers aren´t being influenced by Nvidia or other companies anyway? The thing is Nvidia´s name is getting too involved in stories like this and that makes me "uncomfortable". And we can´t forget the GPP issue were Nvidia acted so secretly that it ended the way we know. Although personally i didn´t see a problem with it.

18. Unilythe

Unilythe Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Thanks Hilbert for this. On Reddit people were getting their pitchforks and I told them that Kyle is known to love drama and often needs some nuancing when he breaks a story. I'm glad you provided that nuancing.

Kyle never really lies, but sometimes leaves out information or just overdramatizes the whole situation. He does that a lot.

19. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Non-OC
    Nvidia are scared that leaks will affect preorders. Preorders are everything as seen by the removal of that tech tubers sponsorship for saying not to preorder. It's a cutthroat business.

20. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, well maybe all these youtube 'experts' should stick to telling us what they are going to do as opposed to telling everyone else what to do or how to spend their money.

The hubris of some of these people is truly staggering.