NVIDIA to Announce Ampere at GTC in 2020?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Don't think like that...NVidia will be lowering the prices of their old 2xxx stock when the 3xxx cards launch, and they should launch the 3xxx cards at no more than the 2xxx launch prices.
    Yep, these 3xxx cards will be the ones to get...I predict they will far less disappointing than the 2xxx series!

2. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    The performance increase was not all due to 7nm. Radeon VII, in addition of having more than twice the bandwidth of Vega 64, also had significantly higher clocks (around 300Mhz).

In relation to power consumption, I don´t think that Nvidia will be very concerned about it. They already have an efficient architecture, even compared to AMD's new 7nm offerings.

I think they are more likely to try to keep the TDPs at or slightly below for each segment and pull performance to the max in that envelope. About 250W will probably remain normal for the Nvidia top-end card.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nv leak once mentioned 3000 series will be a bit cheaper then current 2000 series, mostly or only xx70, xx80 and xx80Ti, 50-100$ cheaper.

I wonder what 3080Ti series is less expensive to them. Atm the cheapest 2080ti is still 1050€ lol

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Robbo9999 likes this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That 30% is perf/w not total performance uplift, with the same architecture - AMD didn't have to do much to yield a massive benefit in the same power envelope. Looking at the 5700XT, it's an additional ~15% better perf/w over VII, but it's a pretty radical architecture shift.

My point is that Nvidia could easily take Turing, tweak it slightly and drop it on 7nm+ EUV and get like 30-40% better efficiency with basically no architecture tweaks. So I don't think 50% better perf/w would be a farcry for them to hit. AMD basically did it and still isn't on 7nm+ EUV. I do agree that Nvidia probably has less room to improve their architecture but each release they surprise me by either maintaining or improving their lead.

The original rumor of 50% lower power, 50% greater performance was nonsense though

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Maddness likes this.

5. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Cant wait to see what the 3080 is like, im a bit underwhelmed with my rtx2080 tbh

6. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Waiting for a proper upgrade from my 1080ti. Bring the 3080ti :)

7. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    If we get a 2080 Super levels of performance card that it's 500EU or below, I will consider upgrading my 1070ti.
    The sad thing is, I just don't know any games that I want to play these days. It's kind of depressing, but I utterly despise modern gaming. Having some hopes for Cyberpunk and VtM2.

-Tj- and Embra like this.
  8. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Please Please bring us HDMI 2.1 GPUs

Maddness likes this.
  9. The Enforcer

The Enforcer Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    So basically, you preferred to tell us that your IQ is insanely low, in a total different way than you normally should...

Silva likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Exactly. You are one smart cookie.

11. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING SLI
    I hope leather jacket man can announce it as soon as possible so i can finally replace my 980 Ti SLI setup with a 3080 Ti/Super

12. Unreal--

Unreal-- Member

GPU:
    gtx1050ti
    the path nvidia taken by producing hardware accelerated raytracing gpus is realy great
    and we all know there is no rendering technique higher than raytracing,
    im sure nvidia will play it this way:
    rtx20: gpus that good performing in dxr reflection or shadow or ao
    rtx30:gpus that good performing in two technique that could be reflections and shadows
    and at the end it will be a gpu that can handle pathtracing with 30fps
    that what i think ,might be wrong

13. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I will not be surprised if the 50% performance is mostly in ray-tracing. I suspect that is where most of the improvements have been focused for this edition.

I will be happy to be proven wrong. I really hope I can get to GTC this year. I went last year and it was pretty good.

Maddness likes this.
  14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I would predict that it'll be more like 60-80% performance increase across the board for normal rendering, and I imagine double the ray tracing performance. Just a gut feel / intuition based on the bits I've read about and past experience & imagining future strategy.

pharma likes this.
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well we've seen that sort of perf gain before (with Pascal). Not so sure they can do it again with Ampere, but would be pleasantly surprised. But as to RT, I can see the bigger potential gains occurring there.

Maddness likes this.

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    3080 will be 100% faster than titan rtx.

3080ti 150% faster.

17. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Wishful thinking, but would be awesome if true.

warlord likes this.

18. Ба́ба-Яга́

barbacot likes this.
  19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It's a hint. Sum those two percentages up, as both of tracing and rasterization. The total number should be like as I mentioned, it is possible. Question is which of the two will take the biggest piece of cake. Hmm.

Maddness likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

You cannot improve ray tracing without improving traditional raster performance, since half the raytracing is done on the traditional shaders anyway