Nvidia the ongoing Stutter / lag issue thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Oct 11, 2009.

1. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Oh i do agree it's a crap psu and i want to change it at some point , it was just how the post came across and totaly off topic to this thread. :3eyes:

Anyway enough with the off topic from me! :nerd:

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Performance seem pretty ok for me with Windows 7, but I fiddled around with some stuff, so maybe that helps on it.
    As for XP x32 and XP x64, I found XP x32 to be better for games, where as Vista x64 performs better than XP x64.
    All tweaked to the teeth, so can't really say how they compare as stock.

3. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    I doubt it is a PSU issue, because switching drivers fixes this stutter issue for me.

Other games, just capping the framerate with a tool, or a command line, will also reduce stuttering (microstutters)

This can also reduce frame skipping.

Might be a tip for some guru's , to use a tool like fps_limiter this also fixes alot of (micro)stutters when using vsync, and capping your fps to your refresh rate, combined with vsync.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    the game physics engine stutters the game because i press a key??

lol dont talk crap its the driver, and no set prerender to 1 is useless, why did nvidia put 3 as default in the first place.

So your putting the facts based on this new feature single back depth buffer in 191.xx?
    well its openGL anyway, so no it doesnt make a difference if i change prerender, its a directX game anyway..

5. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    3 gets the best frame rate, and you need atleast 2 for most games, otherwise applications and games which use high levels of memory swapping suffer greatly in performance.
    That isn't a new function in the driver, the setting is however. i was referring to somthing else however.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    so like you said 1 may suffer and gta4 is one of those games that use high levels of memory swapping, dunno why you said 1 in the first place :rolleyes:

anyway 195.39 are almost perfect them seem to fixed it. And i use 4 frames to render ahead.

EDIT: they're really good, i've enabled Threaded optimization in nv driver profile and would you look at that, fps boosted from around 45 to 55 even 60 fps in some outside areas. This is in the first block when you start the game..
    When at night i see a little dip cause of all the lights, but still i saw a boost of 3-4fps there, around 40 ish fps..

i didnt try this Threaded optimization i've kinda forgot about it, had it at auto by default.
    And its suppose to be opengl feature at least nhancer shows it this way, but guess not :nerd:

this and -memrestrict 681574400 and almost stutter free, only a small small one here and there.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    Since I got a new update on Windows 7,
    the stutters are alot less then before.

I didn't try the 190/191 drivers yet.

But even on the 186.18 drivers, performance seems better.
    Can someone comfirm this on Windows 7 x64?

I think it was this update:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB974332)

Install this update to resolve issues with non-compatible applications for Windows 7. For complete details of this update, see Knowledge Base Article KB974332. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/974332

EDIT Risen seems more smooth now, didn't try any other games though.

8. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Tried 195.39 at first it looked ok but then it started happening again in battlefield 2 , then at times it started lagging and even stuttering :bang:.

Back to 187.66 and it's fixed!

9. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Interesting, it'll need some more testing though :p

That update also fixed the flickering on Motocross Madness 2's menu (requires D3DRM.dll in syswow64)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  10. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    stutter fixed with fresh install. all 19x drivers work npw

this still holds true. im using the newest drivers 195, which need to be installed correctly :
    ive confirmed you need to uninstall drivers from programs and then use driver sweeper

you cannot upgrade. you cannot just uninstall from programs. ive done both and checked and confirmed the drivers mix.

you MUST uninstall from programs, reboot, use driver sweeper, reboot, install, reboot, then you should install the latest physx available on guru not nvidias site.

this will ensure you actually get the drivers installed. after youve done this check rivatuner to see that all ur drivers are right.

using win 7 x64, 9800 gtx

but i must say my old install of windows 7 32bit did have the stutter issue, no matter how much i cleaned old drivers and did the install right. i dont know why guys. but i can say im using the same drivers that caused my stutter and my new w7 install doesnt stutter.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  12. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    It's bollox , it looks ok at first then the problem appears again :bang:

13. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Hmm, it seems your about the only person with this problem Neil

14. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Probably in a minority group who's still playing it :frown:

15. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    UPDATE :

but when this member tries it with a single card

16. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    im so glad i dont suffer from this micro stuttering and ive always used nvidia. the stuttering in bf2 has been there since patch v1.41 its not a driver issue.

17. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    As i said , i don't get any stuttering , lag or texture issues in the 179's , 185's , 186's , 187's suddenly the 19x series comes out and it all goes to pot. So for me and many others it IS a driver issues.

18. mikeoram

mikeoram New Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 512 750/1050/1873
    Threaded Optimization!! Beware!

Q6600 @ 3.4ghz, 8800GTS 512 fully o/c'd, 1680X1050 native, 2gig DDR3,Vista 32bit.
    Thanks to Riva Tuner's wonderful monitoring graphs, I eventually noticed the little frame rate's blips followed by a big collapse to zero momentarily... just (seconds) prior to visual stuttering and then games freezing up. I had tried & tested everything (maybe 40 man/hrs of hell)... various drivers going way back, reloading lots of game software, switching memory, better cooling, dicking with background services, blaming and reloading Riva, Windows, Speedfan, etc etc and was just about to buy a new video card in desperation when I decided to try turning the Dreaded Threaded Optimization off in the Nvidia control panel. Fixed! Smooth and solid again in all games.
    If you read this Mr. Nvidia, I hate you. I'll never trust you again. Before this Dreaded Optimization appeared in your drivers I had no problems. Guess you sell a lot of new hardware this way, huh. Just make the latest drivers subtly screw up the old hardware! What a scam.
    (no, auto doesn't work... it has to be off)
    Oh, by the way, after turning this thing off I checked the gaming load on my Quadcore's 4 CPU's.... its more evenly spread now. Optimization, my ass.

19. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    This isn't complete freezing, just a stuttering/lag. Your issue seems entirely different and the fact you run your system overclocked could mean its deteriorating hardware. Especially since disabling multithreading helps, which usually isolates threads to the first 2 cores in a quad core, and random 4 cores with loadbalancing on a HT enabled setup.

Well the Auto setting cannot be trusted to issue the correct setting in all cases, hence why it also has an off and on setting.

You have no idea what multithreading is vs load balancing. Clearly.

20. mikeoram

mikeoram New Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 512 750/1050/1873
    oh really...

You are quite right. I don't know stuttering from lagging from freezing from multithreading etc etc. WHATever. But I know what BS smells like!
    I'm just hoping someone I can save some other poor guy 40 hrs of total frustration because of Nvidia's dumbass tricks!