NVIDIA Tegra 3 Video pops up

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Here's a video that shows off what phones with NVIDIA's Tegra 3 SoC Kel-El will be capable off. Ahw it's like 2004 all over again isn't it Looks good though

More...

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it a nice feat that mobile phones/devices can do this stuff, but really If I wana play games that what my pc or console is for, really these devices already suffer from terrible battery life, and more horsepower just gona be more hell on the battery, I be more impressed if they can do this and actual increase the battery life.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    it is possible to improve battery life, but it really depends on the apps. if an app can take advantage of all four cpu cores, then theoretically it should be able to handle all the processing 4x faster, which means it can revert back to idle 4x faster, which leads to slightly better battery life, assuming the architectural changes will optimise power consumption in multicore mode.

but if an app can only take advantage of one core, then nothing really changes in the battery life department.

the thing im interested in is whether or not they plan to pack this thing into phones. its much faster than the tegra 2 because the tegra 2 splits the gpu into 4 vertex and 4 pixel shaders, whereas the tegra 3 will use 12 unified shader cores (cuda core style). but my guess is that since its still on 40nm, it probably isnt small enough just yet. that and i would assume this thing would produce a lot of heat.

4. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    "This video is private"

Guess somebody spilled the beans by not marking their videos as private on YouTube, yet again.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Any and all battery savings that are related to anything other than the screen are going to make very minor differences to the actual battery life when everything is taken in to account. But the theory you outlined is correct; 4 cores drawing no power is still no power, but any task will be done 4 times faster, assuming the coding is there to back it up.