Nvidia Studio Driver v472.84 WHQL Released

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mapson, Dec 14, 2021.

1. schloppy

schloppy Member Guru

GPU:
    3070 ROG STRIX
    I use Studio drivers because their stability in applications and games is better than the awful gaming drivers of late.

2. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2080 Ti
    Have you tested any of the drivers inbetween those two versions perchance?

3. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 3090 Ti nvLink

I did not record / keep the scores for 462.xx and 465.xx, or the first three iteration of the 466.

At the time I was just taking cell phone shots of the scores and keeping the higher scoring driver as long as it was stable. When I started to see consistent patterns is when I took the recording of scores more seriously

My current concerns is the massive amount of issues that the dch 496/497 drivers have demonstrated: artifacts, 10-bit issues, monitor refresh rate issues, monitor response issues (on DP 1.4 DSC and HDMI 2.1) performance drop (considerable at high load games/apps). issues when using alt tab from apps to 2d desktop, etc. These issue ONLY manifest in the 496/497 driver series, and resolve when reverting to standard 472 or below

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    fear029 likes this.
  4. evgenim

evgenim Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 OC
    Try 471.22. But versions above have degradation. Have tested 471.41, 472.12, 496.49

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    In applications and workflow, they are better, but how are they more stable in games? Curious about that.

6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    49X drivers branch is so weird, i really hope nvidia makes them better, lots of complaints on performance.

fear029 likes this.
  7. Ohmer

Ohmer Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    There have been 7 Studio Drivers released since June this year from the 47x.xx branch. The first 49x.xx branch driver landed in October, more than two months ago. (if the Nvidia download page is correct, not counting hotfixes of course)
    Apparently the new branch isn't good enough to bear the "Studio Quality" stamp of approval, yet.
    I'm just steering clear until I absolutely must have a GRD fix to a real problem I'm having. So far haven't needed any of them.

fear029 and rafaelluik like this.
  8. schloppy

schloppy Member Guru

GPU:
    3070 ROG STRIX
    My default driver has been Studio for some time but when playing Battlefield 2042 initially (alpha test, beta and released version) the performance of game was poor. Unsure of whether it was the game or Nvidia driver, I had tried various 496.xxx driver version and in all I was getting frequent CTD.

Swapping back to original 472.39 Studio drivers the CTD are rare but with the latest 472.84 no crashes at all this week. 2042 patch updates since then have smoothed some game issues out for sure but I'll just be sticking with Studio for the future.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    guaranteed you have a faulty 3070 or atleast one that can't handle its vendor clocks., the current drivers are rock solid on BF2042 apart from the few client specific crashes that are being worked on.

10. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 3090 Ti nvLink
    Thank you, I'll test and reply. grazie

11. schloppy

schloppy Member Guru

GPU:
    3070 ROG STRIX
    That's quite a sweeping leap to dismiss that the drivers could possibly be the issue, given that every single game is 'rock solid' apart from 2042, I highly doubt the card defective. Similar instability is shown in an entirely different system that has a 2070 Super in it.

System 1 - 5950x, 64GB RAM, 3070 and Windows 11
    System 2 - Threadripper 1950x, 32GB RAM, 2070 Super and Windows 10.

I'll maybe give the 497.29 a whirl but I've lost all confidence in Nvidia's drivers.

fear029 likes this.