NVIDIA STRIKES BACK with the Geforce fx 5800 ultra PRO 256 ddr2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by vasot, Mar 11, 2003.

1. vasot

vasot Guest

information taken from Warp2search.com:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    <<Spotted this post in Futuremark's Forum posted by seizetheday4eva

Sh** I just got of the phone to a contact that I have at PNY and he told me that Nvidia are releasing a 256mb Geforce 5800 FX Pro whcih will be even faster then the Geforce FX Ultra because it obvioulsy has double the Memory.

The only difference between the FX Ultra and Pro will be the Memory.

He told me that Nvidia are releasing it in 6 weeks to compete with the ATI 9800. Wow I can't wait go for it Nvidia.

Now that Microsoft is not updating Directx 9 for 2 years these cards will be future proof.

This is very good news. Oh and remember you heard if from me first. I think you did anyway. >>
    --------------------------------------------
    yeap nvidia is not going to seat in the corner with Ati having a faster card from their Geforce fx cards so THEY STRIKE BACK with a Geforce fx 5800 ultra PRO using 256 ddr2 mem faster from the 128ddr2 that the geforce fx 5800 ultra use

The rumours say it will be 25%-30% faster from the 9800pro 128ddr and 15%-20% faster from the 9800pro 256 ddr model

MAKING THE NVIDIA THE KING OF THE GCs for Pc once more with l ittle faster card available in the market :) :) That was a suprise :)

2. prodigy

prodigy Master Guru

GPU:
    xpert vision 280SLI GTX
    gfx

YEHA THATS WOT I CALL A BRILL CALL NVIDIA !!!!!!
    STICK THAT UP YA H*** ATI LOVERS!!!!!:bigsmile: :coffee: :supercool :behead:

3. Upke

Upke Member

GPU:
    Sparkle geforce 4 TI 4200 8X 128 MB
    Holy crap, that will really be fast!! Especially with a 128-bit bus, its going to fly. Even when 128 MB of memmory goes unused, GO NVIDIA ;)

4. STAB

STAB Master Guru

GPU:
    4850 Vapor-X Sapphire
    Great that means good news for us customers. While they fight for the crown of the best we get better prices wouououoouhououuououoou.

But thinking about it a bit more i would not be so happy to pay for a card that sounds like a houver when i play games.

5. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    I dont see that 128bit bus going to take avantage of tha extra 128mb of ram, unless you are running 8X FSAA and @ 1600*1200 but even then....have to see some benchmarks first

6. a k i

a k i Guest

they need a bigger buss then 128bit to take advantage of that DDR2 and the fx chip

7. Salohcin

Salohcin Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti 4400
    Got the Cash for it?

Hey that sounds great. I don't doubt that it will be able to perform better than the current FX, and possibly better than the 9800.

But the real question should be how expensive will it be? Is it worth the extra cash compared to the performance boost? I'm not knocking nVidia, its just that in my books, thats a question that must be asked.......

8. dakilla

dakilla Member

GPU:
    ATi/9700 Pro/128MB
    oooh

this looks awesome :) its gonna be sick. it will own all current and future cards. looks like nvidia will be making a come back

9. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Yeah, extra memory only improves performance if the card runs out of memory. What's out there that's going to run out of 128 MB of memory? I think we're only now getting to the point where 64 MB is a limitation, and that's still only with AA.

10. VeXeD

VeXeD Member

I wouldn't be so optimistic just yet.
    Lets wait for those benchmarks and ofcourse pricing.
    BTW I own two Nvidia cards but I think this company got a little to comfortable at the top and needed to get their butt whooped. Maybe now they're gonna start producing a quality product again.

11. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    I don't think we need to necessarily be down on Nvidia for falling behind. They took a risk years prior that they'd have DDR 2 and .13 micron ready on time, and they apparently bet wrong. If things had gone better, I'm sure we'd all be congratulating them on being so innovative.

12. PixelDude

PixelDude Pixelated Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT (Albatron) on a 19" 8ms LCD
    If nVidia want to blow away ATI then they should modify the FX to use a 256Bit memory bus - the 128bit bus is a nasty bottleneck, though nVidia reckon their loss-less texture compression accounts for the 128bit loss - just have to wait and see...

13. steef

steef Guest

you guys hafta understand that the memory isnt going to make the cards anyfaster.... its still the same speed card... The idea of 256bit bus is good, but so complex to do that its not gonna happen. Its not as simple as it seems to be--thats why the 9700pros dont oc very good. 256bit bus is very very complex ... its not like they just glue a peice in ;) so in my opinion this 256bit bus gffx wont happen and is even more unlikely than this card being any percent faster than a 9800pro, considering its only as fast as a r9700pro. more mem might help for AA and AF, but Nvidias cards have been far behind in these areas since the 9700pro released... the 9500np and pro both smoke the 4600 in AA and AF.
    SO although it'd be nice for nvidia to get a better card out, the fact of the matter is that they released this one too late and hafta scrape to get the nv35 together and fast ASAP... R400s are expected in sept-nov. You guys should write to nvidia and tell em how disappointed u are at the timing they have(the hardware would be great if we had it in NOV!) I wrote to them 2 times, and got no replies.. when i wrote to them about lack of NF2 driver updates they responded that they're releasing some new drivers soon--so u nf2 guys get ready ;) nvidia are pro with tweaking drivers for benchmarks -- let the bragging begin! :D

14. Eire

Eire Guest

I love it when it gets cheaper and faster because two big companies are having a we're faster than you competition! Bring on more cheaper and faster hardware :D

15. a k i

a k i Guest

not exactly the cards are getting cheeper but not that faster. Sure more ram is gonna give it a lil more porformance but whats the point if the extra ram is idle? Its like upgrading from 1gb of ram to 2gb for your system

16. a k i

a k i Guest

i think in this rush to get out faster product is gonna leave some screw ups in the card sooner or later something wrong is gonna happen if nvidia is in a big rush

17. Kaizen

Kaizen Banned

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GT @ 410/1.12
    Unless they move to 256Bit bus, I dont see the point. DDR2 obviously has not made up for 128Bit bus on the 128MB one....using 256MB wont change a thing, rad 9800 Pro 256MB will still be better, DDR2 or not.

18. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    I'm not sure if I see the point even *with* a 256-bit bus. I think memory size may have as much to do with marketing as genuine need.

19. Kaizen

Kaizen Banned

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GT @ 410/1.12
    well, what im saying is that at least with a 256bit bus, it will be able to compete with the 9800 Pro 256MB.

20. Maximill

Maximill Guest

Don't jump the gun

I don't know about you guys but right now is not a good time
    to buy this. I'm going to skip this card. I read two reviews and the way i see it NVIDIA is not on the up and up. To me it looks like there screwing with there drivers to get better scores at the cost of picture quality and that pisses me off! Here is a little snip!

*MSI FX Review*
    Apart from the drivers, we also found some critical information regarding the operation of GeForce FX. It seems that during The Tech Report’s interviews with NVIDIA to wring out more information about the GeForce FX, NVIDIA mentioned that it has 8 full rendering pipelines on the GeForce FX and this is what they meant by the term ‘8 pixel per clock rendering pipeline’:

- write 8 pixels per clock to the frame buffer
    - perform 8 stencil operations per clock
    - process/apply 8 textures per clock (meaning it has 8 texture units)
    - perform 8 shader operations per clock (meaning it has 8 pixel shaders)

However, its hardware only allows it to tackle 4 pixels per clock for color + z operation (that is to blend colors and writing it to the frame buffer at 4 pixels per clock) – which is one of the most basic operations in current games. This implies that the GeForce FX has 8 pooled texture units and along with 8 rendering pipelines, it is able to function in 8x1 or the more traditional 4x2 depending on the operation at hand. If it is operating in 4x2 mode in most cases for existing games, then the FX is primarily a super-clocked GeForce4 Ti 4600 with a whole lot of add-ons.

here is the complete review.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/articles.hwz?cid=3&aid=657&page=1

When they say that the MSI GforceFX is a good all around card becuase of the bundled software it came with...that not a good sign :( When I'll have time I will post the other rewiew. It's even worse.