NVIDIA Snags Away Market Share From AMD, now sells 80 percent of dedicated GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So again, what did AMD fix? If there was nothing to fix then why did AMD release a driver that was almost entirely about fixing these non-existent issues?

Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    So, now these AMD users who had issues are "suspicious"? :rolleyes:

All these people with problems must've been lying.

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;...5700+black+screen+issues&fr2=sb-top&fr=fp-tts

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Apparently there was an issue with pcie gen4 being enabled in bios which amd told to disable for the time being. Also disabling features like enhanced sync was one of the causes of the blackscreen issues which amd mentioned.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    One would think that AMD literally putting issues like that on the driver readme, would put a stop to people saying that their driver is OK.

Btw, their DX9-11 driver is still sh*t, and it doesn't multithread, and their OpenGL driver is still a joke. There is still no enforceable Vsync, which just boggles the mind. For some games it's literally faster to put a DX to Vulkan translator in the game folder, than run the game in a version of DX that the driver "natively" supports. If that's not a joke, I don't know what is.

Mufflore and itpro like this.

5. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    So for my black screen by enabling gpu scaling for no reason I lose my system visuals should I blame the biggest corporation instead of the smaller one? My Samsung monitor is more expensive than a navi 5700xt/vega vii gpu. #1 fact. #2 fact: it worked nicely with old LG monitor.

Samsung has a revenue at least 40 times bigger than AMD. So AMD has awesome gpus and drivers. My monitor is to blame! Sure thing! Lets keep the trend VA monitors are bad, they need firmware updates, or windows 10 is at fault. I won't buy it this time. AMD is bad. Very bad.

At least even nvidia had a driver update to support odyssey g7 series properly. And odyssey g9 next month. Nvidia cares. AMD sleeps.

6. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Game devs already told us this years ago.

itpro likes this.
  7. PsyaNyde

PsyaNyde Active Member

GPU:
    msi rtx 2080 super
    I have an RX 5700 XT, BUT, tbh, the hassle, getting it stable, has been a nightmare, I wonder, just how many people bought AMD, gave up trying to sort it out, sent it back and bought a plug and play, no hassle Nvidia card instead. I know many have and I completely understand why, as I have been on the verge of doing so myself, many times. It's NOT the cards at fault, it's the Software.

itpro likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Same was with many cards before. Polaris had same issue which generally evaded those with good PSUs. AMD tuning card's behavior through driver is not "fix". It is override for inadequately built system.

Real driver issues were for example release driver for HD7970. Not only it performed poorly, but that driver on bundled CD caused semi transparency for textures in OGL if certain AA levels were forced.
    At time of release of FuryX, I got much better performance just by masking card's ID as different older cards as they used different code paths for some things which worked better for Fiji's CU configuration. But actual Navi launch was smoothest one I can remember.

There is good reason why most of those systematic problems evade me and most of reviewers, and it is because I do not cheap out on components and know when I make problems myself.
    (Exception was that French site which claimed that their Fury X reached boiling temperatures while having radiator in one position in which air went into pump from it. Yet, funny part was, that Fury X would still perform thermal shutdown before reaching such temperature unless they did change value in vBIOS.)
    If your card was not stable out of the box. It was either incorrectly assembled and overheated or your case had insufficient airflow.
    If it was not thermal, then it was unstable power delivery. Last chance is incorrect binning and you got defective GPU.
    I undervolted mine and overclocked to 2030MHz at same time. Perfectly stable.

But unstable card which crashes is not driver issue.

itpro likes this.
  9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeah, but they still made it to driver release notes, which means that they were actual, existing issues. The readme wasn't saying that you get black screens because you don't have a Seasonic PSU, it was saying that the driver has this issue.

itpro likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Boosting mechanism rate and delays between upping voltage and following with higher clock.
    No reason to go extremely technical. Especially since such change likely increased power draw a bit or decreased sustainable clock.
    (There would be immediate witch-hunt as always.)

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Demo was capped at 30fps on the ps5 and to put in perspective 2080 maxq laptops are going around 2k$ and a desktop 2070s alone is more expensive than the ps5.

itpro likes this.
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Even if that was the fix, which I'd like to see proof from AMD that it was, how is that still not AMD's fault? The cards should be designed to run in a wide array of configurations. I don't recall Nvidia having a problem that required 1000+ upvoted threads on reddit about their cards blackscreening because everyone just happened to have a less than ideal power supply... for over a year.

Regardless, it's hardly relevant. The vast majority of people don't care why the problem is occurring -- they just see "my card has had this problem for a year, it didn't get resolved until this very specific AMD driver came out and fixed it, thus AMD drivers aren't good" - I know this because again, dozens of posts, personal friends of mine that switched from a 5700XT to a 2070 or other and the fact that we are once again having a discussion about AMD's drivers not being great.

PrMinisterGR and itpro like this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, demos which is going to be recorded for YT should either be capped on 30fps or 60fps to provide stutter free experience.
    Recording at 40fps and recoding to 30fps is bad idea. Even recoding to 60fps does not look as good as when content is recorded at same frame rate as targeted playback.
    It is kind of OK to record on 120fps+ while targeting 60fps playback.
    So it means actual performance was somewhere above 30fps, but not good enough to sustain 60 fps. Which, given state of development was not bad.

Undying likes this.
  14. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE

I had no problem with AMD drivers over the last 3 years on both V64 (2) and 5700XT AE.
    Wrote several days ago the majority of the "driver issues" had nothing to do with drivers back in July-October last year. Just users having upgraded their X470/B450 boards for the 3000 series refused outright to go and set manually PCIe 3.0 to their motherboards because the motherboard manufacturer had promised them 4.0 (Auto setting) for their boards. Regardless if AMD had said that is not supported on non X570 boards and there will be issues, and stated that all way back to April 2019.

A dig of the posts on reddit of that period will see the huge outright majority been people with those boards (especially Gigabyte) with 3000 series CPU. Barely saw someone with X570, Ryzen 1000/2000 or on Intel platform having issue that was indeed "driver related". Suddenly all problems dissapeared between Oct-Nov when new AGESA dropped boosting performance and all the manufacturers removed Pcie 4.0 from their motherboards that weren't X570.

I do wonder if NVIDIA will be blamed for "crap drivers" if some manufacturers go rogue and start supporting PCIe 4.0 on Z490 when boards might not been able to do so instead of stick to Intel order to use Z590 boards. (due in November-December)

FYI Because I had NV cards those who say "Nvidia drivers are good, AMD bad" haven't gone to Nvidia forums.....

15. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    The internet would go ape s... if it was an Nvidia card that required reverting from pci-e 4.0 to 3.0 to work.

Check this short thread. The story basically ends with at least 1 extra Nvidia user and this was only end of June this year.

https://community.amd.com/thread/252922

itpro likes this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Was not a card that needed it, right? Just a little mistake on your part. It was b450 board that needed to operate in PCIe 3.0 mode as it was not originally designed for PCIe 4.0.
    Some 400 boards had no problem, but all got BIOS update removing PCIe 4.0 support. Some high end 400 boards never even got PCIe 4.0 option even while they were much higher quality than current boards with PCIe 4.0.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This is the other thing that really pissed me off when I owned AMD cards that wouldnt work properly.
    AMD users, just like above, claimed the problem didnt exist, forcing me to explain the problem in depth and how its not a problem with what I was doing.
    Only when, eventually, all the doors were shut on them would they clam up.
    They destroyed the feel for the product they are trying to "protect" with their fake view on reality.
    Instead of help you get despair with AMD, well done you guys.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is rather disrespectful to talk about people who can clearly hear you in this manner. So here, use @ and nicknames and write in manner in which you look straight into person's eyes. (Or just use quote button.)
    As far as your problems go. Ask @Hilbert Hagedoorn If he experienced your exact issues. And then think if you want to lump him into that category you just described.

You had an problem, granted. You was not able to solve it. Understandable. But software issues are easily replicated in same scenarios.
    (Like HW acceleration problems with browser together with running HW accelerated media player and running game while ALT+TABing multiple times fast.)

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, it's 100% a problem within the AMD community and you see it within most of the problematic threads. On a lot of those massive reddit blackscreen threads you saw posts similar this, where it felt helpless because the people with the blackscreen issues were just responded with "MY CARD IS FINE, ITS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR COMPUTER" "USER ERROR" "GET A NEW PSU" "SWITCH TO PCIE 3 MODE" which most of the people said they had already tried. Then a driver comes and fixes like 90% of their problems but yeah, was totally the PSU that they replaced twice.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Listen mate, I have had so much disrespect from some AMD guys when trying to get help, where do you think this conversation is going to lead?
    If you cant take it, dont dish it. You arent the one that had enough!