Nvidia slimming/clean versions are pointless.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by barrybondz, Mar 1, 2022.

1. trancers

trancers Active Member

GPU:
    gigabyte rtx 2080
    So is there any real test to proves sliming or cleaning nvidia drivers makes them somehow worse if compare to unchanged drivers

2. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I mean, I need a driver. Nothing else.

I choose to install PhysX, although it probably is pointless to do so.

3. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    Indra's net
    So basically its just a personal preference to use a shaved driver vs standard Nv stock.

4. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    My install of Windows plus all the software I use is 14 GB total space used, about 12 with just Windows and Drivers. How much is yours without a "slimming" mindset? Not to mention the size of the driver installer backups I keep on another drive.

5. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    Indra's net
    I'll be honest, I havent looked at that in a few years since storage has become very affordable.

6. OniKeaton

OniKeaton Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti FE 12GB
    I personally use slimmed down drivers, but I don't like all the bloat NVIDIA puts in their drivers. But to each his own. If you want to install unnecessary telemetry, go for it.
    Storage is very affordable, but still, not everybody has the money nor the means to get it. Even with tons of storage, what's the point in keeping something you don't need? I delete stuff I don't need all the time.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  7. Wrinkly

Wrinkly Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 290 / 4GB
    Infinately.

8. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG RTX 3080
    In my experience i used clean versions for a lot of time, but one day i was having issues so i tried with standard drivers without GFE, i noticed nothing different in performance or other things. I know that people doesnt like that telemetry, but it is not like theres somebody on nvidia "spying" you. It is ok one way or the other.

9. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    Lets not mention the fact these "Drivers" are now, what, 900 Meg? What in the holy jeebus do you have to pack in a driver That size?? Personalli I dont debloat or whatever, but i always question why are they sooooo massive now. They are approaching 1 Gigabyte.. for a Driver!

10. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Your fps gains.

11. OniKeaton

OniKeaton Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti FE 12GB
    Part of the reason they're the size they are is the installation packages not being compressed properly. I'm not really sure why the files in the Display.Driver folder are pre-compressed (files ending in '_'), but it definitely makes for a bloated file size. The 511.79 installer is 787 MB, but it is brought down to 561 MB (an additional 28.7%) after expanding these compressed files and re-compressing the driver files with the same settings. AMD doesn't do this with their drivers, so it's a mystery why NVIDIA does.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  12. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Turbo 24G
    I thought people did it so its a smaller download, for people with slow or metered connections?

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ^ one of many reason people slim the drivers down

14. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    i have no need for anyone but me to optimize my games, so i will never sign into this program, it just takes up space... its bloatware.
    i am more than happy with the slimmed/cleaned drivers and very thankful that some one is kind enough to do it currently.

Mineria likes this.