Nvidia Silently Launches 3840 Shader Cores Nvidia TitanXp

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    When people ask which of something is better, I believe value is a strong consideration.

I would think two 1080 Ti cards would be better as well, but there will still be people insisting on the Titan XP. In these instances if people can 'afford' one Titan XP they can afford two, a fair assumption I think as they chose the Titan XP over two GTX 1080 Ti's to begin with.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    This card would have had some meaning if it was the HBM2 version. At least then you would know it cost at least $300 to make.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Once again smartest users are the ones who waited for the 1080 Ti just like the previous gen.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Fixed that for you.

History has shown that the Titan lineup never has true value in any way except that you get the level of performance they afford and an inflated price 8 months ahead of people that can wait. But same could be said for any GPU. I have Titan X maxwell performance ($1000) two years later for $400. In another year you can get that performance for around $250.

TL;DR You pay more for more power. It's up you you as an individual as to if it's worth it.

5. FeDaYin

FeDaYin Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 ref.
    If it's not a Geforce card, what drivers is gonna use ?
    It's gonna have a special driver package just for this card ?
    They make a new series of video cards besides geforce and quadro ?

6. Jonathanese

Jonathanese Member

GPU:
    STRIX 1070 1200/9200
    Back when I had my FX5700LE in, like, middle school, there was a BIOS tweak you could to do have the driver identify it as a Quadro card and enable professional features in various software. Both series used the same driver.

I'm not sure they still make "quadro" cards anymore. Likely mainly because they can't just use the same chip and jack up the memory and select the top-quality chips off the line. Now professional users vs gamers require totally different hardware. Hence why they have the Tesla compute servers which would have a horrendous price/performance ratio if you were to waste it on something like gaming. They tend to release cards like the TitanX where frames/dollar doesn't matter as much as TFLOPS/sq-ft and TFLOPS/Watt, especially where deep learning is concerned.

7. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The milking can´t get any more ridiculous can it?.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ha ha ha ha I think this is the last of the big Pasqual and I have to get in on this action. Bench it a few weeks or less if I get bored then just surf the net with it
    i will just sell it a month or 2 before violet or whatever $1200 pos they got
    in 8 months it will start all over again besides the gtx 480 I think its always been like that.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah the 480 was an anomaly that some on this forum think is the rule not the exception.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah the 480 was a smart kick to nv's ass,now its like clockwork with them.

who don't want new stuff?

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The market for these are small. If they were $250 more than the 1080 Ti there probably wouldn't be many more people buying it because of the small gain over the 1080 Ti. If someone points out that 1080 Ti does 120 frames a second and the Titan XP does 132, they're proving my point, it's at best 10 percent more and even $250 more it's not a value preposition.

I notice the list price of the Geforce 1080 Ti is $699, but most of the 1080 TI's are selling for more than that. If this carries through to the Titan XP, you may expect to pay say, $1430 for a decent cheaper version. That said, if you are paying so much you would probably want the best version, which no doubt will cost upwards of US$1500.

So, why so costly? They are attaching the highest priced based on what people would be willing to pay (willing a nice way of saying sucked in), whilst still ensuring they sell all those made. Supply of these will undoubtedly be very limited due to its nature, and this can act as an excuse for the higher retail price. It is milking, but it is milking a specific set of people; the absolute fabois and fangals of Nvidia who would be sticking their fingers in their ears and going 'la-la-la' at any mention that it is overpriced or not good value.

I suggested the figure of $250 more than the Geforce 1080 Ti simply because that's about where this 'premium' product should be priced. On the outside maybe $300 more. I suggest they product don't have the stock availability to supply the demand at this proce. It also goes some way in explaining the silent launch, not only will supply be somewhat limited, but the marketing cost involved would probably use a signficiant amount of the profits from this card despite the high price.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  12. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I guess this card is targeted to customers that want the best that money can buy, regardless of whether it's a rational purchase or not.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Well, after sleeping on it, I think this is an excellent way to sell more GTX1080Ti's. Scare the ones who might be waiting for something else with a big price-tag so they buy the Ti instead. Heck, it actually makes Sli Ti's attractive for those into that market.

Anyway, the benefit of all this is that the cheapest GTX1080 is now within £30 of what I originally paid for my GTX1070. We are starting to see prices drop now just under a year after original Pascal launch. It's not all negative, it just seems to have taken longer for prices to come down. I have to give credit to Nvidia for doing this despite zero competition in the high-end market.

In effect, Nvidia have now shown all their "cards" for Pascal. The next one WILL be Volta...

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    You might be on to something there. Many throw around the idea of getting 2x1080 Tis instead of a Titan XP, but I honestly wouldn't advise that, even though money wise it does "kind of" make sense. The state of SLI is just too low right now for it to be worth it. Best move would be to get either a single custom 1080 Ti or a custom 1080 (with the new price) and only if you are really, really, REALLY loaded go for a Titan XP and throw it under water while at it. :O

15. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Funny to read all the whining lol

But, but...wait more importantly! what about my bragging rights! FU Nvidia

Oh the joy pmsl

16. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    You act as if they're doing something wrong, when in fact nobody is obligated to purchase this product, and the price itself is set by what the market is willing to pay for a top tier card. They're in business to make a profit so those who invested in them will earn a return as well as to pay off R&D costs, and give all their employees a nice paycheck. Nobody got screwed here. They received the product they had paid for, plain and simple.

17. BahmanVidia

BahmanVidia Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
    not a big deal imo
    you sould be good with your TITAN X Pascal or 1080Ti anyway
    unless you hoped to have the best GPU available for a little longer (TITAN X Pascal owners)

18. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Maybe there is a catch like dp floating point to justify the price?

19. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    I can't agree with the sentiment here, sure you are correct in that people got what they ordered and paid for.
    But the point is that this all feels like being slightly conned.

We were told something was the best, the fastest, and were sold it at a premium price while all along they had some even faster ones in the back of the van ready to offload when the not so great ones had sold. It just didn't have to be like this. If I could get a similar product from somewhere else then my business with Nvidia would have ended some time ago.
    This is just the latest in a series of decisions they have made that I disagree with.
    At least with Intel we get a roadmap so we are somewhat informed when we splash out for the latest processor.

Finally, it's not about the money, it's about pissing me off.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hillarious. Told ya Titan threads are the best.

Newsflash: Yields are getting better by the day, especially early in the process. So its only a matter of time when they are going to release the full chip.
    Titan X was launched 8 months ago. And now they are offering the full chip for the same money.

But apparently they forgot to write us I AM SORRY letter for upgrading the 8 months old chip without even asking us LOL