NVIDIA Shows Comparison Benchmarks for DLSS Optimized 4K Rendering

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2018.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    G-Sync is useful for all GPUs, and regardless of whether you reach 60FPS or not. 60Hz vsync has quite a bit of input lag. You can reduce it with various methods, but it will never be as low as g-sync (which has the same input lag as vsync OFF.) Also, when using 144Hz+ displays, G-Sync is immensely useful.

However. the majority of competitive players do not use g-sync. They just run vsync off, g-sync off. So actually g-sync is NOT for competitive players. It's for normal PC gamers.

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    All true - however the competitive players OUGHT to use g-sync, cause the input lag is (as you say) nearly the same as v-sync off (when using 144 hz or higher anyways), but gives the player a much more "correct" image, making seeing what is going on and aiming much easier than when the image is distorted by tearing :)

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/9/

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Are you still referring to creating environment available to everyone for your own benefit? IF yes, then your post just confirms that you do not see cause and effect for those companies.

You just see your own micro cosmos. In which apparently GTX 1080 play any game you have on 1440p downsampled from 5K with very high levels of AA at 60fps.
    Which is very convenient micro cosmos which is funny because that talk is about billions and you talk about yourself.
    But even that has nothing to do with reaping benefit from spreading your technology and allowing it to live/fly.

4. Stefem

Stefem Member

GPU:
    Or maybe, unlike you, I know something about what we are discussing, traditional AA methods aren't good at removing shimmering or flickering because they where designed to remove spatial aliasing, that's why temporal AA has been developed.

And I would add that sometimes a temporal filter is required by some effect and is implemented and enabled without your knowledge, I don't know about Forza Horizon 4 but I can point you to Battlefield 3 and 4 for example, which didn't had any option yet they had a temporal filter always on and no one noticed

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Ray Tracing is not vaporware. No consumer level system has ever been able to do it at playable framerates. The next logical step in graphics improvement is ray tracing. Nvidia's solution to this may not catch on but someone had to start the trend. DLSS might very well fail from lack of support but RT will continue.

Maddness likes this.
  6. Stefem

Stefem Member

GPU:
    You don't understand how deep learning works, NVIDIA can't train anything without data which only game devs have, of course they can design and train a DNN on their own test case but the model must be trained on the actual game generated data in the end.
    I think your misconception about what can be opensource when we talk about DL is tricking you, in a sense we can say that an open source DNN can not exist at all because no one is able to understand or modify machine generated code

7. Stefem

Stefem Member

GPU:
    DLSS remove shimmering even without downscaling, note that there are two DLSS mode.
    DLSS take a lower res image and reconstruct an higher res one with the aid of other data (like geometry for example) and remove aliasing and shimmering in the process, DLSS 2x works on native resolution and just remove aliasing and shimmering.
    NVIDIA provide some really interesting info on how it works if one care to get a look

8. Stefem

Stefem Member

GPU:
    Actually if your game already feature a temporal filter or doesn't have problem with it it's plain easy, for DLSS (and other NGX tech) you only need a header file that points to a DLL in the NVIDIA driver.
    Patches shouldn't require any adjustment, DLCs may require some more training for the DNN model if they diverge a lot but that's something NVIDIA will do for free as they plan to continuously improve DLSS DNN anyway

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's another thing that I was curious about - how would DLSS games handle mods? I'm still playing a heavily modded Fallout 4 and mods are one of the things I turn to when I finish a game and want to replay it (my guess is that it won't work with mods at all?)

Maddness likes this.
  10. Stefem

Stefem Member

GPU:
    TAA generate artifacts (flickering, blur and ghosting) that are inherent in the technology and can't be avoided.

11. Stefem

Stefem Member

GPU:
    I don't know exactly but my opinion is that it have some flexibility or otherwise won't work in dynamic unpredictable scenes, by what I saw with other DNN it's surprising how well they can infer detail from object it never seen.

12. rolldog

rolldog Member

GPU:
    2 x Gigabyte 980Ti G1 6GB
    Here, go download it

https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ngx

fry178 likes this.
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    This is so cool ! downloading now ! thanks for the link !

edit: bummer, you can't downloading anything xD

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    What i was trying to say is that (outside going amd) its more common to find ppl using gsync on the upper/lower end of gpus to support high fps while reducing input lag, as well as preventing tearing and handle jumps/drops in fps, or towards lower end when the gpu cant handle constant fps.
    I doubt you will find more ppl with a 1060 and a gsync screen, than ppl running a 1080/ti.
    Even small monis add to the cost, where at least for me, going with bigger gpu and/or screen would make more sense, than a smaller one with gsync, to stay at same overall cost.

Similar to when i had ppl wanting to buy 2 small cards to do sli/xfire, rather then getting the next bigger chip, and not have to deal with all the "issues" coming with it (single vs multi gpu), except for when you already have the biggest/2nd biggest chip, and multi gpu would be the "only" way to increase performance.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Some can. You can selectively disable TAA on specific objects for example that don't need it. FFXV seemed to just apply it everywhere without thought, even for objects behind glass while that glass itself was also being TAA'd. Which looks horrible.

Also, FFXV's TAA in general looks blurrier than other games that also have TAA, for whatever reason.

Dragam1337 likes this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    TAA is blurry everywhere I saw it. That includes Higher budget games like R6:Siege and Vermintide 2.

17. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    What a load of nonsense. There are many AA methods that are perfectly fine in combating flickering. Your pathetic attempts at promoting proprietary Nvidia tech is just pure fanboyism behavior.

"I know something", "I don't know" so which one is it? Make up your mind.

No one noticed temporal filter in BF3 and BF4. Is this a joke? That's like the first thing everyone noticed when these games come out. Get off your high horse, your posts are just so cringy.

18. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    The hardware is here, it was and still is being advertised, and no game supports it yet. We don't even have a publicly available benchmark as far as I know. It's the definition of vaporware.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  19. Stefem

Stefem Member

GPU:
    I'm not talking about a specific implementation but of the technology in general, TAA generate artifact due to how the tech works

20. Stefem

Stefem Member

GPU:
    Are you trolling or what? mirror are very slippery I suppose... or do you have comprehension problems? Read what I wrote after the word you highlighted, it may open your mind...

Spatial AA methods, what we used in the past until recently, can't remove flickering and if you actually knew something about what you're talking about you would know that, it's basic stuff.
    Learning the difference between spatial and temporal aliasing will help you understand.

I don't know specifically about Forza Horizon 4 and unlike you I don't talk about stuff I don't know, don't try to twist my word.
    And I find really strange that everyone noticed that on BF3 and 4, given that the temporal filter is restricted to the AO but you can prove I'm wrong, since everyone noticed the filter it will be easy for you to provide me some reference.

You are making yourself ridiculous