NVIDIA Shield Experience Upgrade 7.0 Inbound (Android 8.0 Oreo)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    The gift that keeps giving, yeah right, we've been through three shield remotes this year and with each new update they manage to break something, really has the worst connectivity of any device I've used, constantly having to re-pair remotes and controllers and losing signal from bluetooth devices, the shield system is far from perfect and I would swap it if I could find something better but seems like each system comes with it's own set of problems.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Can't say I've had an issue with either the remote or controller. Are you updating the firmware on them?
    Also it's worth investing in a cheap Harmony remote.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I want a Shield for my movie stuff, but it lacks an Optical Out.

Also the Logitech Harmony is not compatible with it.

Last edited: May 24, 2018

5. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Yeah I keep it all up to date, all our shield remotes have the latest firmware, basically two of them started losing connection and wouldn't charge up, I managed to bring them back to life with a factory reset but then the audio jacks on them broke so my dad couldn't use headphones anymore so then I ended up getting him a bluetooth pair and we've had nothing but issues with them losing connection all the time and we have a set of soundtouch bluetooth speakers in the conservatory which I have connected to the shield for music and even they lose connection, another weird thing that happens is if we watch a youtube video and then load Kodi up the volume control stops working on the remote altogether,

our shield has been nothing but a nightmare of bugs and connectivity issues.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    My shield has been outstanding. The only issue I've had was using an SD-card, I gave up after a while, I don't need it anyway since I strictly use it for streaming purposes.
    I also pass-through my audio via the tv so I get my optical out that way.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yes it is. I have one that works just fine with it. And it's one of the fairly cheap models.

8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    That Android world, such simply thing as OS update is now something big :(

9. codyrocco

codyrocco Member

GPU:
    Mali T720
    sure, Dolby Vision is something too insignificant to care about...

maikai likes this.
  10. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Quick question, shield or htpc and why?

11. Nolenthar

Nolenthar Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP 12GB
    I got the first revision (2015) and I have the exact same problems. The remote has been mostly fine but the controller has been a hell. I mostly use it as a TV but whenever I want to stream games, I kinda need to pair the controller again.
    Apart from that very annoying problem, I love it though.

I undeetunde the second revision is much better as they changed the connection system to fix those common problems. If you have the first revision and doesn't have any connectivity issue, well, I'm going to say I am jealous :)

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Shield TV.

I have a dedicated HTPC with 2 dual TV tuners PCI cards, 9 HDDs (40 TB) for movies and TV shows but now it simply acts as NAS and live TV PVR server for my Shield TV.

Why?

- WAF and user friendly in general.

- Kodi/SPMC, Youtube, Amazon prime, Netflix...can be controlled from the included remote or a BT keyboard.

- Valve just released a Steam Link app in the Google Play store that works fine with Shield TV, it supports the usual gamepads and added a firmware update enabling BT for the steam controller.

eGGroLLiO likes this.