NVIDIA Shield 2019 Leaks - Meet the Shield TV Pro, has Tegra X1+ and Dolby Vision

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    HawaiianBrian likes this.
  2. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Lets hope that this time power adapter would be better, i returned Shiled because mine was buzzing and nvidia wasnt able to replace it..

3. samir72

samir72 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti
    A couple years ago I was in the market for either the NV shield or the Roku Ultra, so I decided to purchase both and do a comparison on both products, turns out at that moment the Roku Ultra showed a better picture and streaming quality than the Shield. Taking in account that I'm Purist A/V enthusiast, I've never reconsider the shield for streaming again.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I have both and I don't experience this - now that this shield has Dolby Vision there isn't even an argument for the Roku.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I do find it weird that roku doesn't have dolby vision in them yet, since 4K Roku TV does. Maybe the 8th generation that was just announced does, i can't find any specifications on it really.

6. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    The Netflix button just made it the worst update ever. Damn you NVIDIA for procreating things up and destroy a clean look.

7. americoliveira

americoliveira Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 @2025@10900
    And youtube HDR support?

8. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    These updates (Dolby Vision, HDR) sound like software updates that can easily be added to the previous version of Shield. The new remote with added more obvious control buttons is nice, but I don't see anything worth paying another 200 for if I already have the previous version. I can't even use Dolby Vision or HDR on my projector anyway.

ps. the "mic" button on remote i presume is to get around privacy concerns with previous ones where mic was *always* on and listening. Maybe now mic only on when button pressed.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Most likely for Dolby Vision the SOC needs a certification for the feature.

I'm more interested in the Tegra x1+ SOC, and why Nvidia has no material on it.

10. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Many welcomed improvements. Day 1 buy. The Shield is great, continues to get support from nVidia. Disappointed it doesn't have the new WiFi 6, but I'm hooking mine up through Ethernet anyway.

eGGroLLiO likes this.

11. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Interesting. My TV support dolby vision... and I do like the way the remote looks.

12. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Still 3GB RAM and 16GB internal storage. Complete and utter joke.

Bet the wifi performance is still atrocious and the remote is just as woefully unreliable. At least it takes proper batteries now though

13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah that looks awful, but I just use my tv remote to control my Shield. And my tv is getting quite old so shouldn't be a problem for most.

14. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    So running through my 2019 checklist:
    USB C charging - Yes
    HDMI 2.1 for 4k60 HDR at 4:4:4 - No
    eARC - No
    Wifi 6 - No

WTH nvidia? Put a netflix button and resell the same device for the third time?

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There's also apparently going to be a "Shield TV stick" according to a listing on Newegg that has been taken down. Newegg reportedly had it listed at ~$150USD. I'll probably end up picking up a Shield TV after release as my MiBox 3 is showing it's age. Also with the "trade war" it may suddenly become unsupported at any time....not that it was a well supported product to begin with. Hopefully a Shield TV will provide the same or better experience to what I've had with the MiBox 3 for the last few years.

You're an A/V enthusiast, yet chose a less capable device?

I went from a Roku HD to a MiBox because the MiBox provided considerably more functionality and a better experience overall.

16. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Hmm seems like the only difference is 25% more performance and support for Dolby vision which my TV supports already.
    Now, the thing is, how will the actual performance be?.

Will it be better to play android games? Will it give better PS2 and gamecube emulation performance considering the 25% in performance increase?

Will it give better KODI and PLEX performance now?

Will it give better Geforce Now ethernet performance, (reduce lag, spikes and handle streams better)?
    Will it give 4K and HDR over Geforce now over ethernet?

Will it support google stadia considering the built in chromecast?

There is so many things to test to prove the actual worth over the original 2017 version. It might not be worth upgrading, but who knows.

For me it sounds like its a marketing trick against Stadia, PS NOW, APPLE TV, XBOX GAME PASS, and so on, hence why its coming so soon.

17. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    One of the biggest features people seem to be ignoring is the mention of better image quality/upscaling. It would be nice if that came to the original Shield, but if not, that will be worth it alone. The original Shield to this day is bad at this.

18. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    Totally tubular dude...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  19. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Yeah, this would be a huge upgrade if true. I accidentally discovered how bad the upscaling was when I switched my Shield to output 1080p (which lets the 4k TV take over the upscaling instead). The sharpness increased noticeably on 1080p content. I can't un-see this, so now I manually change resolution in the Shield menu, dependent on which content I'm watching. :(

In terms of functionality and usability, though, the Shield is still my favorite streaming device. This upgrade would be much appreciated.

20. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    And how it would work for Android big screen gaming? Its AndroidTV finally in good shape? What about games gamepad support etc?