NVIDIA Shadowplay's Best Setting for YouTube?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Australis, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Nice brainstorming.

Is it Kepler's chip encoder's problem? I will post on NVIDIA's GF Experience Feedback thread to have them check. :evil2:

SP is still my fave but it's good to know my FRAPS purchase didn't go to waste if quality comes first.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I'm playing with H265 compression right now to MP4 containers.

The results are...interesting.

Yet to find a decent 4:4:4 script which doesn't gimp the RGB/BGR24 files I'm compressing, but the 4:2:0 file sizes are extraordinary:

Compressed a BGR24 AVI 10 second clip from 1.8GB to 384 kilobytes into a 4:2:0YUV MP4...staggering.

NOTE: no sound was used, so no AAC/MP3 interleaving which would have upped the size to (roughly) - (equal to or lesser than) 4MB

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, H.265 is a interesting thing to play, just too bad it is not ready for use widely yet.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I'm getting the impression the compression works better when it has more "bits" to compress.

I just compressed a 1 minute 4:2:0 clip of about 1GB into 242 MB, so am making some assumptions on what HEVC can do and how it does it.

5. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, I think the more correct information it get(like the Bluray Disk, all of them are just .... incorrect color that increase the bitrate to restore the corrupt pixel), it can compress it better.

6. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    Youtube encode my videos and turn it so bad than is disgusting, youtube always screw my videos so hard i dont believe.

I dont made lossless videos because size and i re-encode my videos always to editing somethings. Sometimes made by shadowplay anothers by dxtory and do some editing and encoding.

Some pics for example:

My dxtory raw file bit rate of 500Mbps:

[​IMG]

After encoding 2 times with vegas then handbrake and become 24Mbps bitrate:

[​IMG]

Then uploaded to youtube and what it becomes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  7. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, YouTube is mainly for encode speed, not encode quality, so...

And I just watch some 720p@2Mbps Movie and games(which encoded by the uploader, and not encode again by the Video Sharing site), it is more clear than YouTube 720p@4Mbps...

Except it is all about games like Minecraft or 2D/2.5D game that having many similar pixel color, the YouTube quality always is very bad...
    ----
    And ya, this is same for twitch too, it is much crappy than YouTube, as it is only has 20-30s to encode the video.

8. Eesi

Eesi Active Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 H2O
    If i remember it right you could also change the resolution of your video in megui to a litter higher value than 1920x1080 to have a slightly better quality before YT changes the setting to 1440p

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Guest

There's a few problems with ShadowPlay, the biggest being that it favors speed over quality and offers little quality control. You could crank the bitrate up to insane levels, but the quality overall won't be nearly as good compared to lossless or quality based encodes, especially when uploading to YouTube. YouTube does nothing to compensate for blocking or artifacts, which is bad news when reencoding.

You could use Fraps, Bandicam, or Dxtory, but I would recommend Open Broadcaster Software for a number of reasons. The first and biggest reason is that its free. Aside from that, its also far more flexible and let's you use your own custom h264 settings. If you use a quality based encode (such as qp 10) with the very fast preset, you can get a great looking video with minimal artifacts with a significantly smaller performance hit than most other capture programs. 4k 30 FPS encoding is actually possible with OBS, even on an i5. Granted, you will probably need to reencode the video for upload purposes, but that will hold true with any quality/lossless/high bitrate video. In that case, use Handbrake and set the quantizer to 17, very slow preset, and either PSNR or SSIM tuning for a small file size while retaining video quality.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    H264 is bad.

We need to move away from this dogged codec asap.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You're not the first person I've heard say that. What would be a better alternative?

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Guest

And yet it's been acknowledged time and time again as one of the best codecs for quality and file size.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Quality??? R U Kidding me???

HEVC/H.265/VP9 etc knock that cruddy 4:2:0 codec into the ground and stick a stake through it.

We are about to get 4:4:4 at any resolution and H264 will immediately die, forever, you will never see it again - because only a fool would use it after the fact.

14. Poseidon

Poseidon Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 Gaming
    I head that MSI gtx 970 support H.265. How can we record our game with that encoding?

15. hazardass

hazardass New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    This was the first insane idea in your post. Max quality in Fraps is 60 FPS at Full-size video (1920 x 1080). Using this setting,

1 min = 4.1 GB
    15 min = 61.5 GB

Explain to me how anyone will ever want to upload a 60 GB file to youtube.
    Not to mention that since YT already compresses the video so much, you just don't gain much by uploading a humongous 60 GB video compared to say a 10 GB video of the same length.

---------------------------------------------------------------

2nd insane idea. I don't think there is a sane person who would ever want to download 60 GB file just to see your 15 min video, instead of hopping on Youtube and watching in HD.

Your suggestions are just impractical for the average user who just wants to share their gameplay.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015