NVIDIA Sells Two SKUs of each Turing GPU (a normal and OC model)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2018.

1. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    Obviously Nvidia is in business to make money, but is this really a problem?
    Since the partners can't stay in the lines and want to make "Super OC/RGB" everything, this lets Nvidia try to maintain some quality.
    I'd prefer to know my factory OC'd card was binned by Nvidia, and not just slapped with a bigger heatsink and price tag.
    This also seems like it might be a good way to distinguish product lines like Strix, and Aorus.

Since the source was TPU I'll quote them:
    "Two device IDs per GPU is very unusual. For example, all GTX 1080 Ti cards, whether reference or custom design, are marked as 1B06. Titan Xp on the other hand, which uses the same physical GPU, is marked as 1B02. NVIDIA has always used just one ID per SKU, no matter if custom-design, reference or Founders Edition."
    After this they show a picture from 'nv_dispi.inf' which shows 2 2080ti's, 2 2080's, and 2 2070's.

The quote is just wrong from what I can tell. They've used multiple ID's per GPU forever. Here are a few:
    NVIDIA_DEV.0401 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT"
    NVIDIA_DEV.0402 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT"

NVIDIA_DEV.0422 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS "
    NVIDIA_DEV.0424 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS "

NVIDIA_DEV.05E2 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260"
    NVIDIA_DEV.05EA = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 "

NVIDIA_DEV.0601 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT"
    NVIDIA_DEV.0605 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT "

NVIDIA_DEV.0612 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+"
    NVIDIA_DEV.0613 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+"

NVIDIA_DEV.062D = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT "
    NVIDIA_DEV.062E = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT "
    NVIDIA_DEV.0637 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT "

NVIDIA_DEV.0610 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO"
    NVIDIA_DEV.0635 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO "

NVIDIA_DEV.0CA0 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 "
    NVIDIA_DEV.0CA7 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 "

NVIDIA_DEV.0CA5 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 "
    NVIDIA_DEV.0CAC = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 "

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070/ RX580/ 780Ti
    To me, all this does is add a layer of binning from Nvidia. All of the AIB partners bin their best stuff and charge a premium for it. Could be that Nvidia is trying to prevent all those factory overclocked cards from AIBs that aren't actually stable. I had a 970 like that.

I only ever run mild overclocks on anything anymore so perhaps it's less an issue to me than some. If I even bother. My 4790K and 1070 have been stock for well over a year.

3. D3Master

D3Master Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    The electric bill is not the major issue. The issue is how to keep it cool yet still quiet. 100W can be the difference between barely audible fan and jet taking off. A better and more expensive power supply is needed as well.

Yogi likes this.
  4. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Vapour X

5. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Hilbert, thank you for posting this article. It sounds to me as if Nvidia is being cautious with this GPU.

6. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    This was already happening for years, but now, instead of being AIBs making the selection of the best chips for certain versions, it's Nvidia itself. In the end, nothing changes for the consumer!

No chip will be blocked for OC, but cards with better cooling and better power design, will receive the more binned chips to overclock even better. Which make perfect sense, since the buyer of an Zotac AMP! Extreme for example, pay more for that than who buys a basic Zotac card.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

See almost zero problems with it. Consumer wins in the end. NVIDIA added so called “Debug mode” to the control panel some time ago and they did it not just for fun, enabling it caused factory overclocked graphics cards to run at NVIDIA's reference clock speeds. This option was introduced because some AIBs were selling factory overclocked graphics cards and overclocked GPUs too much, beyond the stability levels. It will be much harder for them to sell such aggressively overclocked and potentially unstable cards now. GPU binning and better overclockable chips selection was performed at graphics card manufacturer side before, now it is simply done directly at GPU manufacturer side.

Noisiv, JonasBeckman and Denial like this.
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    That explains a few things, get a batch of GPU chips stick them all on the same non-reference model PCB and then due to variances per chip some might not be entirely stable or at least not for as long as the better binned ones even if all made the cut to 1080 or 1080Ti model but then above that it might get a bit more problematic as clock speeds are boosted even higher.
    (Testing would catch the worst performing chips though I'm assuming at least, the improvements I'm hearing here also sounds like that will increase this even further.)

Sounds like this can counteract that by having two models and then the board partner will use the OC ones (Preferably at least.) for these upper-tier higher-clocked models of the card.

9. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Honestly, I don't even know why people give these cards the time of day. The only thing they are good for is to make fun of and have a laugh at, but that's it. The hilarious prices make them an absolute joke. People are talking about the cards and their different binning as if these things are even relevant, lol. They shouldn't be relevant to anyone IMO. They should be ignored and forgotten until the next gen comes out and/or until prices come back to normal.

10. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti xtreme
    Size is not that big problem as there is big chance that deffect will hit noncritical part that can be simply disabled to increase yield.
    After all full chips goes to quadro and desktop 20xx have big chunk disabled.

As example, your yield have 50% of good chips and 50% having deffect. In those chips with deffect you have 80% chance that it will miss critical part so in the end you have 90% chips that are sellable as either full or cut down SKUs.

11. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    FTW Hybrid 2080S
    @Moonbogg
    So because its irrelevant to you, its irrelevant for everyone? Right.

Lets get rid of things like +100K cars and +10M $ homes,
    cause no one needs those either... :rolleyes: