NVIDIA RTX Video HDR: Enhancing SDR Content with AI-Powered HDR Conversion

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 25, 2024.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT

So true. Stuff like DLS/FSR/frame generation should be ideal for weaker cards or cards running out of steam, instead they work better when the baseline is already so high that they are barely needed at all...:eek:

But even worse is having to compromise in order to run certain effects, meaning that we have to lower the overall quality image so we can improve the same image with certain effects designed to improve the same overall image!...:confused:

Like, we have been achieving the same result by lowering the settings in games but apparently that no longer works, now we have to run games with maxed out settings, then use AI tools that lower the resolution of image and then upscales it to enable more demanding effects like RT...

And to think about all the people that critized and laughed at the PS4 pro because it used an upscaler...

Anyway, amazing post that sums up what i think about the current state of software solutions used to "improve" graphics.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    BuildeR2 likes this.
  2. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    That is such a great line

BuildeR2 likes this.
  3. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I have found the exact same thing in latest LEGO Fortnite game (which runs on Unreal Engine 5 and I have it running max with full ray-tracing on) - I found that there is horrible very noticeable motion aliasing artifacts on all the Lego brick edges on buildings and other flat areas no matter what "native" resolution I tried (all other graphical settings maxed).

The ONLY way I could get rid of all the motion aliasing artifacts on the bricks was to use the NVidia DLSS Quality mode (which I think runs native 1080P up-scaled to my 1440P native monitor resolution). And it just overall looked better than native 1440P rendering.

pegasus1 likes this.
  4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Interesting! I've never ever played ForkKnife without DLSS so I wasn't aware of the issues it has natively. It was glorious playing at 2160p with DLSS Performance, 240FPS cap, competitive settings and using less than 100 watts with an undervolted 4090 profile. :eek: These sorts of "success stories" regarding DLSS give me hope that RTX Video can turn into a good thing once it hits 2.0, much like DLSS.

5. joshk

joshk Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090
    I love DLSS and FG. Looks perfect for me in 4K, 120hz with 4090. Just buy real PC, not potato.

6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yes - but interestingly I have just noticed that the motion artifact aliasing on the LEGO brick edges returns even with DLSS in certain lighting situations such as low light when lit by "flickering" type lights such as handheld torches... so it may be that DLSS could be further trained somehow to handle this kind of moving/flickering light better.

7. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

I would never pay more than 300$ for a GPU.
    Unless required for my work
    Maybe in a few years this will change due to AI advances for example generating the textures/environment in real time, but for now all these technologies are just not there

If someone has a 4090 I would expect to play at native 4K+MSAA or DLAA, or use super-res/downscaling from a higher resolution
    Everything else is a reduction in image quality
    I don't see how claiming that you have the fastest GPU and then saying,
    "I play at half-res and with motion interpolation enabled" is supposed to be positive.

8. joshk

joshk Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090
    Just no.Good monitor, 4k, 120fps with DLSS and FG is perfect for 4090. I prefer high framerate, than some BS about imaginary quality reduction.