NVIDIA RTX 4090 12VHPWR plug melts and burns during gameplay

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I've used 6 and 8 pin equiped GPUs and so far no problems. Before you ask, my current card has a 90º bend on the cable and never gave me a problem. Oh, and it's a 6+2 type of cable direct from the PSU.
    These problems are just stupid, two 8 pin power cables don't take any space at all and if you really need more to power your card: you should go back to the drawing board, sucker.

2. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    食人鬼
    This deserves to be repeated here.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If this is all because of the "aggressive" bending of the connector, then they should have designed one that is more solid around the "right" amount of bend (if that makes any sense...). And while at it, include a list of compatible and incompatible cases, or at least mention the clearance needed to be able to put the side panel back on. This is one of those things that could have easily been avoided, and it's pretty sad to have to rely on 3rd party cablemods on a 2500 euros GPU, like seriously...

Maddness, sykozis and Picolete like this.
  4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    More likely for his address so they know where to send the hit squad.

Ivrogne likes this.

5. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Wouldn't have happen with the good old 3x8PIN connectors.

6. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Sapphire Tri-x
    The main point of this connectors was to use them in server GPUs, Nvidia decided to use them on normal boards too

Solfaur likes this.
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 Ti XLR8
    Problem is the 12+4 Pin is pretty much designed in such a way that it will barely handle the max load, it's not overbuilt like the old connectors.

They should have gone the route of combining two traditional 8-Pins, would have been small enough to save PCB space. Or perhaps made it 14-Pin with a 6 and 8 if they wanted smaller. But reducing the terminal size was the biggest mistake they could make.

Sadly there is no way back for the Nvidia 4000 and AMD 7000 series.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 Ti XLR8
    Not just bending i think, there will always be some slack inside the connector.

The terminal has to be a super tight fit and not able to move back and forth.

The only other option i see if they want to keep this design, is to mould the terminals into the plastic. That would ensure they can no longer wiggle around when the cable is being pulled.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 Ti XLR8
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I never understood why this new connector was made the way it was in the first place. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have just used plates rather than pins? That's how some server PSUs work and they're handling more watts than an overclocked 4090.
    Yes, I know you only get wires out of a PSU, but they could either be made ribbons or just soldered to the plate. The problem is the connector itself, not so much the individual wires.

Kinda funny though - many of us have been saying there needs to be an upper limit to how much power a GPU consumes. Well, looks like Nvidia has forced this limit upon themselves by using this connector.

SplashDown, Solfaur and H83 like this.

11. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    If they wanted, they could replace the power with just a positive and negative lead with stranded 6 or 10 mm² cable - stranded just for some flexibility, it's just 12V DC.
    The issue is the connector design or the implementation (cable manuf./provider) of them - haven't gotten into it. Perhaps the pins are too short - not as much contact and not aligning well, especially when one end is levered by the cables? They could just have power and data as separate cables with other existing and heavily used (tested) connections (borrow from other industries, whatever) - these old keyed similar looking pins are all supposed to not fit into the wrong thing anyway... and the new stuff isn't directly compatible.
    I'd also let the wires from the new standard connector be longer for these conversion cables and transision into 8 pins nearer to the PSU - less material to bend the connector into an angle and less weight.
    How about a hard (plastic with metal bars/longer-pin internals) 90 degree plug.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 Ti XLR8
    mohiuddin likes this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 6950XT
    Wanting to save space makes sense on smaller cards, but on cards that measure more than 30cm long and weigh more than 2 kilos, it seems pointless...

But saving space on the PCB could mean saving some bucks and corporations love to save money, specially on high end products that cost an arm and a leg...

Solfaur likes this.
  14. Pryme

Pryme Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3060 12GB
    Did EVGA experienced this in their initial testing with 4090? Maybe reported to NVIDIA and got 0 ensurance that situation could be solved, and then threw the towel on the floor. They already had many problems with the 3090, they didn't wanted another sh*t show.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 Ti XLR8
    So far the reports we have are all from AIB cards, maybe they strayed too far from Nvidia's power schematic?

16. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dell 6800XT 16GB
    I mean water blocks don't always come out for a launch GPU right away. And also maybe he wanted to play and test on it before adding it to the loop. I swear some people kill me with their nonsense.

Maddness likes this.
  17. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti X Trio
    There are already 3 cases confirmed...this is getting out of hands @NVIDIA

mohiuddin likes this.
  18. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

Intel knowing they have underdog GPU in their labs decides to design bad GPU power connector as a standard so their competitors can use it and end in smoke while Intel uses the old trusty PCIe 8pin power on their brand new GPUs. Genius :D

mohiuddin likes this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 OC
    Do we know amd will be using the same connector? There is no confirmation they could be very well still going with 3x8pins for their gpus.

20. anthos

anthos Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    mohiuddin and Undying like this.