NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti could have the performance of an RTX 3090 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Blame that on crappy bios.
    My sapphire nitro+ R9 fury would push 275w and hit around 76c. Undervolt, bump in fan and it dropped way down to 225, no performance loss, and was around 67c load.
    Not even my fury x pulls 300w. 6800xt I have stock settings pulls 225w.

Silva and Fediuld like this.
  2. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    "Yeah but can you power-up that card though?" / "Yeah, nice performance, but I'm roasting in here..."

I'm starting to worry a lot more nowadays about power consumption and, perhaps even more importantly than that: heat dissipation.

My current card is an RTX 3080 12Gb (slightly factory OC'ed, too). My previous card was a GTX 1080 (non-Ti). The amount of HEAT that comes out of my PC tower is complete insanity. If I leave my bedroom windows closed, turn off the room fan and close the room's door with an ambient room temperature of about 27º Celcius (typical / normal temps here in summer, without heat waves) and I play something like Cyberpunk 2077 for 20 minutes, or any other modern / demanding game for any amount of time then my room's temp increases by a whooping +3 to +4º Celcius. After 1 hour it can get to +4ºC easily.

To make the whole experience "comfortable" I now HAVE to: 1) Make sure the windows are opened, 2) the Room's door is opened, 3) the Room's fan is active (No AC here). Or, 3) Hope summer goes away faster than usual and pray that Autumn / Winter temps kick in to help the whole situation.

I never in my life would have thought that graphics cards would reach that point. If an RTX 4070 Ti gets close to or goes beyond the performance of a 3090 Ti then what's the HEAT cost of that? Not even talking about actual power consumption or the electricity bill at the end of the month if you leave your PC on nearly all the time (which a lot of people do). Really, what sort of RADIATORS of a GPU are we ready to go for (I'm surprised GPUs aren't built on big radiators at this point, seriously; how many fans are we going to need for RTX 5000 series? Will liquid cooler become mandatory at some point?), in the name of performance? Those companies need to change the laws of thermodynamics before the next gen cards come out or we'll have power outages and city fires everywhere.

Solfaur and Silva like this.
  3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I had a poor sample (It was also a Sapphire Nitro+), wouldn't undervolt much without causing instability - power limiting was the only option but I'm gaming at 144hz so it was a noticeable drop for me.

Temps were well controlled but doesn't mean it still doesn't dump a lot of heat regardless.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  4. ~AngusHades~

~AngusHades~ Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I know, right? Each news corp has its agenda, so why believe any of them, the great Thomas swolle, which I've read all his books, said that and the plan to make more money. The goal is to brew up hysteria and get government funding. Climate change is a thing, but the government can't fix it. They are incompetent to fix anything.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Fediuld and Passus like this.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I get that. Yea those cards dump alot of heat in the case.
    Hence why I went with a custom loop anymore. Even with my gpu pushed to 300w for benchmarks, and cpu at 4.9 pulling 135w, its still barely look warm air in the case. Far less then when I had a triple fan gpu.

6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I do it with a 750W PSU none the less :D

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    How much does 6800xt pull when you push the card for real? I bet its more than 225w ;)

Even my 2080super pulls 240w on average.

8. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Where are you located if its not a secret, what location can supply all its power from hydro all year round? I am doubtful but also curious.

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I was fortunate to have bought my new house at the planning stage so I knew what room would be a gaming room. No direct sunlight onto any windows and patio doors placed so cool air runs through the room. Summers are hot in the Med and 40c is common enough as it high humidity in August, this is why I have the most powerful AC units in my gaming room (and living room and kitchen) with mid level units in the bedrooms. But I'm still looking for a water chiller but I think il need to import one from the UK or mainland Europe.

10. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The supposed price/power on the new Nvidia cards makes them uninteresting to me unless the reported cost is BS and something nice can happen with UV. Nice things happened to my 3080 with UV.

The 3080 cost me the same as my 1080 Ti for a nice perf bump, that is progress, a 4080 at one thousand American dollars is a non-starter for me, even if it's powerful and comes with a free Mars bar or something.

11. ~AngusHades~

~AngusHades~ Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I'm with ya, mate. I would never get an electric car; I love my boosted jap cars too much.

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Give me a break...you can just overclock and get whatever performance you want from the card, as it should come from factory tuned for best performance/efficiency and not the highest it can go before crashing!

Nuclear you say? Glad you don't live in Europe as the biggest Nuclear power plant in Europe is Ukraine and controlled by the Russian military. News are its reactors are out of control and there's a risk of a nuclear incident. Ya, go nuclear, because nothing could go wrong.

Hydro you say? Well, frack us in particular that don't see enough rain and rivers have been drying up making it impossible to use the hydro power plants.

Ya, use all the power you want cuz you're privileged to have a river, yet. The world is not only you.

Undying likes this.
  13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    LOL mister gaterkeepr.
    He is more enthusiast than you since he can cope with pc gaming removing the dumb part of it.

Passus likes this.
  14. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    No this is wrong. Nvidia/Intel/Amd know they put those gpu toys in the hands of kids or youngs people, that they don't know or they deliberately choose to don't give a frack. And so every house hold get around 6-7 hours of an 500w per computer.
    Is just wrong.
    Is not about the heat you dump or how hot it gets, is the power consumed that could be used better or not produced at all.

Silva likes this.
  15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I agree.
    There's nothing wrong about being an enthusiast, but things from factory should come optimised.
    I undervolted my RX580 to v1.0 and put it at AMD stock clocks of 1250MHz: runs cooler and uses allot less power.
    Also necessary cuz my version is poop, courtesy of Asus, and is menacing to die. But so far hanging on and no big performance loss.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You guys know the solution to all this? Dont use your desktop pc all day everyday. I for instance spend most of my time on my "gaming laptop" in this hot days. Casual gaming hooked to my tv, no heat no noise and only when needed some aaa game comes out demanding, raytracing, dlss like spiderman on august 12 i turn it on and only few hours a day tops.

17. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Or make an undervolt profile for your desktop pc all day and everyday, it is exactly the same thing (laptop parts are just that, undervolted desktop parts).

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Yeah i live on a 3rd floor and in the summer heat dissipation by my computer definitely is a problem.

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    LOL decided to test and set the power limit in AB to 41% (lowest) thats 99W and it still hit just under 1900

Maddness likes this.
  20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Pulls 300w. Which doesn't bother me. 99% of thats I play I run it stock. Single player games I dont need 144fps with freesync 2. 48-144 with LFC very smoothly.

Worst I have ever seen was 50c load, 2650 max boosr, 2100 on memory while playing CyberPunk and 300w.

300w for a high end card never has bothered me. 400w outside of some ultra special high end is just trash to be honest.

tunejunky and Undying like this.