NVIDIA RTX 40 Series Might Get 800 Watts TBP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 20, 2022.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 on H2O
    No need for that many i believe , the magic will happen with ddr5 . On my 5700G apu with 32gb of 3900Mhz ram and tweaked timmings + overclocked igpu on this tiny htpc box i have ASRock deskmini x300 SFF i can play a lot of games at 1080p with a mix of medium and low settings flawlessly for hours mostly older but good games. Mainly on latest triple A tittles is where i have to lower the resolution to 720p to maintain 60fps.

Let's hope AMD Phoenix APU get us there my friend :) , at least that's my wishful thinking , nothing better than have a tiny box smaller than a power supply unit been able to play games on it while sipping tiny ammounts of power. That's where i'm heading next SFF and Mini ITX builts , i'm done with monstrous eATX Full Tower cases and expensive water cooling.

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    We can replace our electric grills and tea kettle with this one! That is a triple win! Anybody who is Putin's BFF will surely get one... others, not so lucky... /s

I see what you did there, Comrade! :D

tunejunky, Undying and chispy like this.
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ha, I gave you a like for that message, because it was indeed witty, but me personally I don't mind them shooting for the stars with the power usage - people can always power limit them in the driver anyway through the use of overclocking software - that way you can please everyone. You can also overclock them and power limit them at the same time to increase efficiency, in terms of where you're sitting on the voltage frequency curve (more Hz for the same voltage).

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    yeah 250w is a lot, people forget
    300w is stupid for air cooling
    I don't even know what to call 450/600/800

yup a 450w gpu is like a heater.

chispy and Undying like this.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Nvidia has an unhealthy fanaticism of having fastest GPU at top of the charts. Outside of AMD, no one knows AMD better than Nvidia. Have feeling they know RDNA3 will be a formidable contender and thats why next gen cards will be power hungry. They NEED all that power to get ahead of each other.

tunejunky, Maddness, Undying and 2 others like this.
  6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    300W is fine for air cooling, even above that, if you've got a well ventilated case (optimised - can even be lower than an open test bench) and you're below 30 degC for your room temperature. But, it will be interesting to see how the increased power of the 4000 series gets handled in reviews.

7. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    only if you have a really high end cooler, and eveen then it'll heat up the room in the summer a lot more than you'd want to.

tunejunky, Undying and Valken like this.
  8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    What a gigantic joke this industry is turning into

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Standard 3 fan cooler on the current 3000 series cards are fine in this situation I mentioned earlier of an optimised air flow in a well ventilated case. It'll definitely heat up the room though by a degree or two (or more) depending on your room ventilation & size of the room.

10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    works both ways
    6700xt needed 220w to match a 3060ti
    6800xt needed 300w to get close to 3080

i suspect navi31 will break 450w too.

I think they just don't care. they'll produce whatever tsmc's silicon allows them to, and it allows for a lot.

11. colindawg

colindawg Member

GPU:
    I'll take 3 series performance for half the wattage please

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Not possible since Pascal.
    You can use the bios from another card.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 OC
    All that heat dumped into the case means heating up all the components. I noticed playing someting these days (34c today) my cpu temps keep rising slowly then ryzen cpu clock drops then the x570 chipset turns on and did i mention i have 10fans inside my case?

I can barely sit 1-2h near the pc playing something like FC6 before i cant stand it anymore.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    not enough temperature headroom
    that's just a 2080S with a 3800x
    this is nothing too crazy, it shouldn't drop clocks

the amount of fans doesn't matter tbh, the airflow and fan quality does

it's been the same way here in Poland and i've seen nothing out of the ordinary.
    it's been so hot that when I was coming back from work and rain fell down there was water vapor rising from the ground like thick fog

get a mesh case.good fans and a proper aio.that case looks like a fish tank.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  15. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    when it's hot like that and things begin to throttle , power limit 85% , let temp limit be connected and just drop down with it
    temps will be 10c lower in an instant and gaming will be smooth
    got some bad air flow in my case , perfect solution

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    im more concerned about the heat dumped into the room tbh
    I had a 980ti, stock was already hot, but oc it was like hell, must've been 300w or higher.

thank goodness w. 3060ti and dlss I don't have to use more than 200w, and even that's rare.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 OC
    Im little exaggerating but the heat from the case then gets dumped into the room. It can get hot.:D

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Im out my house M- F from 06:15 to 20:00, nothing is powered up with the exception of the fridge and pool pump, i even turn off the WiFi and AccessPoints, damn right il be smashing the most power hungry card i can get my hands on at the end of the year.

tunejunky likes this.
  19. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    That's the correct way to not waste energy/money for "nothing". You are one of the very few that actually do that.

tunejunky likes this.
  20. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Meanwhile, as a former SLI and TRI-SLI user, I'm just meh at the power requirements. I've had TRI-SLI 980ti and a 1700W PSU six years ago. The big thing for me though is cooling. With so much power now running through single cards instead of two or three requires massive cooling. We've already gone from dual slot to triple slot to quad slot cooling solutions, blocking out more and more PCIe slots (though what does a gamer need these days besides that main graphics card ?) and putting more and more weight and strain on both the card and the mainboard. It's not just for show that a lot of cases nowadays use PCIe risers to mount the graphics card vertically.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    tunejunky likes this.