1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia releases Titan RTX with 72 RT cores and 24 GB GDDR6 at $2,499

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Fanboys will still pay it...

2. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    I'm torn between buying a new house or the new Titan RTX.

3. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    People should stop using the word launched or launch when talking about GPU MSRP. GPU MSRP is basically at this point a myth. It doesn't exist.

This card wont launch at 2.4k It will more than likely launch at around 3.5k to 4k.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    You can buy it directly from Nvidia at MSRP - same with Titan V.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Really i did not know that. US only?

6. Petr V

Petr V Active Member

GPU:
    Gtx 650
    No this one is not aimed at gamers.
    2080ti is and this is double priced card for nothing.

7. illrigger

illrigger Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Despite the marketing, this thing is aimed squarely at entry level 3D design workstations, gamers are an afterthought. It's the exact same specs as a $6300 RTX Quadro 6000, just without the software support for high-end 3D apps.

Most mid-range and lower apps will work with consumer-level cards, so these will get you the same rendering performance for less than half the cost for the shops that run those apps - you can get two of these and link them for $1000-1200 less than the cost of a single RTX 6000 (depending on how much they end up charging for the link bridge). With full bandwidth NVLink, it should even be able to share video memory for those apps allowing massive projects to render without swapping out to system memory (which believe me as an amateur, can turn a 1 hour render to a 12 hour one).

Once iRay and the other freemium renderers are updated to support RTX, pairs of these in NVLink are going to pave the way for pro-quality 3D movies from enthusiasts that can be turned out in days or weeks instead of months or years.

8. illrigger

illrigger Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You can always just add another refrigerator box to the shanty you must be living in if houses cost $2500 in your area.

9. Archvile82

Archvile82 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    So is quadro cards now aimed at gamers as they too have the RTX branding so that's a null point. The people thinking these are gaming cards have you even looked at the specs ??? It got 2-3x better AI performance than a 2080ti, 8k video decoding and then it's got the extra RAM. It's clear as day it's aimed at a different market.

Also everyone moaning about the prices need to realize this chip is huge, expensive to produce and produced in low volume. Of course lack of competition also contributes but why should Nvidia build power house cards ,push boundaries and sell for peanuts. Makes no sense from a business perspective. They could just leave it then we all be left with mid range cards and then we have people moaning we have no 4k cards capable of good fps and quality settings.

Aura89 and BangTail like this.
  10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    I keep hearing that this card is not for gamers but what if it's faster than a Ti in games what then? Still not a gaming card? It may not be built for gaming but my guess is it'll do gaming very well.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Being faster at a certain task doesn't make it intended for that demographic. For example, an i9 can easily outperform server-class Xeons of similar core counts, but it isn't a server CPU. A Ferrari easily has the power to tow a boat, but that doesn't make it a good hauler.

Aura89 likes this.