1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia releases Titan RTX with 72 RT cores and 24 GB GDDR6 at $2,499

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I think you have me confused with someone else. Can't even remember the last time I posted in one and it certainly wasn't opinionated if there was one.

Anyways, I'm gonna sign out here for a while. Been doing nothing but fighting with other users and it's pretty time wasting and tiresome. I'll come back after the forums cool down and goes back to benching and talking about new tech and all the other stuff that made this forum/site good. Right now the forums are just a bitter mess but at least Hilbert is still posting good quality articles. Maybe I'll just stick to the front page and stay away from the forums for a while.

BangTail likes this.
  2. Petr V

Petr V Active Member

GPU:
    Gtx 650
    Dat price is far over to real value of this card nvidia is just become stoned.
    It’s even better 2800€ for litle faster 2080ti FE.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    HH will magically put any Titan's he got into a magical bag, and pull out Titans without an end to give them out to us until only his original sample is in the bag. Christmas wonder! :D

H83 and Solfaur like this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Looks like I upset a few characters and that's not my intent. Also, I'm talking high-end gaming which I might not have been clear with from the begnning.

If 4K@30fps is the target then I guess the One X would suffice since it pretty much already does this :)
    Personally I would not play at 2560x1440p on anything bigger than 27" or else the pixels would be too large.

Yet you can buy 4K TVs everywhere and they're not that expensive anymore (even OLEDs). What I mean by that is that the tech is there and available to the masses, yet the parts to make full use of this tech are too expensive. And I also didn't say that PC gaming in general is for rich kids today but now that nVidia has set a record high on GPU prices and Intel too with the 9900K or even 8700K, who knows what's going to happen next? Razer has always charged way too much for what they offer but lucky for us as consumers, there is a lot of options to choose from in the peripheral business. I guess here is where our opinions go different ways cause I still don't understand the purpose of buying a 60Hz monitor if you're planning on using 50% of it's capacity?

I agree to some of this but I'm sure there are also a lot of examples where the PC port is excellent despite it's being released on console first/as well. Only game that comes to mind right now is Destiny 2. It is so ridiculously well optimized and looks absolutely fantastic. It has 21:9 support, unlocked frame rate and tons of graphical options.

Sorry man, I would have to disagree with you. I believe that 2D games age well but not 3D games, the N64 and PS1 in particular (that's why I would never ever buy a PS1 Classic or a N64 classic). When 3D was in it's infancy on inferior hardware it didn't exactly look peachy. But sure, in those times we didn't know better but now we do :)

I was talking about high-end gaming (1440p and beyond). True that indie games require no more than a potato computer.

My post was aimed at high-end gaming that require cards like the 1080Ti or faster. I'm sure there is some competition in the low and mid segment but there is none in the high segment. After all the 1080Ti, 2080 and 2080Ti are so much faster than Vega64.

And I really don't feel that PC is dead, I think it's the other way around, but my post was a matter of hardware availability to most people in industrial countries and not about software issues :)

Sorry but that's not true at all. Sure, if you look back 20 years they yes, computer parts got cheaper due to way higher demand than in the 90s. But if you look at the past 5 years then computer parts are getting more and more expensive. I'm not sure how things are where you live but here in Sweden it's gotten worse. Let me give you an example:

More than three years ago I bought my 6700K (3000SEK), 16GB of DDR4 RAM (800SEK), Z170 mobo (1500SEK). If I wanted a computer upgrade today buying equivalent parts those 5300 SEK wouldn't get me anywhere. I'd probably have to downgrade to a i5 or buy AMD (2700X) which would be on par with what I got today.

fantaskarsef and Solfaur like this.

5. Archvile82

Archvile82 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    Why are some people going crazy here, this card is meant for small business, university's or development studios who need a high end equipment at an affordable price. It's just part of Nvidias product stack and Its clear this one is not aimed at gamers.

Just more people wanting to create noise over nothing.

Evildead666 likes this.
  6. kings

kings Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    You must know at this point, that AMD is always winning, they can never loose!

After all, they are the good guys, and the good guys always wins. At least, that's what they tell us in the movies!

AMD with its 20%~25% market share on dGPUs, are dominating Nvidia!

7. m4dn355

m4dn355 Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 7870 GHz Edit.
    Perfect gift for Christmas

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    He is talking about hardware, not software. And at least a game like Street Fighter 2 was worth it - as an old-school fighting game player I played the hell out of that game. In contrast, Street Fighter 5 was NOT worth it and gamers complained plenty when it was first released (including me, who foolishly pre-ordered it). Gamers today aren't more entitled than before - we are simply demanding our money's worth.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yeah pretty much, though my point was that you can get a PC experience for around the same price.
    To each their own - I can see why you'd feel that way.
    A couple things:
    1. 4K TVs relatively aren't that expensive but let's not forget to keep privilege in check. 4K is still significantly more expensive than lower resolutions. I myself am seriously considering getting a new 40"+ 4K but I've been holding off since GPUs haven't proportionately dropped in price.
    2. Just because something is somewhat common, that doesn't detract from it being a premium product. 4K displays are definitely becoming more common, but movies/TV are slow to transition and hardware to output to a display is struggling to keep up. It wouldn't surprise me if 4K prices are dropping simply because of over-supply, and there's over-supply because devices and content can't keep up.
    Anyway, I do take your point that the trends Nvidia is setting show a bleak future for high-end enthusiasts, but as long as people speak with their wallets, that won't continue.
    Intel's price trends are irrelevant. First, even with their S&D issues (which in and of themselves are a good reason for their price trends), Intel CPUs have decreased in price per-core dramatically over the past few years. They're still way too expensive IMO, but even a CPU like the 9900K isn't as absurdly priced as it would have otherwise been 2 years ago. And on the note of the 9900K, although that's a great performer and hypothetically cheaper, it is still a stupid product for its price point, especially if you're talking 4K gaming. So when it comes to CPUs, frankly, it really doesn't matter what happens next because we do have affordable options that will work just fine. A Ryzen 2600 is really the most you ever need for 4K@60FPS gaming, even if you do streaming (based on modern-day needs).
    Of course there are excellent PC ports - I already gave examples of studios that do that. But games by those studios, or Destiny 2, are the exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, unless it was made clear ahead of time, you should assume that a port to PC is going to feel lacking or lazy.
    What specifically are you disagreeing on? I didn't imply [classic] 3D games age well; my point was that playing old games on old hardware is a horrible experience at first but you quickly get used to it, to the point where it actually doesn't bother you so much; to the point where you actually enjoy yourself.
    The reason I brought that up is because the only reason why you think you couldn't tolerate a downgrade from 4K@60FPS is due to being used to it. You can still be consciously aware of a downgrade and you can still [understandably] want something better, but depending how focused you are on the game, you begin to not notice it so much.

10. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Seahawk EK
    Because the price has doubled for this top tier card and while you might think this doesn't effect you it actually does as there is a trickle down effect and not just this card but every card in Nvidia's lineup has had a price hike, Nvidia are price gouging and it's like everyone wants to cheer them on.

Netherwind likes this.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    But this isn't in the same market as the RTX 20XX series. Those are cards meant for gaming markets, Titan is not.

Evildead666 and BangTail like this.
  12. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Seahawk EK
    They are all GPU's manufactured by Nivida and while this one has prosumer usage as well its besides the point, there will be fanboys who buy this regardless to have the epeen of having the fastest card on the planet and they'll game on them. But my point is every card in Nvidia's lineup has had a price increase not just this one, hence the reason people are upset but hey let's climb on the float and throw some confetti about after all it is Nvidia.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    This is technically a price decrease - the previous Titan V launched at $3000 lol. Such savings!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Seahawk EK
    Ah I was looking at Titan X prices, fair enough then but GPU prices have increased due to lack of competition and the mining craze and people are legitimately upset as RTX so far hasn't been all it's cracked up to be and currently is not worth the price tag, but then that's just like my opinion man.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
    Fine by me. A Titan for every member.:D

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. fry178

fry178 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    @warlord
    So no one should buy expensive stuff, because its expensive? lol

and to say it the other way: consoles have not made money for hardware companies, but for game developers. so you gonna complain about milking there too?

and let's assume you have some money, and just interest is generating 1M$/year for you,
    you would not buy one of the +1K cards?
    right...

everyone has a budget. if the most powerful card isnt in it for me, i buy the next cheaper one,
    no reason to whine about it or souring the purchase for someone that CAN buy it.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't know about that. I've heard this time and time again but was never convinced of it - whenever I see Titans it is almost always gamers who have them. The Star Wars Titan Xps were also obviously nor marketed towards professionals. It may just be my impression, but I think the only reason people think this is because of the price - it's priced much higher, so it must be for a different market.

This Titan also carries the RTX label, which is a replacement for GTX - a label used for gaming cards. They could have called it the Titan T to avoid the confusion.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Titan is a niche product in any market, gaming typically now is the last thing people get them for. But there are RTX Quadros though.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I mean the Titan X was one of the best selling Nvidia server GPUs because it supported TCC and had no real limitations for a lot of workloads. Thinkmate was selling tons of them.

Nvidia started getting smarter and limiting scalability with newer ones via mGPU bandwidth + cutting various features but with TCC support and now Quadro features enabled on all of them from Titan Xp up. I don't see why you'd think they weren't designed to bleed between professional/consumer market.

Like prior to Titan V/RTX if you wanted an entry level card for machine learning/inferencing you were paying $9000 for an AMD Instinct MI25 - which only came down in price to the ~$5K pricepoint when the Titan V came out. A Quadro RTX6000 is $6300 and this thing basically performs the same minus professional support. Can't say the same for a 2080Ti. While most of these distinctions are artificial driven by Nvidia it doesn't change the fact that this card is a really good deal for a lot of prosumers when the alternatives are several times the price.

Also I'd argue that like most people that buy Titans that are using them for prosumer aren't showing them off - so yeah you'd see more gamers with them because people using them for work aren't posting on Guru3D or showing them off in their RGB cases. I know Deadmau5 has several Titans that he uses for visualizations and The Flashbulb (Electronic Artist) also does a lot of visual/algorithmic music production on them. If you go over to reddit CUDA or Nvidia's Devtalk forums tons of people do development work on them.

20. metagamer

metagamer Master Guru

GPU:
    You have to make sure that when you buy a monitor, you'll be able to keep up with it's resolution.

This is why I'm using a 1440p monitor. My current 1080 runs all the games pretty much without an issue. No point in buying these high res monitors if you can't keep up with the frame rate. I know you know that, but yeah, 3440x1440 is quite a lot of pixels to push.