Nvidia releases Titan RTX with 72 RT cores and 24 GB GDDR6 at $2,499

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I have a question - if they disabled gaming on this card and renamed it to "Tesla Lite" for the same price would people still be upset about the card?

BangTail likes this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Too bad those 1440/4K monitors exist and those Ultra settings. If it weren't for them...

I have a 3440x1440p monitor and it requires some crazy horsepower, not to mention playing on my 4K TV. Sure, if I only play indie games or play AAA games at Low settings I guess I could still use my old 980Ti I had back in the day.

tensai28 and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Consoles are certainly the go-to platform for games, and products like RTX will only push more people towards consoles. PCMR is losing to the console "peasants" - in a few years virtually all "PC" games will be crappy console ports and consoles will feature some of the best games as exclusives.

I'm still looking back to the glory days of PC gaming. At least I can say that I lived through that era.

4. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    2500, HAHAHAHA

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Again, lower your expectations. How much do you really need AA? How much of a visual difference do you notice if you turn down shadows or textures just a notch? Does it really matter if your frame rate dips into the 40s once in a while? To my understanding, a 1070Ti can give you an adequate 4K gaming experience without being exorbitantly expensive. Sure, it's not cheap, but 4K isn't currently meant to be a commodity. It's also worth pointing out that many games revolve around the capabilities of consoles, and as a result, are optimized (particularly motion blur) for 30FPS. As much as PCMR gets obsessive over frame rates, you rarely hear of console players whining over 30FPS. Considering the hundreds of millions of console gamers over the years, their opinions can't be taken too lightly. All that being said, you can get a pleasant 4K @ 30FPS gaming experience for a reasonable price. It is up to you if you're willing to pay more than double the price for a few extra FPS at ultra detail; it is up to you if having the best is really worth the novelty.

6. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    I have a 4k monitor @ 144 hz so this is aimed at me. I currently have a Titan V and i still need more power. I can play all games at 144 fps but i have to dial some items down to high or medium to do it, cant just go all ultra. But i am kinda underwelmed. I thought it would at least be the same % higher than a 2080ti, as my V was over the 1080 ti. Guess this isn't going to be the case and i will most likely keep my V.

7. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Only $2400? In for one. :D ;)

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Does the price include a leather jacket? Asking for a friend.

fantaskarsef and Texter like this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Yes, i reserve the right to be mad (online) with stuff i like, specially the stuff i can´t buy...

I agree we all could or should lower our expectations towards graphics settings but lowering to 30 frames per second is asking too much... The reason we play on PC is because we want a better experience...

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Same here man...same here.

Trust me man, I've been squeezing out the last drop of my cards since I left 1080p and since SLI stopped being an option due to underwhelming support I had to do what I could to have a nice experience. For me, a nice experience is getting a steady frame rate at the highest possible graphical setting and that's no easy task at all.

The AA trick is the oldest one in the book and yes, I always turn off AA at 4K but at 1440p it's a different matter since you sit closer to the screen. Since shadows is one of the most power hungry options out there I'm always forced to turn them down a little but you can always leave textures on Ultra since they only eat VRAM and a very very small percentage of performance.

But when you mentioned dips to 40s, that's where it's no longer OK. If I want low FPS I stick to a console, it's that easy. PC gamers have the option to buy monitors that support more than 60Hz, so why not use that possibility?

The console games adapted to PC - well, it could be true for some games but how would you know that? I suppose some devs tell the truth about on which platform the game is originally created on.

Regarding your point about consoles, I could only assume the following. First of all 30fps is console standard and have been so for a while now. Sure, consoles like the Pro and the One X plus some of Nintendos games are capable of running a select 60fps but it's really rare. So a console gamer knows nothing else than 30fps and are content with it. A PC gamer knows that 60fps and beyond exists. Also I assume that console gamers play on console due to simplicity, one unit that just works and they don't have to care about graphical settings and stuff like that, they just like to play the game.

I never paid double the price for a few extra FPS and Ultra settings until the release of the RTX family. Now you are right, going up from my 1080Ti to a 2080Ti would generate 20-25% increase in FPS (which at 4K is about 10fps depending on the game of course) but if nVidia would have set the same MSRP, I would have paid 30% more money for 25% more FPS, which is a great trade-off in my eyes, wouldn't you agree?

Solfaur likes this.

11. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    If you are expecting that Navi will compete with this, I think you will be disappointed.

BangTail, fry178 and tensai28 like this.
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ♥ MESA 21.3
    I never said it would, but I expect Vega 56 performance for the mainstream at a much lower price.

13. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    If people are willing to pay for it and want the best 4k gaming experience, why the hell not?

anxious_f0x, BangTail and fry178 like this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    You're telling me paying maybe $100-$200 more than a console is asking too much to play 4K @ 30FPS? I think that's pretty reasonable. If you have a display that's 32" or smaller, 1440p is still very nice and you can get a higher frame rate for the same price.
    And you can get a better experience in PC; you just have to pay for it.

You do get that possibility, you just have to pay more. That's the reality - 4K @ 60FPS+ is a luxury by today's standards, so you have to pay luxury prices. As annoying as the higher prices are, they are justified so long as people are willing to buy them. The argument you make is that PC gaming is only for rich kids, but that's only true if you want a premium experience. I don't at all fault or ridicule you for your preferences, but I find it a bit short-sighted to say that PC gaming is only worth it if you want 60FPS+. There's more to gaming (PC or otherwise) than detail levels, refresh rates, and screen resolutions. One of the benefits of PC gaming is having no limitations, and since the sky is limit, so in turn are the prices.

I meant the other way around - PC games that also exist on consoles are built with consoles as the priority. When it comes to multi-platform games, consoles (in particular, the lowest common denominator in hardware) have always been the driving force of how a game looks and behaves. There are several examples of this:
    * Despite Gamecube and Xbox having superior graphics capabilities, all of the games they had that also existed on PS2 looked worse.
    * Games tend to get console releases before PC.
    * Many games are heavily dependent upon gamepads (and even when its a FPS, it might have auto-aim) even though not all PC gamers are assured to have a gamepad.
    * Motion blur in most games is specifically optimized for 30FPS. This is why in 60FPS it often looks really ugly or seems over-exaggerated.
    * Some games ported to PC have minimal graphics settings, force you to use an Xbox controller, and/or are capped at 30FPS.
    * Many games ported to PC, regardless of their popularity, are extremely poorly optimized, such as Saints Row 2 or GTA4.
    Consoles make up the majority of gamers. Devs have finite time and resources, so, they're going to cater to their greatest source of profit first. Only a select few studios such as DICE, Gearbox, or CDPR seem to actually give a damn about giving PC additional bonuses.

It's all a matter of getting used to it. For example, look back at the N64 days. Those games looked abysmal, but nobody really seemed to care. If you fire up an N64 on an old CRT TV, it feels like your eyes are straining and at times, is frustrating to use. But after about 15 minutes, it doesn't seem so bad anymore. Your brain gets used to the lack of detail and compensates for it.
    I also remember the days of Resident Evil 4, which even for its time had noticeably terrible aliasing. But again, after about 15 minutes, you're still aware of it but it doesn't really bother you anymore.
    I totally understand how much of a downgrade it can feel going from 60FPS to 30, or 4K to 1080p, but given enough time, it won't spoil your experience.
    I never meant you specifically; I was generalizing.
    And yes, you have a very valid point. Don't get me wrong - I'm not happy about the prices. If I had my way, I'd have a 2080Ti sitting in my gaming PC right now with a 4K display for half the price of what it is now. I have the money to get both, but since I don't especially hate my current gaming experience, I don't find the value justifiable, and I treat that hardware as merely a luxury; one that will eventually trickle down as something reasonably affordable.
    If that's what you seek then yes, I totally agree.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    This is the honest and sad truth unfortunately. Until AMD (or any other company) brings some competition, people will be left with the choice of paying up or going without and/or lowering standards. Also the forums will be flooded full of people complaining about pricing and void of any real tech talk until then.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    really funny to see consumers whining about the price of a non-consumer gpu.
    do you guys also whine about the price of a non-street legal 500K race corvette,
    when you buy a car from a chevy dealer?

any of you that is married: how much did you spend on the ring/rings? did you whine about the price, or bought what your other half "liked"?

would i love to drive a RS7 perf instead of a vw passat?
    sure, but just because i dont have the money for it doesnt mean im gonna whine about
    its price or the fact that they can charge so much, nor that there are ppl able to buy it,
    nor doesnt it take anything away from either car.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    tensai28, BangTail and schmidtbag like this.
  17. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    I don't get why people really care about the price. My wife bought me a Titan V for a present. Its not like 3 grand is a lot of money all things considered in life. If it is, you shouldn't be buying GPUs period. that said, i want to see benches before i buy one or 2, because from the specs alone it doesn't look like its going to perform much better than a 2080 Ti ( for gaming, which is what i would use it for, same as the V i have ).

tensai28 and BangTail like this.
  18. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Nonsense. PC gaming isn't going anywhere. PC game sales have almost identical market share as consoles and will see no shortage of games due to the affordability of developing on PC since there aren't any crazy expensive licensing agreements required like you find on consoles.

As for the ports... you do have a point there. Microsoft and Sony really f**ked over PC gaming when they began adding the "parity" requirement to their licensing agreements signed with developers. The direct result of that BS was two years of clearly downgraded graphics in PC games resulting in what you see today.... PC games having all the same quality assets that only look better due to higher resolution, and post processing. It's a damn shame. Something needs to be done to change this.

fry178, tensai28 and BangTail like this.
  19. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Drugs for the poor like Titan V. You make believe from price tag.

Do you realize PCMR wannabes that there are people with 10000 games libraries and origin premier etc, but mid to high end tier gpus/rigs only? Think about how much you do matter in the end of the day. Gaming industry never won any money from you. Only hardware companies who milked you.

Solfaur likes this.
  20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti