Nvidia pulls the plug on GeForce Partner Program

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by D3M1G0D, May 4, 2018.

1. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    So as you obviously doesn't know anything of GPP. It doesn't take gaming out of gaming.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    That's true only in case you consider "gaming" branding meant to be for nVidia only. And that GPP was just little cleanup meant to let everyone know that AMD is not in the game.

I think it is funny. Because you do not consider it as attempt to cause harm. Maybe you want to say that some specific branding does not matter... But your very signature spells "Gaming" in GPU name. So it does matter to you.

What would you say if ROG was only for AMD because AMD gave free games and maybe even GPUs to ASUS? What if your MSI "Gaming" card with whatever design and looks that particular branding comes with was not available for nVidia?

3. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    It doesn't.

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    My last cpu from intel was Pentium 4 530.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Sure, but vast majority overwhelmingly bought intel. Even during its most egregious anti-competitive practices. I am sure many were aware of it but didnt care what Intel were doing. They just wanted the best hardware available.

I say its great if you have strong ethical principles and buy an alternate lesser performing, cheaper product to protest Intels behavior. But those who are outraged vs Nvidias unfair business practices better make sure that they do not have Intel systems, lest they come off as bleeding hypocrites.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  6. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Red Devil
    I must say I wasn’t happy to hear that Asus of all companies was actually for this whole program.

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.2
    Another score for the consumer and free competition.

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  8. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Reading the comments on the forums these days is about the most amusement there is outside of msn articles. Seems the lot of you aught to chip in to hire a special council to investigate...

fry178 likes this.
  9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I was hoping with this that it would get rid of that stupid Gaming title that some card Manufacturers use. Back in the day we just went by Geforce or Radeon for gaming cards or Fire Pro or Quadro for Workstation. Now because of Nvidia and their stupid Titan cards we still don't know the demographic for those cards specifically the newer Titan cards that dropped the Geforce name. The AMD Vega cards they had a dual mode which included a gaming mode so a developer can use the same graphics card to test their games. So AMD in that regard had an identity with their Standard Vega 56 or 64 regardless of how crappy their performance may have been. If you look at EVGA cards they don't use the generic gaming gimmick they use their own. The same thing goes with Sapphire cards from AMD.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    I was thinking precisely the same thing.

11. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    A big shoutout has to go to Kyle @ [H]ardocp for bringing this to light. Otherwise we may never have gotten this result.

12. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    What's wrong with the 1050 decent litle bugger!

Now in their defence the 1030 etc are a lot more gaming than so "gaming" ssds!!!

13. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    _________________________________________________________________]
    You have the right to think as you wish, but to act all the time as if you were the owner of reason by mere doctrine by the mark, is quite immature.
    I think forcing a situation that puts financial pressure on manufacturers to downgrade the competitor in an unfair way should not be part of free market policies.
    NVIDIA basically monopolizes and imposes elitist prices, there is no reason to try to kill the rival, after all, without competition who loses is the consumer.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh, so you understand why worrying about this non-issue is not worth it since it doesn't affect anyone either which way?

Great!

I'm sorry you care so much about a non-issue, that was never an issue, and will never be an issue, regardless if this comes back at some point.

What Asus or MSI or etc. name their GPUs mean squat when it comes to purchasing a GPU, no matter what consumer you are. People care about reviews, the GPU name (nvidia AMD and the model such as 1080 ti or RX 580), cost, cooler, and default overclocks.

This is fact. If you choose to not believe this fact, that is an issue among yourself that you, yourself, need to work out.

fry178 and Maddness like this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dam!...so no core2/ sandy/ivy /Haswell?....you had some slow stuff Bro!

you missed a lot of fun.

GetMax, RzrTrek and alanm like this.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8h15uw/hardocp_nvidia_pulling_plug_on_gpp/dygd4tw/

Seems Hard OCP might be in a spot of trouble over leaking details about GPP, guessing it's not too unexpected they'd blacklist them over providing details on the program early.

EDIT: No idea if it would have been kept but getting the information out early and the ball rolling probably affected things a bit in regards to GPP.

Some more advanced users probably go to extra lengths looking up reviews and other facts, others well names and brand mostly even if it might seem strange to buy hardware based on nothing else.
    (And shiny LED's, it's on everything these days for some reason.)

EDIT: Though HardCOP pretty much mentioned as much far as I recall of the original article, price to pay I suppose making a enemy out of one of the two GPU vendors and the one with major market share advantage at that. Good of them to get the info out despite that and publishing the article.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Maddness likes this.
  17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  18. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Totally do not miss anything and i didn't add a penny to intel's monopolistic practices. Phenom II wasn't that slower in comparison to intel's counterparts at its time. Also FX-8320 was very mixed in performance but definitely do not regret, amazing cpu for years. Now i'm on temporary downgrade to fx-6300, you would be surprised how ok this cpu is, especially if you take a note about when it was released.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-VuvS5ZIVtWbGAjK7ALKAFroQEiElvnL
    I do not say it is perfect and i do not need to replace it, totally, it needs replacement but so far it is surprisingly well performing for its age.

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I guess we can see why the AIBs went along, cowardly as they were. None of them wanted to fall on their sword like Kyle did, who is now facing the consequences for his actions.

A bit too rambling, but it's nice to see other reviewers being critical. I hope HardOCP isn't the only site to fall victim to Nvidia's vindictiveness and childishness (seriously, how old is Huang? 10?), and I hope tech journalists band together against Nvidia.

As noted by others, it's important to consider that Nvidia never apologized for the GPP. They played the victim and blamed everyone else for "misunderstanding", but they never admitted guilt or wrongdoing. Although it's good that the GPP is dead, Nvidia's attitude hasn't changed at all, which is quite depressing. Aside from the PR and marketing jargon, how difficult would it have been to simply say "we're sorry"?

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Then there is Asus that has a new brand to market because of this, I wonder if they will continue with it?