Nvidia promises to improve image quality issues with DLSS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well at least they're trying.

warlord and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Go to 02:43 of the video below:

4. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    we pwwwwomise.... just but your cards okay 0.-

Deleted member 213629 and H83 like this.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    We make promises so we don't look bad and shareholders can keep trust in us.

A+ for the effort!

Caesar likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    That's true.

[​IMG]

user1, moab600, BReal85 and 1 other person like this.
  7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    In an old thread I got jumped on by one particular Nvidia fanboi when I said you can't AI your way out of lack of information.

Whether what I said is more or less true in different use-cases is debatable but it seems Nvidia are finding it hard to achieve what they claimed they could do. By the time they resolve the issues with Battlefield 5, Battlefield 6 will be released.

8. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    INTEL & NVIDIA pull shady stunts that hurt AMD and no one really bats an eye.................., AMD tries to fight fair and god forbid their products are a hair slower everyone loses their minds and call AMD a failing poor peasant POS product. Been following AMD since I was a kid around 1990-1993 and I have never seen a company that has stood this strong hanging with the one and only SHADY INTEL and other big dogs.

sykozis likes this.
  9. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    And some RTX defenders (probably milked customers) claimed there is no image quality loss. :D

10. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    So they basically admit that DLSS is bad...
    yikes Nvidia shouldn't you test something before spending billions on it?

Strange Times and Mesab67 like this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In a way, you can. But it is not cheap on compute and AI type used is different than DLSS. Vectorizing lower resolution image and getting each 2d polygon texture. That way you can keep sharp edges upon upscaling.

With the textures, it is much harder job. Getting fine details from reduced ones can result in some inconsistency. But it could definitely be better than what we have seen till now.

12. cuneytcam

cuneytcam Member

GPU:
    .... Let's move onwards with the hype for now then we will do something about it

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Not quite to that extent, but yes, so many in other forums are saying toxic stuff about the Radeon VII....which I, as a user, find to be a pretty good and powerful card. Drivers could be improved upon for better performance, but the present driver, 19.2.2, is pretty good already. Haven't had any issue while playing the games I play, including RE2 and Metro Exodus.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Ah, the pot-stirrers coming alive :D

Personally never cared about AA at high res (4k). DLSS has only elicited a big yawn for me.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Don´t tell me you guys don´t believe Nvidia´s promises?...

More seriously, i´m struggling to understand the appeal of DLSS on high end cards. High end cards should provide a great experience without any compromises instead of having to resort to "cheap" tricks to achieve the required targets. DLSS should be reserved for weaker cards like the 2070 or 2060.

16. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I only game at 1440p but even so I find myself agreeing, compared to 1080p there's already far less need for AA IMO.

Of course with modern titles being relegated to TAA/SMAA/FXAA or other postfx alternatives we're often looking at an image quality reduction rather than improvement these days, compared to MSAA or SSAA.

With LCDs I always found that the number 1 priority to achieve good image quality was running at native resolution, or an even multiplier of it. Which is why resolution scaling, and the upscaling nature of of DLSS, feels a bit weird to me.

Obviously DLSS was sold as a performance increase compared to TAA more than an image quality uplift but I always felt that was a mistake from the start. As PC gamers we often have no shortage of knobs to turn to get higher framerates if need be, a genuine image quality improvement would be a novelty though.

alanm likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
  18. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Like I sad, you can sum up all the DLSS reviews from all around the world with:"Details Lost See Screenshots".
    https://i.**********/JzPxwv7J/DLSS2-Quality.jpg

19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    To be honest, I think it's ok to be pretty toxic towards the Radeon VII - it's noisy, a power guzzler, performance is on 1080ti level (but 2 yrs later than that card launched!), and all while having the advantage of being on 7nm which should give them an advantage over NVidia which is on 16nm (1080ti)! And did I mention it's an overpriced product, even in relation to RTX NVidia. Oh, and lots of bugs at launch. It's really a pretty poor product, and a poor buying choice when there are better options out there for the cost/performance/features.

But on topic of this thread, DLSS needs some work, so good that they say they can improve it. It's unimpressive at the moment.

20. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Well R7 is pretty obvious to me. AMD wants to stay in the conversation, there are ridiculously limited amounts of R7 supply and all it was a stop-gap show before Navi(Navi is targeting mid range)
    to not come empty handed to CES.

Robbo9999 likes this.