nVidia promised us drivers once a month, what happened ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hammie, Jan 9, 2012.

1. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Two pronged answer:
    One, I have had 3 ATI cards in a row now, and except one hickup with my 4870 (which was fixed the next day) have not had a single problem. Granted, I am not a crossfire user, but for single cards, they drivers are a-ok for me.
    Two, The need for constant driver updates is artificial.
    You should think of it this way: Today's engineers and engineering METHODS are so much better than they used to .
    You simply do not need updated drivers every month because chances are performance is close to the max the hardware can give and bugs are further apart.
    Of course I am not talking about the first 6 month of product life, but after.
    A good hardware / software developer does not need monthly updates.
    In fact, in my experience in SW development, monthly updates to software usually hint at bad coding.

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    as far as i am aware i have updated my drivers in the past month, or do we not include beta's in this?

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I owned HD 5870 CFX for seven months (from March 2010) so yes I do have experience with AMD's drivers. Initially AMD only released a certified driver each month so I used those but then they started releasing "previews", which were newer, so I switched to using those.

The end-user still has the choice though of using certified drivers and bypassing the previews if they wanted to which means everyone (well, more people) are likely to be appeased, including those OEMs and partners.

Well ask yourself this then: why do AMD do that? Why do they release certified drivers of the previous month's previews if as you say it is pointless and no-one bothers with them because they're the "same" as earlier "beta" ones? I'm sure they don't enjoy throwing money away for no reason? If they're intended for OEMs/partners only then NVIDIA aren't doing a very good job with theirs, are they? ;)

No-one is saying NVIDIA should get every beta driver certified anyway, just one per month approx. instead of one every 10 weeks on average as happened last year (just five certified drivers in 2011, remember? They may not be important to the likes of me and you but there are some people out their who refuse or do not like using self-proclaimed "beta" software and drivers that carries a disclaimer/warning? I can't say I'd blame them as there was one time when I wouldn't have either (but as a gamer who plays new releases as soon as they come out I have no choice now though).

What it boils down to at the end of the day is this: NVIDIA's competitor deliver a certified driver each month (along with several previews) without fail whereas NVIDIA do not. I recall reading that NVIDIA had dropped regular certification to concentrate on delivering less frequent but better quality drivers. Now I can't say whether that is true or not, although the drivers are generally very good (better than AMD's in my experience), but since NVIDIA already release fairly regular betas that most of us use then what's to stop one of those each month being certified as well?

Maybe they do, some partner's seem to get WHQL drivers that don't appear on the official NVIDIA website but they're usually very old by the time they do (why do they take so long to get certified anyway?).

4. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I think they'll be just fine :banana:

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You have exactly the same choice with NVIDIA drivers. You may still use WHQL even after a newer beta comes out.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The last WHQL driver for my card, for example, came out on 24th October 2011, v285.62, so it is hardly wonderful if you're a gamer wanting to play Skyrim but reluctant to install betas as only the 290.53 betas contain the optimisations for that game so far. The next WHQL set, which should contain these optimisations, is not due until later this month/early next, meaning that there will be have been THREE months between certified releases.

Doesn't bother me as I said, though I admit I prefer not to use beta software/drivers if possible (you reading this, EA!), but it clearly bothers some people.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  7. S†v0r

S†v0r Banned

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    290.53 had 1-2% boost outside, amazing optimizations :p

Also they fiddled with LOD and main system components, i bet this is were they squeezed that amazing boost :rolleyes:

Skybost r3 now this is worth mentioning.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dont get what all the fuss is,there has and always will be plenty of decent drivers from nvidia to choose fromwether whql or not,Nvdia dont need to release loads of drivers per month,whats released atm is good enough!

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It'll be the same three months before all the optimisations/features from current AMD's hotfix/preview driver will get to the WHQL certified one. Thus you're looking at exactly the same situation but with loads more time and resources spent on unneeded monthly WHQL certification. I'd rather see them spending these resources on improving their drivers then stamping that WHQL sign on them every month.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yep...the drivers are so good that if I enable hardware acceleration in Firefox....I can't use the browser. nVidia needs to be working with Mozilla to get that fixed...

11. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    Works fine for me.

12. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    i could really do with less stuttering in skyrim and batman arkham city dx11...

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Batman is just a crappy engine if you ask me. I seen Tom Logan do a Quad-SLI test with the MARS2 and it still ran at 20-30 FPS.

Skyrim isn't too bad but still a poor build for PC. I hope they will solve it. Lucky we got SkyBoost which does eliminate a lot of the frame drops, but still not perfect.

14. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Then you better hope the developers release patches as both have performance problems unrelated to drivers.

and yeah I agree with most people I don't want nvidia to be releasing 10 drivers a month, I don't want "hot patch pre release fix4"

I'm quite happy with their releases there is always a new beta to try each month sometimes 2!

15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I never have or had a TDR problem on my machine.

it got to be the setup people are using.

dont buy cheap cards and maybe you will be safe.( dont flame me for this statement, but I have had problems with buying cheap hardware before. and I wont do it again)

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I used to think browser bugs from drivers were a myth. But I swear the last 10 drivers have fixed one thing and broken 2 others. Only now do youtube vids play without stutter after months of bad drivers.

Even when 3 or 4 major games are released in a month...the next few drivers often don't contain optimisations.

I've been using Nvidia cards for 4 years and I've noticed a steady decline in driver quality ( in terms of update frequency and quality of fixes...not that the drivers are making games run progressively worse )

17. S†v0r

S†v0r Banned

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz

Bingo.

18. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I personally don't see a problem with the release Frequency of drivers from Nvidia..the quality has been great considering how often they have been pushing releases of BETA's...key word here.

I mean really...those that seem to complain over the lack of releases are the same ones that just have this itch about testing or benching when its not about that. The most recent drivers are more than fine for regular every day playing of I'd say 99.9% of the games currently out...there really is no need to get all up in arms about a few weeks to a month dry spell. After all, most people just came out of a 2week+ holiday vacation time period so relax.

19. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Their usual expediance when it comes to fixes etc has been sadly lacking of late. TOR has major issues with SLI (At least on the 580) and has had since ~20th December, 2011.

Bioware/Nvidia have done nothing to deal with this and we are already in the 2nd week of 2012.

20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I'm not quite sure what the fuss is all about. I've been dealing with both of my ATI/AMD and Nvidia systems simultaneously for at least the last 4 years, both of which had their own fair share of issues and both of which had their own moments to shine. As long as a driver is released that's stable and doesn't expose the end user to any issues, or the least amount of issues possible, then no foul. I personally couldn't care less if it takes either camp months to produce a WHQL driver, or even beta driver for that matter, as long as I'm already getting a good experience for what I paid.