1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia Prevents Reselling Bundled Games By Forcing GeForce Experience

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2017.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    That's the only legit complaint I've seen in this whole thread of whinning.

2. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    LOL maybe they should rename it to another name they've kicked around for a few years now: FORCEWARE

LOL which we will all FORESWEAR

3. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Don't really care, but do not touch my ability to NOT install GFE or I will riot and so will many others. It would damage their brand beyond belief and would be the first moment I would even consider AMD.

There is a reason they backed off. I understand they want to solve driver problems but that move was out of hand.

4. Asgardi

Asgardi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Its very simple: you are being paranoid if the current privacy policies stay intact:

"
    Q: What data does GeForce Experience send to NVIDIA?
    A: The application collects data needed to recommend the correct driver update and optimal settings, including hardware configuration, operating system, language, installed games, game settings, game usage, game performance, and current driver version. If a user is signed into an NVIDIA account, the data is identifiable. All data collected is protected by NVIDIA's privacy policy.

Q: Does NVIDIA share data collected by GeForce Experience outside the company?
    A: GeForce Experience does not share any personally identifiable information outside the company. NVIDIA may share aggregate-level data with select partners, but does not share user-level data.
    "

... and*I checked the privacy policy too and it looks*very nice from the users point of view (unlike Apple, Microsoft or especially Google).

The point of checking hardware and requiring sign-in for promos is very very simple: they get better deals from publishers because they don't lose (potential) sales because of unintended trading of these keys.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Strange, but I see it exactly opposite. Or perhaps Nvidia users are defending Nvidia because AMD users can't attack the performance. Ha ha

6. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac AMP! 1060 6Gb
    Loaded, presumptuous and completely incorrect statement.

Most if not ALL PC gamers use steam to a degree and there's nothing wrong with it. I have no downsides with steam at all. I'd like to hear you elaborate on this

I guess you only pirate games you can't get anywhere else BUT steam. What about your opinion on Origin, Uplay or GoG? Let's hear it, all of it.

I suspect you are a sorely misinformed, disillusioned and angry individual (for whatever reason, you dislike steam) because using a platform has nothing to do with intelligence.
    Not worried at all about that. It won't happen.

7. Pandelas

Pandelas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 dual x
    time to uninstall that crappy software. By the way im looking the guru3d website frequently and some drivers are days behind in GE maybe not at all.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    I don't even understand the whining in this thread.
    The problem is GFE being a forced login, not some Nvidia attempt to circumvent f r a u d..

What in the ass have you been smoking, seriously. PrMinisterGR answered your rant correctly anyway. Microsoft have had big friction with the government on privacy.
    Not sure why it's becoming trendy to hate on Microsoft again.

Of course not, he thinks the ReactOS Foundation can magically reverse engineer the NT kernel on the go while they're implementing their own hybrid.
    And I can't blame him, because from their marketing it's not clear wtf ReactOS is actually based on. Non-technical people do not understand the complexity of certain software. Sometimes seemingly simple software seems complicated and vice versa.

People just like missing just one important fact: ReactOS is based on fcking Windows XP. Obsolete software. Linux + Wine is heaps and bounds over ReactOS. And this is solely due to the OS itself, Linux is just more stable, more feature rich, more just about anything.

As above, it seems to be cool to hate on Microsoft again.

If AMD are going to continue launching high-end cards 6-12 months late or lag with their price drops, yes, people WILL continue to buy Nvidia. Even those like me, who'd prefer to not support Nvidia any longer.

Nvidia has pushed its marketshare very far in the past years despite the retarded decisions they've made.
    Contemplate on that one for a second, ask yourself why this happened.

You tell them what a smart one you are, not using Steam and sh!t.
    Man there's some ridiculous stuff in this thread but you take the cake.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  9. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Geforce Experience is needed by me to be able to stream my PC games to my NVidia Shield 4K TV (it doesn't work right now but that's another problem).

I don't mind registering with the NVidia account but similar to the way a lot of sites are doing these days, there is NO way i would give them my Facebook or other login information.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Nevermind - Delete

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    He's talking about Nvidia GameStream which is more like a SteamLink competitor - but in my experience GS is significantly lower latency and supports 4K/HDR.

As for Shadowplay, I don't think anyone thinks it's a necessity, its just way more intuitive/convenient then other recording options. I don't even use it to stream/post videos on youtube - merely to go back and look at my play when I screw up or miss a shot in a r6 Siege/Overwatch and stuff. It's pretty nice to be able to alt-z and watch a replay without alt tabbing from the game in between rounds and stuff.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Fraps is better.

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    ^ I hope you simply forgot to include an /s.

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Nope, meant every word.

The quality is much better and it has the exact feature denial is referencing as thing he likes about Shadowplay; the ability to record the last 30 seconds or whatever of footage.

4:2:0 versus uncompressed 4:4:4 is no comparison at all.

If you are streaming, there are many options out there minus shadowplay, but if you are recording and you want the best quality, Fraps is it. It just so happens it also has the feature denial likes.

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Well of course, FRAPS uses an uncompressed video codec - which despite being uncompressed will take a big toll on your CPU during gameplay.
    File sizes are big too so you'll prefer a separate hard drive as well, else it will just contribute to the FPS drop.

And I've never heard of FRAPS being able to record the last x minutes/seconds/whatever of gameplay, but if it does it probably does it using the same technique which means slicing your framerate in half just for a sequence you _might_ save?

Maybe I got all of this wrong but it doesn't sound like a great idea. If quality is your target, by all means FRAPS is the best one out there. But bringing performance and storage into equation makes FRAPS a less attractive piece of software.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    VLC supports desktop recording, and to my knowledge VLC also supports encoded recording. Any reason why people don't use that? Sure, there's no frame counter, but if recording is all you care about then shouldn't that be good enough?

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    On top of that VLC allows streaming of screen. So one can use another computer to do compression (if network is good enough).

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Very true, though in my experience, VLC's streaming capability is horrendously delayed. Even if you're streaming to localhost, the delay can be as much as a half second. For most games, that's unplayable. If you're recording, the delay doesn't really matter since you're not playing it back live anyway. When it comes to streaming, a VNC or NoMachine tends to be a better choice (VNC is better if you have CPU cycles to spare, NoMachine is better if you have GPU cycles to spare, and, if you have limited network bandwidth).