NVIDIA Preps RTX 3060 8GB, 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20GB Graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 19, 2020.

1. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I have no particular opinion right now on whether big navi will beat the 3080 or not, I just wanted to say that Nvidia saw big navi as a potential/possible treat and wanted to be sure of keeping the perf crown in the consumer space.

2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The performance or the specs of the card you bought doesn't change just because a new one came out. Thats the entire point.
    What if AMD releases the best video card ever, making everything else "obsolete" as you put it, will those people then blame either AMD or NVIDIA for not warning them beforehand that this might happen? Every sensible media outlet will tell you not to buy right now but wait

Surely a 20GB model will cost quite a bit more. I would assume at least a cool hundred on top, probably more. Does that really constitute "obsoleting" the 10GB model, considering there are many cases where the extra memory isn't needed (and it isnt even conclusively proven that it is needed at all)?

Its the same nonsense as with presumably 20-series buyers supposed to be sad how much better the 30 series is, or something? If you bought it in the last couple months or so you just didn't do your research or you desperately needed one. But if you've had it for a while, why would anyone complain? You got the hardware you paid for, and better coming out doesn't change that. If you don't want your $1200 2080 Ti to lose massively in value, then you shouldn't buy one, because peak products like that will lose their value the fastest, since their price/performance ratio is already terrible.

Consider this, would it really change anything if NVIDIA flat out told you that a 20GB variant is coming in a few months? We did practically know this before launch, just not "officially". But I don't think it would change anything. People would still buy it on launch day, and still complain that its not enough.

Ultimately, there will always be a better card or a better price in the future. Thats just the progress of tech.

TL;DR:
    Don't impulse buy. Do the research when spending hundreds of dollars on a commodity of all things. And if you game on 4K and think 10GB isn't enough for you, then wait for another card with more memory. You don't *need* a 3080 on the first day. Chances are you didn't get one anyway, so a good chance now to take a breather and consider what it is you really want.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Ricardo, Valken, pharma and 5 others like this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Will be interesting to see what the S variants turn out to be but chances are it's the rumored Ti variants.
    And yeah there's going to be a bit of a price premium for that and just the higher memory variant and then the higher memory variant S model GPU's which going by the Gigabyte naming database that was shown there's going to be both.

Doesn't really invalidate the 3080's or 3070's though still excellent cards. :)

EDIT: Unsure on what the 3090's position will be though since it costs a fair bit more for a small performance gain over the 3080 so that's a interesting position.
    Eh it'll probably still be the fastest GPU overall but instead of up-to 20% it might be up-to 10% and at a 4 GB VRAM extra instead of 14 GB.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    It's kinda like the Fury X's ram problem. Even that card is still supported despite it's ram shortcomings.

My feeling on this situation is that I wouldn't be able to afford the 20GB version anyway and would've been more upset that there wasn't a sub £600-700 option in the initial announcement. The pricing of RTX3080 AS-IS is what got people interested in it. Now imagine the 10GB card doesn't exist.

Nvidia already showed us the top card with 24GB ram but for a lot more money. Everything between that card and RTX3080 will be less than RTX3090, but, more than RTX3080. I don't think it's a scam, still great products for the price. If it was £1000 for RTX3080 from the get go I would've said no and probably ranted like everyone else. Nope. They gave us something more of us could afford. Although for transparency and longevity I can see why people wanted more acknowledgment of different ram-size versions becoming available once production ramped up.

It's a rock and a hard place tbh. I'd be happy to see 12 and 16GB versions for a much smaller increase in price.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The 16GB 3070 or 3070S or Ti or whatever it is going to be called looks enticing if it is indeed a Super or a Ti variant with more horsepower than the standard 3070 might warrant the increase price point vs a standard 3070. However as enticing that the 16GB of Vram is I don't need that much vRAM for the stuff that I do. 8GB is plenty for me.

6. DannyD

DannyD Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    I'll see how my current card does with CP2077 @1440p, if the RT brings it to it's knees i'd gladly upgrade to 16gb 3070, even though without RT it wouldn't be much of a jump.
    i'm totally happy with my current card right now, it's got just the right power i need and if i did get 3070 16gb it would have to be a nice one that beats it in every way.:D:p
    *I can't see 3070ti being here for a while yet.

Valken and angelgraves13 like this.
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Be prepared to pay 800-900 for a 3070 with 16GB.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I wouldn't say that much. I would probably would say between $600-800 bucks.

Maddness likes this.
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm glad i'm not one of those people who wish to spend more on something that'll affect them in 3+ years.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nah, 699 because the 3070 uses GDDR6 and 16Gib modules exist for it already.

angelgraves13 and Maddness like this.

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    one of the only good comment I read on videocardz.com was that they released the 10Gb version to be able to get that "much more perf for a reasonable cost" announcement effect
    pretty sure the 20Gb will be around 1000$ they know that price would have made a lot of people angry

if you stop comparing 2080ti to 3080 but more realistically compare it to cheaper older cards and remember Jensen specifically talked to those people (including me)...it is double than a 1080ti in 1440p 4K and even some 1080p games (RE3) for...the same price (I paid the equivalent of 850$ my 1080ti back in the days and now I can buy a 3080 TUF for 799$)
    for me it is litterally double the performance for the less money !

that said waiting for the 3090 reviews and if it's not that good....for a 3080ti or super probably because with our availability here we won't see 3080 normal until the next one is announced anyway :confused:
    waiting for EVGA or aorus watercooled versions anyway so I didn't expect to buy one this year

12. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Now the world 1st problem is CPU Bottleneck o_O

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    hah, compute heavy gpus that are not for gaming. And people are laughing at Vega when it come out now nvidia is doing the same thing. Hows that cpu overhead 3000 users? :p

Turanis likes this.
  14. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Undying likes this.
  15. Ali Ahsan

Ali Ahsan New Member

GPU:
    256bit
    Will this really work out station? As I have some bigger work station.