NVIDIA PR questioned over Temp increase

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Envoy, Mar 3, 2005.

1. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    speedfan cant read video cards properly, it never has been able to,, thats why its 10 deg less... its reading it wrong.

2. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Guest

Since a few other have their theories I'll spout mine. I don't think many have thought of this yet, but you need to look at the whole picture. Longhorn is coming soon. Anything above 71.xx may be Longhorn drivers. I know for a fact that Longhorn is going to be way more 3D intensive than XP, such as 3D windows window tilt, transparency and many other 3D features in windows. I'm guessing they did something to allow more 3D activity but still try to keep the 2D setting. Not a single person has suggested this yet. IMO its possible. I have not tried any drivers over 67.03 as I'm currently undergoing a Vmod for the 6800gt and I didn't even want to mess with it. Just my Opinion. Hope Nv comes up with something I wanna try a new driver set, it's been a while. Let's keep our fingers crossed for 76.00 being fixed. Cuz it's a problem especially if NV has no idea what we're talking about.

3. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    longhorn is still,,, oh god correct me here,, well over a year away so to say they are longhorn drivers,,, nope not true.

Win64 isnt even ready yet althgouth they say its coming 1st quarter

4. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

no longhorn will have thier own driver set once released

current sets are only compatible for support reasons

5. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Man, I had no idea the voltage changed from 2d to 3d and another thing,,when I tried the 71.84's, I didn't look to see if the clocks were the same in 2d and 3d. Both are the same with that driver,,,,for everyone ?

and thanks lestat, I do need to take a good look at bios editing with that program. Seems like it's probably better than flashing. safer at least.

as for nvidia, I bet they end up telling all of us to stick with the whql driver at their site no matter how old or slow it is. and to not use a beta driver if it doesn't work properly. who knows :(

6. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

71.84 huh... hmmm

odd.. one day i'll have the programming expertise to sort this out :(

7. jfolds

jfolds Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 470
    could the powers that be please make this thread a sticky? :cool:

also... as the thread continues, if ya got a amd 2500+ running at 2.4ghz and you make a post could ya list what multiplier and voltage settings your using? Mine is only hitting 2.3ghz ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  8. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    dude wtf are you talking about this thread has nothing to do with overclocking your cpu.
    go to another thread and talk about that stuff.

9. Toxic Worrier

GPU:
    GTX 275
    If thats an Nforce board,,Try 3.3.3.11 there bouts, the 11 is whats important, Try uppin the vdimm to 2.80v also. If all fails..try to get your hands on an Abit NF7S v2.0 Then that chip will be smokin Joe..... :D and find the right thread Fred !
    good luck

10. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I am enjoying this topic very much and I hope that a solution is found and shared with us. I also wish that there was a bios for my BFG 6800 GT OC 256MB card but there is not.

I did check the bioses that go for the nvidia reference cards but they would be of no help either. The lastest was made clear back in july of last year and ups the 3d voltage to 1.4v instead of 1.3v that mine is set at.

Joe

11. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    toxic and jfolds take your overclocking to another thread please it dont belong here.

this thread is messed up already with all the blabbering,, please lets keep it straight and simple...

12. Toxic Worrier

GPU:
    GTX 275
  13. Kamainae

Kamainae Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti xtr
    Well I can confirm that my leadtek a400 6800gt has reverted to normal temps with a bios update, the bios the card has before was rev1 05.40.02.15.00, now it is rev5 05.40.02.32.00.
    The card is overclocking has usual, performance is also normal, and temps are normal(44c, 34a) with 2d clocks at 350 1000.
    :D

14. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    leadtek rev 4 6800 GT bios.

ok everyone with 6800 GT's go to mvk and grab that bios and flash their card, lol... seriously get a few more to test it.... if thats the case then we need more people to check their bios revision with the nvidia control panel (might need coolbits installed i dont recall... ??)

then report back here, if this is true then we may have found a winner...

wht voltages did you use Kamainae ? stock voltages ?

15. Kamainae

Kamainae Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti xtr
    Yes, stock voltages, 1.3vol...

With 3d 1.4vol the graphics show terrible artifacts even at stock speed:(

16. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    wow thats,, not right,,, the GT can handle 1.4v no problems,, sounds like you have a weak card.... honest. ive never seen one that fails at 1.4v
    but then again leadtech isnt known for making topnotch products.
    but hey man if the bios fixes you temp issues awesome!

17. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX 512mb
    I'm gonna list my experiences with the 71.84 drivers....

I downloaded and used the 71.84 drivers...and no temp difference at all....

Got the newest Gainward bios and flashed it to 1.4vGPU on my Gainward 6800GT, modded the bios for 400/1.10 clocks...no problem at all...so it still seems that if you oc the freq. to 400 (2d and 3d) there's no problem?!

Idle = 62c
    Load = 73c (after 30 min rthdribl)

Gainward 6800GT
    Bios : 5.40.02.38.00

18. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    so you have verified that with a new bios and drivers that if you clock it to normal that under 400 the temp issue is still there ?
    just use coolbits and kick it down under 400 and see what happens.

19. TeaEtchSee

TeaEtchSee Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950gt (Winfast a400gt RIP)
    yup yup :)

20. Kamainae

Kamainae Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti xtr
    I don´t think this card is weak, coolbits recomended frecuency is 435 core 1170 mem, and that is quite high;) ...
    The bios i tried at 1.4vol was the one from thugsrock, the GTU bios, its is a gainward bios with some modifications, and this bios don´t work well with my card, this bios has 1.1vol 2d and the leadtek bios have the voltage fixed at 1.3 2d 1.3 3d, and here it´s what the problem lies.
    I supose the card should handle 1.4vol in a leadtek modified bios, but i`m not willing to try it because my current overclock (415 core 1150mem) works nice with this vol. And the more voltage, the more heat:p