NVIDIA PR questioned over Temp increase

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Envoy, Mar 3, 2005.

1. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    i know nothing about water cooling ok sure...

anyways... you think a 5% increase in water is anything and your not even judging the temps of the water by your video card. your nuts.

and whom ever said your ambient temps raise ?? yeah ok sure.. if its the card ambient temps that still dont mean the card is truly raising temps it can still be a driver issue.
    If your saying your case ambient temps rise, you people seriously live in some sort of fantasy land.
    you would have to have at least 100 probes running in yur case checking ambient temps to ever pick up an ambient increase because your card raised 10 deg.

this whole heat issue has gone way out of hand. people claiming their case temps increased and their water increased...
    ok sure,, enjoy your fantasy land cuz thats where you live.
    i can fart a 15% increase in temps and all it takes is for you to open 1 friggin program and your temps will increase 2 deg on your CPU causing your water to increase in temp.

go ahead and judge your temps by your water but if you knew anything about anything which you claim to know about then you knwo that the only way to get a temp reading is directly on the GPU die.

anyways fellas keep up the good work reporing issues or fixes. we'll get nvidia to fix it once and for all.

2. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

It drops to almost normal (+ or - 1-2c) in about three seconds or so, much faster than normal load to idle temps..

If there is a temp increase, maybe it's being reported too high, dunno.. :confused:
    Don't see why it'd drop 10c so quickly though..
    And load remains the same as before.. :3eyes:

3. pumpkinlad

pumpkinlad New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6800 Ultra @ 450/1200
    Something we can agree on, it is in fact caused by the driver.

;)

Not only would I hate to see that, but I can't imagine where the probe would be to test that.

:D

4. 911medic

911medic Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC (@400/1000, NV5 Cooled)
    I'd guess it's faster because the difference is smaller. For me (NV5 cooled), my idle/load difference is more along the lines of 20-25C. And my setup takes ~20 secs to cool to normal when applying the driver "fix." However, the mere fact that the change is not instant tells me it's more than a simple calculation error, as that should be corrected immediately upon applying a fix.

5. sharpturn

sharpturn Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GT CO (stock settings)
    When I raise my 2D clock speed over 400 the Nvidia temp display shows a decrease in temp of over 10C instantaneously. This bug may actually raise the tempature on some cards, but I know it does not on mine.

6. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    I experienced the same, gradual decrease in idle temp when I applied the fix as well. But oddly, others have reported instant return to idle temps when applying the fix.

Don't figure, but I agree, it must be real based on the above!

7. 6800 NU aren't affected.....this we can agree on somehow.

i know i don't suffer from it....and many other has said that. :)

8. nealh

nealh Member

GPU:
    x1900XT CF @675/800 single card
    my 6800 NU is affected by temp bug in beta 71.84

9. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Master Guru

GPU:
    Power Color LCS 7970
    Not true. Mu 6800 nu is affected by the temp bug. I installed the 71.20's and my 2D temps were raised 10 degrees. I may try the /84's but went back to the 67.03's because of this.

10. mjc

mjc Member

GPU:
    Many both ATI and Nvidia
    Newest cert 71.84 drivers

BFG 5800U increased temps
    Idle old 48C new temps are 54C

So it's not just a BETA bug problem, also it used to say core slowdown threshold was 140 now says 120. All verified with extenal probe as well.

11. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

you dumbass

71.84 are just whql certified 71.84 betas

they were released so the 6200 would have an official driver set to be released with

12. mandms

mandms New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT SLI
    Temp Increase IS REAL!!!

Let me give a little background. I have a PNY Geforce 6800GT with a Zalman VF-700 cooler on it. I am dual-booting Windows XP and Windows 2000. I've been running both operating systems with the 66.93 drivers, and they always reported the exact same idle temps (about 47 degrees).

Wanting to figure out whether or not the temp increase with the 71.84 driver is real or not, I installed them on my Windows 2000 partition. Immediately, I got a 10 degree increase in idle temps to about 56-57 degrees. Well that doesn't really prove anything, since this could be the drivers just reporting a higher temp. So after letting my computer sit idle for a couple minutes, I rebooted into Windows XP, which is still using the 66.93 drivers. Low and behold, the drivers reported a temp of about 54 degrees and slowly started creeping back down to the norm of 47 degrees. I tried this test a couple more times, and it was always consistent.

I don't know about you guys, but I think that's pretty good proof that the temp increases are real. So even though it doesn't affect everyone's card (depending on which model it is), those that are affected are experiencing a real increase in temps.

Nvidia managed to crank up the speed a little but at the cost of higher temps (and at a loss of some missing functionality in the drivers). I think I'll wait for the next release.

13. dragonlord

dragonlord Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    We all know the temp increase is real. It's been clearly and irrefutably proven so by no less than 100 people now. The only people who claim it is not, simply aren't experiencing the bug, so you can dismiss their assertions (old posts) to the contrary.

14. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC (12/5) extra pipes don't work.
    I also report the temp bug. It is in actuality a real temp increase in line with what everyone says about 6-10 degrees or so. I also do not get it on my other system which has an evga 5700ultra. ( I actually get a 3 point increase up from 35 to 38, but that's not a big deal to me) I figured I'd add that here because some people with older cards were reporting higher temps also.

the 6800nu bios is 5.40.02.12.61
    the 5700u bios is 4.36.20.18.01

has anyone compiled a list of which bios versions get it and which dont? is there a pattern yet?

on the up side, I haven't bsod yet with these drivers and I've been putting them through the paces in Republic Commando and JOTR. The 66.93 would crash Republic Commando and these say they fix that, so I needed to update the driver.
    If they burn my card, I'll just call Nvidia. and then call MS for certifying them. someone will get me a new one.

15. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

lol
    MS only whqls on a basis of well it works in windows desktop, give em the stamp

16. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    LoL you kids are funny :)

17. jfolds

jfolds Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 470
    I still have the temp bug on the new whql 71.84's... as with everyone else clocking over 400mhz makes it vanish.

One strange thing to note though, with this new 'official' driver even though i have 2d and 3d clocks in the drivers the only speed the card is running at is the 3d clock settings. Confirmed by riviatuner, the card no longer downshifts to 2d anymore with these drivers even at the windows desktop... 3d speeds the entire time.

Jamie

18. demonmagnet

demonmagnet Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900gT@600/1800
    I read this thread on the temp increase beforehand but desided to give them a go anyway.

66.29 - idle - 58
    66.29 - ambient - 38

71.84- idle - 72
    71.84 - ambient - 45

That a 14c rise:eek:,

im suprised they haven't fixed the problem as it started at 60.** (60.84 or 60.85 i believe), however the next version 61.76 fixed the problem. Now they keep re-introducing the same problem over and over.

When i first encountered the problem in july last year there was nothing in the forums about it :p

19. Winjer

Winjer Member

GPU:
    Radeon X1950 XT 256MB
    When i had 70.20 i didn't have a temp increase.
    now i'm using xg 75.90 and i got a 14c temp increase at idle.
    it's at 54c.
    Damn.

20. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

the not downshifting bug is noted by nvidia driver teams