NVIDIA PR questioned over Temp increase

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Envoy, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Envoy

Envoy Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1070 GTX FTW
    All,

I sent this email to the Desktop PR guy at NVIDIA. lest see if we get a response..

..............................................................................................

"Brian,

Sorry to trouble you, but a great many people in the gaming/forum community are concerned with the way the latest beta drivers 71.81 (and higher including 71.84) reportedly increase GPU core and ambient temps in NVIDIA products. I personally have experienced a reported increase of 10 degrees Celsius (20% increase) in GPU core temps of my 6800GT from 53 to 63 degrees at idle.

Many people are concerned and angry with NVIDIA for not offering an explanation as to why this is happening in the latest release notes. We don’t know if it is genuine or just a bug and many have a concern over potential long term damage to their (expensive) hardware.

As a result cautious people are having to use older drivers in the interim that do not fully support the latest games or optimise performance for our products. Those of us not so cautious are running the risk of damaging hardware if it is a genuine increase. Either way, we are all feeling a bit let down by NVIDIA and their software support and I know some people have defected to ATi.

Please can you provide the official explanation of the increase in temperature phenomenon and make this info freely available in the current release notes for 71.84. If it is a bug then great but please let us know.

If this is not your responsibility I would appreciate it if you could forward it to whoever is responsible. We would love an answer.

Kind regards,

Nick Halliday

2. Cpt00Kirk

Cpt00Kirk Active Member

GPU:
    1x XFX GF 6800GT @ 425/1150 speeds
    Nice!!!

Now lets wait for an answer ..... or NOT!

3. EagleClaw

EagleClaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    Nicley worded and very polite.

I would think you should get some type of a resonse, I can't wait to hear it.

4. Envoy

Envoy Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1070 GTX FTW
    First email response....Have emailed Mr Perez in his absence....(i also crossed out all the phone numbers and emails of his colleagues he has left to prevent some nutter suing me)...

..........................................................................................................................

"I will be OOTO Feb 28 to March 4. I will have limited access to email and voice mail.

Call my Cell if you need to speak with me. xxxxxxx.

For GeForce 6 issues contact Derek Perez. For other issues, please contact one of my PR colleagues:

Thank you.

nvooto"

.................................................................................................

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005

5. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Nick,
    Thats great man. You got an actual response. Please follow up on this and most importantly please post updates if you ever do talk to this gentleman...Thank you man, This is just what I needed to hear today :D:D

6. Splonky

Splonky Active Member

GPU:
    xfx Geforce 6800 512mb
    You actually emailed him to complain about BETA drivers??

THEY ARE BETA!!!

THEY ARE BETA!! It always says use at your own risk.

If they were official release drivers then fine, but you are demanding to know why there is a bug in some beta drivers?

again I say..

THEY ARE BETA.

There is your answer, no need to wait on the PR guy to email you.

7. Envoy

Envoy Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1070 GTX FTW

Well i guess if nobody mentions it or questions them then we'll never get an answer...

Beta or not if they can be bothered to post release notes on www.nvidia.com then i reckon they should be bothered to at least mention the single most important and fundamental difference between these and their previous betas...

I would not have bothered if they were not posted on their own site....

BTW It doesn't hurt to ask and challenge people some time.....and you never know we may just get an answer.

I'll keep all of you up to date on what happens...

8. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    I think you did right in emailing him. At the end of the day, whether these are beta or not, the 71.84 were posted on nVidia's website. Also the release notes did not mention anything about the drivers causing temperature problems in the issues section. If they had noted this, and then said this is to be resolved in a future driver, then I would have been fine. But the fact that nVidia are not even admitting there is a problem wiht temp readings is totally wrong.

9. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    The higher temps are for real!!!
    A guy at NVNews did some external temp testing with various drivers and confirmed up to 10c higher idle temps with the 7x.xx drivers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  10. Envoy

Envoy Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1070 GTX FTW
    Is that an article or in the forum?

11. Web junkie

Web junkie Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X850 XT + Catalyst 5.11
    I thought BETA drivers were provided for BETA TESTING, so you can find any problems with them and report these back to whoever provided them so these can be investigated and hopefully fixed. The fact many BETA drivers are leaked is not the point, the point is if no one speaks up about problems with beta drivers then how are developers supposed to know about these problems so they can fix them in subsequent driver releases?

This forum is one of many sources of 'beta testers' that probably give driver developers the best picture of how their drivers are performing in the real world using real programs/applications and various hardware, should we now all keep quiet and let the developers read our minds?

12. Dick_Biggles

Dick_Biggles Active Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 128mb
    The answer to this question intrests me so much, I had to join the forum

13. Splonky

Splonky Active Member

GPU:
    xfx Geforce 6800 512mb
    Maybe it isn't a problem? I mean ya the temp is higher but are card burning up?? Maybe it doesn't matter if they run hotter.

If NVIDIA replies that is great, but I think this is being made into a bigger deal than it is.

14. Fulgore04

Fulgore04 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 980 Strix
    True, it's still in the greenzone for me while idling and in fulload so i'm not worried, it sure would be nice to know what's going on tho!

15. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Beta or not, this problem may be inherent in the next "Official" release. KUDOS to Nick Halliday for doing instead of complaining.

16. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    Really...?? I give Nick credit for at least Having some Balls to at least ASK. It never hurts

17. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

yeah

POWER TO THE PEOPLE [​IMG]

18. EagleClaw

EagleClaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    I agree 100%

He asked a simple yet important question that many people including myself have been wondering about.

I for one think the temp rise is real as my case temps also rise.

If I'm wrong or not it doesn't matter the question should be answered.

We are helping beta test after all so I don't think it's to much to ask.

thanks again for posting...

19. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    I just visited the Nvidia forum and wouldn't you know it, the most popular driver thread there relates to this very subject. We all have to keep in mind that these are beta drivers!. Secondly, I would have to assume that the driver guru's at Nvidia check their own forum on a routine basis. Therefore, it would probably be safe to assume that Nvidia is well aware of the temp increase associated with these latest beta drivers. If we don't like it, we always have the option of switching to an earlier driver that doesn't cause a temp increase. That's what I love about this country, we have choices!!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  20. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

and lets all get back to earth

NVIDIA!!!
    GIVE US ANSWERS OR A KITTEN GETS IT!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005