Gfrad v11.20|NVIDIA Power Management v3.12 (554.72) - Define Power Limit for Each Game

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Macer, Apr 22, 2023.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    99% of the time Trojan:Script/Wacatac.H!ml is a false positive.

2. Macer

Macer Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    NVIDIA Power Management updated to v2.2
    > Added import & save settings.
    > Added Adaptive VRAM Clock Control.
    > Added NVIDIA SMI Command.

Adaptive VRAM Clock Control

Adaptive VRAM Clock. App whitelist, automatically adjusts minimum VRAM Clock to prevent GPU into the deep power saving.

[​IMG]

fluidz and Cave Waverider like this.
  3. Calenhad

Calenhad Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 3080ti Suprim X
    Fwiw v2.2 is not flagged by Windows Defender anymore

4. Macer

Macer Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    NVIDIA Power Management updated to v2.5 (20230427)
    Release Notes

v2.5
    > Added Power Limit Profile Management (NVPL Profile) Feature.
    > Added NVIDIA GPU Performance State Monitor.
    > Improve NVIDIA Container performance.

fluidz and Blackfyre like this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I am curious what do you mean by that? What exactly NVIDIA Container does?

6. Glen-Tidbury

Glen-Tidbury Guest

GPU:
    msi ventus 2x 3070
    curious....when this limits the power, is this the same as using the power limit feature on afterburner?

I'm asking because on my gigabyte 12gb gaming oc 3080ti card, which only has 2x8pin power, the power limit is something like 370W....but I notice on GPU-Z that when playing games or running benchmarks, the core speed drops significantly from it's max of around 2025Mhz, down to say 1700 or less at times....and the reason reported is "power limit".

I've never really found any undervolt setting to avoid this....unless I go below 825mv AND choose a low frequency anyway, like 1700ish....at which point, might as well keep stock and let it boost when it does and come down when it doesn't.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is.....if this program can limit the power draw, whilst the card itself still 'thinks' it's got the 370W power limit? This way if I set this program to, say 320W, it would never hit it's limit of 370 and therefore shouldn't start throttling down?

Temps have never been an issue on this card, never really see it go north of 64C, so I feel like there's definitely thermal headroom.

So could this work the way I'm thinking? and then I could use it in conjunction with afterburner to set a decent undervolt and just maintain a steady speed of something around 1900Mhz constant instead of always throttling down?

7. Sh1nTa0h

Sh1nTa0h Active Member

GPU:
    Tuf 3080
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    fluidz likes this.
  8. klunka

klunka Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti / 11gb
    @Macer
    I get " No supported GPU devices found"
    I'm on 1080ti and an old driver....

9. berkut

berkut Guest

GPU:
    3070GigabyteEagleOC
    On SMI tab with command "List GPU Performance State" - i see only P0 state
    NVPMM.png

So, my GPU (3070 Gigabyte Eagle OC) can't change p-states, in idle mode i see maximum clocks on core and memory
    My previous GPU, 1060 3GB from MSI (Gaming X) - can do it

How can i apply/use this functionality on my new GPU ?

10. Macer

Macer Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    My English is not that good. English isn't my native language.

This tool is designed for myself. Mainly does not require frequent use of command to call the nvidia-smi by myself. My graphics card is ASUS ROG RTX 4090. Bought from store on 10/12/2022. I always prefer to use it with lower power. Because the lower power is enough for me. This tool is compiled using VS.net. This is not More Power Tool. So it cannot unlock exceed Max Power Limit. Max & Min Power range depends on your graphics card VBIOS.

Example. My card is ASUS ROG RTX 4090. You can use GPU-Z to get VBIOS Power Limit info. or use nvidia-smi command to get VBIOS Power Limit info.

[​IMG]

Power Limit Info:
    <ASUS ROG RTX 4090 Default>
    Enforced Power Limit: 500 w //Default maximum power limit. Adjusting power limit with the AB or PMM tool will affect this value.
    Max Power Limit: 600 w //Maximum Power Limit. The maximum power limit supported by the graphics card.
    Min Power Limit: 150 w //Minimum Power Limit. The minimum power limit supported by the graphics card.

You cannot set higher than Max Power Limit and lower than Min Power Limit. Incorrect value ranges cannot be applied.

Create a Power Limit Profile

You can define power limit for your application on the NVIDIA Power Management. After the NVPL Profile setting is complete, you can close this application. Requires PMM Service Scheduler to be installed. Will automatically detect the application in the background service and apply the power limit.

My Global Power Limit: 250 w

wow.exe;150
    sottr.exe;285
    re4.exe;225
    cyberpunk2077.exe;328
    dead space.exe;270
    forzahorizon5.exe;262
    acvalhalla.exe;215
    acvalhalla_plus.exe;215
    tlou-i.exe;273
    tlou-i-l.exe;273
    tll.exe;220
    tll-l.exe;220
    u4.exe;220
    u4-l.exe;220
    acorigins.exe;225
    acodyssey.exe;225
    jedisurvivor.exe;268
    bf2042.exe;280
    bf2042trial.exe;280
    cod.exe;280
    dyinglightgame_x64_rwdi.exe;285
    forzahorizon4.exe;268
    diablo iii64.exe;200
    farcry6.exe;272
    rdr2.exe;268
    playrdr2.exe;268
    watchdogslegion.exe;320
    watchdogslegion_be.exe;320
    3dmarkamdfsr.exe;500
    3dmarkdxrfeaturetest.exe;500
    3dmarkicfworkload.exe;500
    3dmarkicfdemo.exe;500
    3dmarkintelxess.exe;500
    3dmarkmsfeaturetest.exe;500
    3dmarknightraid.exe;500
    3dmarknvidiadlss.exe;500
    3dmarknvidiadlss2.exe;500
    3dmarknvidiadlss3.exe;500
    3dmarkpciexpress.exe;500
    3dmarkportroyal.exe;500
    3dmarksamplerfeedbackfeaturetest.exe;500
    3dmarkspeedway.exe;500
    3dmarktimespy.exe;500
    3dmarkvrsfeaturetesttier1.exe;500
    3dmarkvrsfeaturetesttier2.exe;500
    3dmarkwildlife.exe;500
    3dmarkwildlifeextreme.exe;500
    pcmark10.exe;500
    stray.exe;188
    milesmorales.exe;245
    spider-man.exe;245

The defined Power Limit range must be between Max and Min Power Limit.
    Some games don't require much Power. Like Valhalla only requires 215 w on 4K Ultra. // FPS 115+

[​IMG]

The AB tool to take charge adjusting the GPU core voltage, and the PMM tool to take charge the power limit.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    fluidz and chinobino like this.

11. LuxZg

LuxZg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4890
    I'll follow this, as development seems to progress quite fast.

Btw a suggestion - add link to this thread in the sourceforge description.

As someone mentioned wccftech posted this, so did Tom's hardware, and this morning you have 20 other lesser tech sites and blogs parroting the news in ~10 languages. Most just point to sourceforge (because guru3d is competition?) so finding this thread and this valuable additional information isn't easy.

Thanks for the tool and good luck with development!

fluidz likes this.
  12. Glen-Tidbury

Glen-Tidbury Guest

GPU:
    msi ventus 2x 3070
    thank you.

I wasn't expecting to raise the limit above what is on the VBIOS.

I guess another way to ask my question:-

If I limit my card to 250W, like yours, will GPU-Z still display the performance cap reason as PWR because it'll be constantly at 250W? or will the card only be using 250W whilst still thinking it has a limit of 370W and therefore NOT have a performance cap reason of PWR (instead it will say idle).

I'm just wondering, because if the tool literally just reduces the power limit, what sets it apart from afterburner? I could just set a power limit of 68% in afterburner and it would also not exceed 252W?

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    According to what he is saying it does it the same ways as AB, so for test you could set 250w limit in AB and see the effects. Pretty sure you will still get PWR cap.
    This tools advantage is power limits per application, so you can have different limits per group and link programs to it, plus the tool can alter Pstats of memory.

The closest you can do in MSI AB is set up 2d and 3d profiles with different power limits or you got 5 profiles but link to hotkeys.

What I am curious is if he set a FPS cap limit how close would it be to the power limit? For example if he limited Valhalla to 120 fps cap what would power usage show compared to power limiting.

Edit: to answer my own question, I just tested in Heven with a fps cap of 110 and a power limit of 50% on my 3060ti (max power =200 default/216 max).
    With the fps cap GPU freq stays max 1900 and power jumps all around from like 120-175w.
    With power limit at 50% the freq drops to like 1300-1400 range and fps goes up and down a bit 100-140 depending on the scene.
    And PWR cap is of course the limit.

So I can see this tool being useful on high end cards instead of just a fps cap.

chinobino likes this.
  14. Glen-Tidbury

Glen-Tidbury Guest

GPU:
    msi ventus 2x 3070
    So, just so I am understanding your test correctly.

Test 1 - fps cap at 110, but no power limit at all = 1900mhz and around 120-175W

Test 2 - no fps cap, but using this tool to limit power by 50% = 1300-1400mhz and power will be max of around 100W but fps still around 100-140ish.

For test 2 you could use this tool, or just set 50% in afterburner, same results.

The benefit of this tool is being able to set different power limit per application... so that you can work out manually actually how much power you really need to get the fps you are aiming for and let the power determine how many as frames you can get, rather than actually setting a limit.

Have I got that right?

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You have it right in tests except I didn't use the tool as I set limits globally and used RTSS for fps limit, AB on power limit.
    Since the author states he is using Nvidia core to do all settings, this is mainly GUI for it plus extra so it loads when system boots.

Why not just try it yourself?

Again, the tool is just setting the power limit per group so you can link programs to a limit.

The limit and how its used by the card depends on the bios (min, max) so also GPU-Z will show PWR cap when using tool with a big limit.

PS: I guess I should of said I was not testing this tool but more the difference between fps cap and power limiting, as I never tried to power limit before (I am trying to get the most power in all cards I have owned)
    But the overview is power limit will lower the clock rate and along with voltage to get a lower power level. A FPS cap might lower power a little but because freq stays same so does voltage. so it works differently.

16. lawood

lawood Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    This a very good tool.

Actually fixed all dpc problems on the newer drivers. I just put the vram clock frequency to min of 5000 when system.exe it's running, so it's always at 5k. My dpc readings never go above 200 now...

And it has many other uses, you can create rules for power limits, rules for vram clock frequency, amazing tool.

If you are seeing weird dpc readings with your nvidia driver you need to try this asap. Just create a rule for min vram frequency and you're set! System.exe if you want it running all the time.

Thank so much for sharing this with us!

I didn't even check yet, but does it re-apply on restart? If it doesn't, I dont even care, just 2 steps.

Edit:

And just tested, the default vram clock speed it's 405mhz, that's the source of dpc spikes, 5000 it's overkill, even creating a rule to run the vram at 805mhz solves the DPC spikes and increases consumption 3 watts. Nvidia can figure this out, i'm sure.

So now I'm using 805 instead of 5000 (increases consumption by 15 watts) and this 100% solves the weird dpc readings and I can swear videos load faster now on edge and such.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    fluidz and joe187 like this.
  17. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Pretty nice, Windows defender didn't give me any warnings (well other then that nonsense unknown app nonsense which i just bypass) at least as of today when i installed, and working well on Windows 11 22H2 and nvidia 531.26.

Running alongside Afterburner because fans!, havent seen any issues they seem to work fine together. Nice tool.

Edit: also it does apply on restart for me, just have to use the "install" button, it installs it as a service called "NVPMMLoader", seems to use a constant around 15mb ram that way, not so bad.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
  18. Glen-Tidbury

Glen-Tidbury Guest

GPU:
    msi ventus 2x 3070
    forgive my ignorance....what are dpc spikes and how do you tell if they are an issue on your system/what issues do they cause?

19. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070
    The leading cause for stutters and latency issues within Windows. If you're noticing stutters, use Latencymon to check for the root cause. DPC latency is the measurement used.
    Is this different to just setting high performance mode in NVCP?

20. lawood

lawood Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    max perf on nvcp consumes much more power.