Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vidik, Oct 15, 2015.

1. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Notice it says 'Game Ready Drivers' will be locked to geforce experience. It said nothing about locking WHQL drivers. So ignore the game ready drivers and wait for the WHQL ones to be released on the nvidia website as usual.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Think nvidia is testing the waters with this and back down, kinda like how mobile gpu overclocking was in there by "mistake" and they just corrected it, got a big backlash and they enabled molige gpu oc again. No freaking way I am going to downgrade my video cards and go with the other brand over something like this.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I did not read the article, but what will prevent me to install GFE when new driver arrived - install just to install new drivers - and remove it after new drivers are installed.

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Thats half the reason Im ditching my 970s.
    I have had more problems with nvidia in the past 3 weeks then the last 5 years of AMD.

Ive had HD 5770 crossfire, HD 7850 crossfire, HD 7950 crossfire and R9 290.
    I just wanted to try something different. Had a few issues with my 670 sli when Win 10 came out.

Going R9 290 crossfire. 970s suck in high resolution and nvidias surround setup and support is a damn joke.

5. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I wouldn't actually mind an automatic and seamless driver update system, but not through bloatware.

6. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    So how are they going to prevent people from installing the drivers like they have been doing for years?

7. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Guess I'll be experiencing an AMD card when I look to upgrade then.

8. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Well NVIDIA...you just went full retard.

9. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLi
    “On the other side of the equation you have enthusiast gamers, who get excited about preloading a game, who want to play a game the day it comes out with all the bells and whistles,” Pelletier continued. “That’s obviously the demographic we’re looking at for Game Ready drivers. We’re targeting GFE as a single-source destination for those gamers.”

Not sure if serious..

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

enthusiasts sure love when an app tells them what settings to use.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I'm all in favor of torrenting drivers!

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Nothing I guess. It's just that you'll have to do this **** to update to beta/point releases. Which makes no sense as these releases are usually for the people who know what they'd like to install and how.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I personally don't see the issue. I've never had problems with Experience and I use it for Shadowplay + game streaming to my Shield. They already said 90% of installs are through GFE anyway so for 90% of Nvidia owners it will have zero effect on them. They obviously want to build an ecosystem around their hardware and this is really the only way they can do that, seems fine to me.

14. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I get some people think in extremes and all, but if you really think GFE is bloatware, I'd hate to see what some of you people think about ACTUAL bloatware.

At best, it's just a program you don't like. It isn't full of ads. It isn't full of much of anything, really.

(I still think requiring it is stupid, though.)

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If that is the case then it really is a non issue.

Saying that, i don't agree with them forcing people to use something and the heavy handed way usually doesn't go down well when it comes to keeping or attracting new customers, though it's possible Nvidia have anticipated this and are banking on GFE bringing in alot more new PC gamers to compensate for the relatively small amount of people they may lose.

I use and life GFE myself, but i have never used it for driver updates, so at least Nvidia will save money on traffic.

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Windows is bloatware, but you may turn off most of the useless crap anyways, services, cloud storage, apps, telemetry and hack the registry as you please.

17. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    It IS bloatware though:

[​IMG]

Harmless program that just happen to data mine your PC and phone home. Hell it's even in GFE EULA.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That is what would be considered bloatware in 1999 though, not these days.

Steam is the biggest example of gaming bloatware there is at the moment, it was also forced upon people when not everyone wanted it, yet nowadays people go out their way to use it, even when they don't need to.

I doubt Nvidia care that some people will be pissed over at the outset, likely playing the long game.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Let's see how I feel about this:

1. I'm already registered at the Geforce forums and the developers zone
    2. Nvidia already has my e-mail
    3. How is this going to affect me?
    4. Not much it seems as Nvidia already has my e-mail
    5. Can I still get drivers without Geforce Experience?
    6. Yes, as this only affects day one game ready drivers
    7. Do I care?
    8. Not really. No.
    9. Even if I ran Geforce Experience I have enough ram where having it on isn't a problem. In the past when I have tried it with less ram it still wasn't an issue.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  20. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    So the fact that most popular commercial software have this sort of crap makes it OK for a DRIVER to require software that sends data to nvidia which is later shared with third parties? Don't be ridiculous, you're starting to sound like those "I have nothing to hide" people.

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/faq

Q: What data does GeForce Experience send to NVIDIA?
    A: The application collects data needed to recommend the correct driver update and optimal settings including hardware configuration, operating system, language, installed games, game settings, game usage, game performance, and current driver version. If a user is not signed into an NVIDIA account, this data is not personally identifiable. If a user is signed into an NVIDIA account, the data is personally identifiable. All data collected is protected by NVIDIA's privacy policy.

Q: Does NVIDIA share data collected by GeForce Experience outside the company?
    A: NVIDIA may share aggregate-level data with select partners, but does not share user level data. GeForce Experience does not share any personally identifiable information outside the company.