Nvidia Physx deprecatated in UE 5.0

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by WhiteLightning, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i've long since LAA patched my BL2 exe.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Gaming X UV
    That may help, but won't solve that particular issue. It's much more pronounced in Wine than on native Windows though.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    There is a difference between what PhysX was and what it is now with it being implemented into game engines and moving away from GPU to CPU with AVX2. There is also a difference between how each game uses it, some just used fluid simulation, some just cloth, some just rigid body, some just particles, etc, etc. The version of PhysX within UE or even with Unity is probably so far removed from past iterations that noticing it by anyone would be hard and most games don't simply smash you in the face with it like older games like Borderlands 2 did with its very out of place use of physX.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AVX2 isn't used in physx at all

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    This form of PhysX died long ago, remember what the OP is. Do you think "deprecated in UE 5.0" is referring to GPU accelerated PhsyX? How could you possibly think that after what I just said?

6. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 1080GTX
    Hey,, you can still use it I think. using SuperDepth3D Reshade Shader.

I have LG OLED E6 3D TV, I use Reshade + SuperDepth3D for Line Interlaced and Top&buttom, you have all the options to choose. I play almost every game in 3D.

7. I always was impressed with & admired what Volition did in their implementation of Havok with a nearly fully destructive sandbox in the Red Faction series.

BlindBison and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  8. Vexar

Vexar New Member

GPU:
    2070S
    Reason for the switch is make it more independent for console use which is based around AMD hardware. Epic wants the engine to run on all hardware AMD and Intel and NVidia and not hope some other company fixes a bug or makes an update that forces them to do more work. This way they control it. It will be slow though I don't expect it to be as solid for a year or so but it puts Epic and the engine in a better spot long term.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nothing to do with it, physx on consoles is the same cpu physx that runs on amd and intel cpu's.

10. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    A related question, since I've always had PhysX set to its recommended setting ("auto-select").

On a 3900X/2080 Ti system, would it be better to change that setting and force it to either GPU or CPU?

BlindBison likes this.

11. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    I suggest to set it to GPU as some games that require GPU PhysX won't work with it set to Auto-select. Games that only use CPU PhysX will use the CPU regardless.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    EeK likes this.
  12. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    The future is probably going to be "approximate" physics based on machine learning:

Noisiv and BlindBison like this.
  13. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    PhysX was used far more then people assume, even on handhelds and PS2

14. Vexar

Vexar New Member

GPU:
    2070S
    Last time I tested it it was around 10-20% slower then GPU accelerated on AMD / Intel CPU's. Did you test it recently?

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there are various cpu only physx functions and nobody was talking about gpu physx in this context in any case.

16. Vexar

Vexar New Member

GPU:
    2070S
    What? The point of Epic creating their own system is so that it will run as well on CPU or GPU no matter the brand. That isn't the case with PhysX right now or will it ever be in the interests of Nvidia to make it that way. I can ask Nvidia right now if you want, I know a bunch of them. Just admit you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  17. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Tencent is as rich as the biggest American corporation. Jealously will not save the world. America is a saint, China is the Satan.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    And the cpu physx in unreal engine is high performance and runs across allt platforms just fine

are you even trying to keep up or just crap talk a sdk you know nothing about?

19. Vexar

Vexar New Member

GPU:
    2070S
    "Running Fine" is an opinion it is 10-20% slower on CPU depending on the features of physx engine being used. Do a test and get back to me.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just crap talking stuff you know nothing about.