NVIDIA overclocking,tweaking and cooling....All info you need.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by funkymonkey, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    @fantaskarsef
    No problem. My last Nvidia gpu was a gtx 470, after that i switched to AMD and now back with Nvidia, so im kinda lost on how the new stuff works. Any insigth is helpfull =)

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Oh don't worry about it, things change in some ways from year to year, like BIOS flashing / modding between Maxwell and Pascal for instance. That's why I am here, to keep myself up to date as good as possible hehe

Extraordinary likes this.
  3. Barabaro

Barabaro New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hello,
    Very nice post. i am new to overclocking hardware. So this is very usefull.
    I do have a qouple questions to.
    If i overclock my GPU will it last? or will the overclocking be undone after i pull out the GPU from the socket.
    I have 6 GPU`s on 1 motherbord. is it possible that i overclock them all at once?

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    If your running that amount of cards, i wouldn't recommend it.
    Will increase power draw by a lot, and heat will go up too.

5. vurt

vurt Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix OC
    With Afterburner i see some people mentioning "Power limit", i have no such option.. quite sure i had that with the 980ti, but its not visible now with 1080ti.

Not sure what it is or if i need to use it.. currently i use +295 on mem and +100 on core. more than 295 on memory and performance drops.

[​IMG]

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    Because your running an older version,or didnt switch to the newer skin.
    Your settings are for gtx600 chip and below.

vurt likes this.
  7. vurt

vurt Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix OC
    Ah, i had some skin that for some reason didn't show all settings. Thanks.

8. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    whats the difference between setting vcore and some tools also have a core offset value?
    (nevermind figured this out while having the new card here now, its the same thing)

also on pascal, lowering power target + upping clock = automatic undervolt, or am i confused?

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  9. Colin MacLaren

Colin MacLaren Member

GPU:
    MSI GF4 Ti-4200 64MB
    Hi,

I just bought this Laptop:

Asus ROG G702VI.
    i7 7700HQ
    GTX 1080

I am aiming for a slight overclock/undervolting solution in orer to keep temps down and performance on a comparable level to a Desktop GTX 1080.

However, something weird is happening.

If I don't change anything, clock rates a jumping roughly between 1.600 and 1.800 Mhz, Voltabe between 0.8V and 0,96V.
    If I set a flat curve of 1835 MHz@0,8250V and run some benchmarks, the core clock stays rock stable at said 1835 MHz.

However, despite the higher clock rates Performance is worse in Heaven, UserBenchmark and 3DMark.

How is this possible?

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ♥ MESA 21.1
    I know there are no "stupid questions", but bear with me, please, I've been out of the loop since I replaced my GTX 760 two years ago.

Has there been much change in terms of overclocking, software and driver reliability since I last had my graphics card or can I expect the same level of quality?

I loved that card and the only reason for me replacing it with my current AMD graphics card was because I accidentally shorted my whole computer while racing and it was on sale before the minecraze.

Also it was already showing it's age back then in newer fps titles (none of which I play any longer due to lack of interest) and I had to get ready for PC2, which I rarely play nowadays...

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Depends on the GPU model doesn't it? Pascal uses Boost 3.0 which can hit up to 2.0 - 2.1 Ghz reliably as long as the thermal and power limits aren't reached and then you can use software such as MSI Afterburner to fine tune voltage and the clock speed via offsets as long as you keep it stable which well every GPU is going to be different so it's basically down to lots of testing and ideally different games and benchmark apps so to stress the GPU under multiple situations whether it's VRAM, core, voltage and temperature and then there's differences in GPU load depending on shaders or geometry and more so it's the usual with testing and avoiding driver crashes in one game only to maybe run into something in another title or even the web browser if hardware acceleration is enabled. :)

For AMD well Vega has a similar boost system but the defaults are well they're kinda extreme so the cards instead benefit from reducing voltage and testing that for stability to also reduce thermals and power consumption down from some 300w to 220w or lower depending on GPU since once again every one of them will differ just slightly so overall results will also vary and it's down to a lot of testing.

And then Polaris and earlier use the standard system but can still benefit from fine tuning the voltage and clock speeds a little bit though the third party models are already pretty close to peak.
    Don't know too much about NVIDIA's earlier GPU's myself and how these worked although I assume it's similar though traditionally they've had more overclocking headroom which is reflected by the third party models having more varied clock speeds.

Software wise I don't think it's changed much really, Afterburner or EVGA Precision and what not using various offsets to add to the clock speed or voltage and then defaulting if the GPU crashes I believe it's how that's handled.
    (Should be harmless enough if you don't go too hard on the voltage values, there's bios editing as well but I'd be more careful with that even if modern GPU's have dual bios slots making it less prone to bricking the card entirely.)

RzrTrek likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Known issues and fixed issues are also worth keeping track of although older issues can occasionally disappear from the release notes even if they still apply, user reports and opinions and feedback on new drivers might also help for checking how stable or reliable they are even if the release notes don't outright mention a crash in game X or game Y no longer crashing. :)

Which yeah the driver release notes for both AMD and NVIDIA is just a few of the code changes so there's usually more in there whether it's changes to software or additional software or upcoming game profiles being added early and tweaks to existing profiles, NV Inspector I think can allow for checking this out in more detail for NVIDIA GPU's too.
    (And overriding profile flags and behaviors for improving compatibility with certain things whether it's SLI, ambient occlusion or super sampling overrides.)

EDIT: As for overall performance well NVIDIA still has the lead here with the base 1080Ti still being a good bit faster (20% or higher I think, perhaps even closer to 30% or more.) compared to AMD's direct competing GPU which well the Vega64 is aiming at the 1080 non-Ti but if pricing isn't a concern it's an obvious pick just for being so fast although if the 1100 series isn't too far out that might be worth keeping track of but it seems kinda uncertain as to when those will be revealed or any info at all really.

Though that might also see prices slashed further for the 1060, 1070(ti) and 1080(ti) GPU's.

EDIT: And yeah occasionally the game or software is just unstable and the driver has to work around some issue so it might be entirely unrelated to the overclock, also affects testing a bit so it's good to know if there's any particular issues with some games. :)
    (Guessing a good bit of the code in the display driver for both AMD and NVIDIA is just dedicated to fixes and profiles adding stability or improving performance.)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    RzrTrek likes this.
  13. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 SUPER
    The reason is because the voltage is to low.
    if The voltage is to low for some reason your card is not using all cores. There was some guy on youtube who hit this problen on desktop card and he is trying to explain this phenomenon.
    I will later send you private message and i will try to help you.
    I had the same problem when tried OC and undervolt my gtx1060 in my laptop. same procesor but I own MSI GE72VR.

After tweaking The curve I OCed inż undervolted my gtx1060 quite good. in FireStrike I had around 11k in graphic score and now I am hitting around 13.5k in graphic score with preety good temps.
    I will give you also my 7700HQ undervolt settings