Nvidia or ATI ? No war please ...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by IchimA, Dec 19, 2011.

1. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    So , after all this years I need to change my video card. The new ATI should come in less then a month but. I will like to maybe go back to Nvidia. Is Physx worth it ? As I said I will be waiting for Ati new cards and see the performance and price. BUT think at this scenario :
    1. ATI realease new 7***
    2. Wait for price to drop and drivers to be good ( 2 - 3 months )
    3. Nvidia release 6** or 7** ( I think that if Nvidia go for the 7** naming it just to confuse buyers. ATI 7*** or Nvidia 7** )
    4. When Nvidia will release nex gen Ati should have it's refresh line already.
    As far as we know Nvidia may or may not be better.

So what will you quys to in my place ?
    1. Buy on 9.01.2012 - 30.01.2012
    2. Wait nvidia
    3. go for an older product IF performance jump is not as big as wanted ?

Danke

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    For me it's pretty simple. Wait and see how next amd cards perform and pricing then decide if you can wait for nvidia's new batch of cards and if you need a gpu then and there, make an informed decision on whats available.

You never know getting something like a 560 ti over new generation amd might still be a better move.

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I believe you should wait on the next AMD release and then have a look at your options.

4. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    W8 for all the options yes if it is not burning under the feet;)

5. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    It's a little fire down under with this 4850. I haven''t had Nvidia from 8800 era and this 4850 served me well ... but , no dx11 , and I am biased on Nvidia or Ati. Whatever is better perf for my wallet. The image AI is almost the same for me and 3D right now is just marketing for me as I have glasses. And the quality for me is just not there

6. stewiemcpain

stewiemcpain Member Guru

GPU:
    Gts 250 1GB@864/1170/1900
    This, really.

7. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    Ya but if I go with a 560 ti , the new ATI will devour it and spit it to hell and back. ( theoretical speaking )

8. stewiemcpain

stewiemcpain Member Guru

GPU:
    Gts 250 1GB@864/1170/1900
    It´s possible. What you must do without question is wait for amd 7000 series, thats the important thing since its just around the corner. Then buy something that suits your needs and dont be wondering forever or you will never buy a new gpu.

9. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    ya , thats why my 4850 is way pass it's age time !

10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Me personally I have been holding onto my 5870 waiting for the 7xxx series. I will prolly wait it out a little longer until the new NV cards come out because then at least there will be some competitive pricing(I hope)
    Your getting a little long in the tooth with with 4850 so I understand your itch to upgrade. But I would still just wait it out a little longer.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    May as well wait, see what AMD's 7 series brings, as they are only 3 days away now. :)

12. head

head Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    I'm in the same situation but I will wait and see how the 7xxx series perform and how much they cost, because i don't want to spend 400euro on a grafic card.

head

13. Ali-K

Ali-K Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    This ATi vs nVIDIA is like any good versus evil or in reverse... See its just videocards and you want MAX FPS so you want to go for the best experience, the smoother experience so what does that means eventually is that we as people should go out more or drink more and think even morer...er... I for one would prefer nVIDIA since the last time their drivers suck was in dinosaurs age but you might aswell go for ATi if you care about lower price and latest advances in technology. My take is: If it is faster show ME better FPS! If not don't bother. Final line: None of the 2 above pay me to feel better/have better gaming etc. So you might aswell go for the fastest. "100 yards fences" as they say in "Romania". Cheers and have a good one.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I concur.

You will always be waiting for the next "big" thing and in the end never buy anything. The AMD release is in January, see how they perform and decide then on what to buy and not some paper Nvidia release in the far future.

As for the Nvidia vs. AMD argument, they are both winners. Both make great cards, and the drivers are nearly equal all things considered (with an extremely slight edge to Nvidia), so buy on price and performance.