Nvidia or ATi?! BE HONEST!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Revolution890, Apr 2, 2006.

?

What is a better graphics card for gaming, Nvidia or ATi?

1. Nvidia

69.2%
  2. ATi

30.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    About Nvidia's IQ.... As I have stated before, I currently own and use a 6800GT pci-e. Now, I have currently done some very minor *tweaking* (if that's what you want to call it), in order to get better IQ. I have adjusted digital vibrance, image sharpening, contrast, brightness, etc. I have used these settings for about 2 weeks now, and I must say that after clicking the *defaults* button, the IQ looked like crap! NVIDIA'S DEFAULT IQ SETTINGS MAKE THE IMAGE BLURRY AND DULL!!! DO NOT ARGUE AGAINST THIS! UTTER CRAP!

Ahh... now that I said this, I must add that all Nvidia users, please get familiar with the color correction tab on your driver control panel! I can't believe that I have had this video card for 9 months, and I only started to realize its true potential (IQ-wise) 2 weeks ago...

The settings I currently use in the color correction tab:
    -Digital vibrance slider at just before the "low" line.
    -Brightness 94%
    -Contrast 102%
    -Gamma 1,00
    -Image sharpening: The smallest notch you can possibly make to the right. (Even that makes a huge difference).
    And I put "all" to "Apply color changes to:"

I sincerely hope that all Nvidia users at least try this, because you don't know what you're missing out on... :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  2. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Arzek I tried it and my eye hurt,especially when reading text. In gaming it gets worse,everything is very dark. Default is better,much better

3. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    I think results may vary depending on how you have your monitor set up. I for one know that I adjust gamma and brigthness via the monitor as opposed to the gfx control panel.

4. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    I think so too...but the default is good enough for me

5. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Well that's the thing. IQ is hard to measure, especially if you have a poor quality or older monitor. I know on mine, I have the brightness control on my screen maxed out but it's still way too dark. I have to adjust it from the gfx panel too.

@WildStyle
    Is that a hint of fanboyism I detect? :D

With me, I don't doubt the IQ and speed of ATI cards. It's the construction of the card that's of a lower quality. Built of cheap parts but charge a premium price.
    For nVidia cards, I find they're very well made. (With the exception of the poorly thought out FX series. Although the same can be said for ATI's X series.) Image problems are likely a result of a bad driver, failing to install a driver properly, or going a bit nuts on the OC.

6. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Nope, I'm completely impartial. I switch between both brands on a regular basis.

What I do get sick of however is the fanboyism of others. I know for a fact there are people in this thread who bash ATI, yet they are only going on what they have heard, because they have, in fact, never owned an ATI card themselves. That's why threads like this are useless, because you get people like that.

7. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    before i got this nVidia card... i had only ATI and they all rocked just that i like the performance on nVidia now and will be getting a 7900GT maybe soon or in 2-3 weeks when i get my next paycheck..!

8. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb

The boards are made of the same quality altough the x series are a bit more advanced. They have instead of the manhatten architecture the x architecture in the fourth and fifth metal layer. The cooler depends on the company. ATI's cooler may not look as good as coolers from sapphire or asus or something.

9. frankie123

frankie123 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX
    i would say nvidia for now since they are cheaper and meets the critirea for what i m lookin for. ATI is good with alot of features e.g VIVO that nvidia doesnt haf but if nvidia has the cards that are best bang of my buck

i m canadian but i m still goin for nvidia for now

ATI should really get some nice midrange cards out

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    lol...kids these days, well i've had nvidia since tnt days, ever since 5 series i have watched ati kick its @zz on average every single time, even the newest ones knocks out nv in oblivion tests...apparantly fanboyism is a mental disease, nvidia cant even get hdr+aa right cuz they think its too hard...ati just has better engineers and overall their cards are better for gaming

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I guess you can really comment in these threads unless you use or have used both. I may warm up to getting an ATI card if they improve their quality. As Frankie123 said, their mid-range cards are an absolute joke. Looking at some of the charts on Tom's, my lowly vanilly 6600 spanks their entire mid-range line in real world game performance. They seem to do far better in 3dMark05 though, which leads me to belive that the cards are being built with benchmarking in mind. With the exception of the X1800XT, people are better off buying an nVidia card right now.
    The reason why nVidia remains popular is that they build solid, well balanced GPUs that do well in DirectX and OpenGL, and they offer a broader range of cards across the price specturm. ATI tends to put more effort into the high end and are often more expensive.

12. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Let's not forget that the X1900XTX kicks the 7900GTX's butt in most games. Especially in shader-intensive games. Having said that, I do believe that Nvidia is better all in all, but I truly have developed a soft-spot for the X1900 series of ATI's offerings. The Oblivion benchmarks speak for themselves, and since ATI's Direct3D performance is a little bit better than Nvidia's, I would probably take an X1900XT/X instead of a 7900GTX. Especially since future games will rely more and more on the direct3D renderer, and not openGL. Anyways, if ATI really does release its X1900 series of video cards made in 80nm, I'll probably grab a single-slot cooled X1950XT. It's just stupid to buy an inferior Nvidia for the same price (although the previous is only a rumour).

13. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
  14. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    I''ll bet I owned more hardware than you including ati.

15. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    Way to go trying to start a pissing contest with a mod :rolleyes:

16. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    I`m 40 and before 3dfx i have been using ati.
    but nvidia replaced 3dfx and i still go with nvidia mostley.

17. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    That comment wasn't aimed at you, so by reacting like that, I can only assume you're admitting to being a fanboy. :thumbup:

18. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    I'm not voting in this poll, reason being, I use and enjoy both ATi and Nvidia cards.

19. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    i didnt know they made a Dual 7800GTX...?

i know about the Dual Asus 7800GT , Gigabyte Dual 6600 6600GT and 6800GT 512MB thats it

20. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    I didn't know he was a mod and even if I did that wouldn't change anything. If they don't want me posting here, they can let me know...

You said and I quote...

"
    "

...so I only can assume you meant all the people involved in this thread that support/use Nvidia. I'm just letting you know, anything I say/said I base it on my own experience(s). I change hardware like some people change socks. Today I'll buy any brand of hardware except ati and via. Those two I won't touch for a while if ever. Why? Beacuse they are pain in the rear.

PS
    I'm gonna overlook your "fanboy" comment. If you're a mod, you should be setting an example and not calling people fanboys.

Good day.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.