Nvidia or ATi?! BE HONEST!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Revolution890, Apr 2, 2006.

?

What is a better graphics card for gaming, Nvidia or ATi?

1. Nvidia

69.2%
  2. ATi

30.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanStramer

BryanStramer Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 6800XT
    I believe that both companies make great products, and either is a valid graphics card option.

I have owned many of both brands, and I really don't have a preference.

I buy whichever one can fill my needs in my pricerange at the time of purchase.

P.S. -----> This is the same way I feel about Intel vs AMD.

2. Revolution890

Revolution890 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb
    I have an ATi, my last one was also. I would love to try a nVidia but it's hard to find a card with AGP 8x cause majority of them (and newer cards) use PCI-express and changing the mother board is effin' gay to do. ATi are a biatch in the sense that their manual is pure crap and it's video speed could be better, however their IQ is quite superior!

If someone purchases a new GFX card, be sure to remove your old hardware before installing the new one. I just found my old driver and I will be uninstalling it soon, so be sure to check out my response on ATi being used to it's max :rolleyes:

I think if we would have put this in the ATi section first and not the nVidia, ATi's chances of having more votes would be higher.

3. cornbreadbreath

cornbreadbreath Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTX @ 615/1080
    I'm not sure where this whole, "ATi's frame rates are far lower than nVidia's" thing is coming from - they're very evenly matched. ATi and nVidia have played tag with their high-end cards since I can remember, same with their mid and low range. It's not like choosing ATi is a sacrifice of performance.

You can get a 7800GS for AGP 8X. That's the latest card that runs on it, and it's probably the last to be produced for it.

4. Revolution890

Revolution890 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb
    Don't let this thread be forgotten...

5. amdwilliam1985

amdwilliam1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3850 512mb
    i'm personally a green guy. i'm going with amd+nVidia. yes, yes i'm a fanboy, but i don't see nothing wrong with it. people are choosing their religions everyday and i don't see you guys hecking at them. i'm choosing amd and nvidia because they always work for me. why would i give up on something that's workign right and good for me. personally i see nothing wrong with fanboy, except if you're over doing it. it's kind of like some people go with hiphop, some go with jazz, some go with rock. there is nothing wrong with your choice, just remember to be your self.
    -_-... lol, forgive me if i offened anyone.

6. Lingo2005

Lingo2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4670
    This thread not fair......coz this forum have too many Nvidia supporters here....

7. outbreak123

outbreak123 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr V
    ATI is much more better even though i have a NVIDIA card, maybe i will purchase a X2800XT sometimes in the future :p

8. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    Nvidia performace is cheaper than ATI but their quality is less then ATI...but im a cheap scate......

9. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    Nvidia is more like intel, they have good products and they try to dominate their rivals in any lame way and they are rather expansive. ATI is more like AMD, they have better products then their rivals they are cheap and deliver exellent quality. ATI just wins with image quality that's just a fact. But in performance it's rather close altough the x1900xtx wins the most benchmarks and game tests. Here in belgium ati cards are cheaper then nvidia cards. Digital vibrance isn't as good as many people say i hate it.

The only reason i have this 6600gt is because at the time i bought it i couldn't get a better agp card at the pc store. They were already switching to pcie. Before this card i had a 9600xt wich had great performance for it's price i played hl2, far cry and such maxed out. And it really has better image quality then my 6600gt.

If you just whant to play games and don't care about one product having one fps more then the other then i think you can't go wrong with either of them.

10. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    i had 4 ati's and 1 nvidia and nvidia is way better..!

ATI 7000 32MB AGP 2X/4X
    ATI 9200 128MB AGP 4X/8X
    ATI 9800Pro AGP 8X
    ATI X700Pro PCI-Ex

nVidia 6800GS XXX Ed. PCI-Ex
    soon nVidia 7900GT PCI-Ex ... i hope :p

ATI was good but i find nVidia faster and better looking

11. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Wow the 6800 was better and faster? No way!

That's really not a valid comparison ... at all.

12. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    yeha the 6800GS was faster than the others :p

13. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Aha, not familiar with sarcasm.

You prefer Nvidia because your mid-range Nvidia card is faster than your entry level/older cards from ATI.

Talk about stating the obvious.

14. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    yeah .... still ATI was soo expansive i couldnt buy like a X800 or X1800, X1900 series so nVidia was the way to go....

but i meant it like 9800Pro with games was fast but not has fast as today games on my 6800GS... hope you know what i mean lol :p

15. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    You can't compare how your 6800 runs todays games to how your 9800 ran the games you used to play. The main reason being the games are not the same!

16. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    I think what Wild is trying to say is that comparing one generation of cards to another as a means to justify your favouritism cannot be done.

If I say I like my 1900XTX better than my old 6800GT because it performs better, and therefore ATi is better, my argument is flawed, much like yours.

Of course my XTX performs better, it's new technology.

And TBH, I am rather surprised at you saying your 68GS *looks* better than the 9800Pro IQ wise... the 6 series and 78 series are the easiest to spot IQ "unsharpness" on - and believe me, I know, I went from a 9800pro to a 6800GT.

17. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    lol ok ill shut up then:p sorry Wildstyle if i didnt understand what you meant..

18. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    That's ok, there's no need to apologise :)

As far as this thread goes, I think its a pointless thread to have because you have two kinds of people:

1. The people who buy what performs the best for their needs.
    2. The people who buy regardless of what performs the best for their needs.

The latter are fanboys, the former are not. It's simple.. what this poll should be is a question between those two options: What are you?

19. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Yea we know what u mean... u were comparing a later generation card to a new er onw... sooo yea it has to be faster then the other one. :) BUT Ive only seen one side of the story, wait till I get my ATi card... then I'll see the whole picture... :cool:

20. cornbreadbreath

cornbreadbreath Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTX @ 615/1080
    Just buy what the best card is in your price range, and buy the one you think you'll get the most out of. Last time, I bought an X850XT because at the time it was the fastest card out there, this time I bought a 7800GT because it was cheap but still fast, and I didn't want to buy uber-high-end before DX10. I can't say I've always been happy with my choice, but hindsight is always perfect...

The cards I've owned:
    3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 [anyone else have one of these?]
    Asus FX5500
    ATi 9800 Pro
    ATi X850XT
    eVGA 7800GT

A healthy balance of old school, green, and red :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.