Nvidia optimize drivers only for new architecture?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by lamparcicho, Apr 21, 2015.

1. lamparcicho

lamparcicho Member

GPU:
    Evga 980Ti sc+
    Sorry. Please delete.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. peppercute

peppercute Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 2080Ti TRIO
    Just FACEPALM

3. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S GAMING X
    My thoughts exactly.

4. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    If you would ask if they optimize it mostly (not to say only) for newer gpus your Q would be more accurate, but your question is.."out of bounds" area IMO.

5. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    Their game optimizations are across the board with their architectures, but they also optimize their architectures too. Hope that makes sense.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    It's also impossible for outsiders to know how much Nvidia could further optimize its drivers for its older architectures, but it's also important to keep in mind that Nvidia optimized Fermi and Kepler for years before they were replaced. It's natural that there's less and less to optimize as the years go by. And Fermi and Kepler are supposedly still similar to eachother.

I'd guess that right now Nvidia's driver team is under extra pressure, making both optimized drivers for new games, as well as working on DX12 drivers for the 400 series and later

7. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Before with Win7 i bench about 10 drivers and some of tweak force

To keep it short, Nvidia optimize their driver for old cards(Fermi), but only for Benchmarks, on games the FPS goes a little more down. So the Focus for old cards are only for Benchmarks...

The best drivers for old cards was always the one before nvidia release their new generation. On the Tweakforce driver i donĀ“t get any FPS Boost, but a better Picture Quality in Games.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I can second that. Running drivers that are months old on my 580 because I saw a performance decrease once they passed the 340 driver version. Now I get annoying messages each time I launch BF4, and have to do an additional click and confirm that I want to run that game with an old driver.