NVIDIA Officially Apologizes - Underestimated demand for RTX 3080 FE cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    This is really naive. Increasing profit is based on statistics and estimations of what a market/customers would tolerate. It might be better financially to hurt your competitors long term and humiliate them. It might be statistically better to warn customers that venturing outside of the ecosystem is not going to be tolerated.
    You don't like these measures? That's great, I don't like them either.
    Moaning about it online won't fix it. "Vote with your wallet" won't fix it either.
    You know what will fix it? Government regulatory action and forcing the corporation to abide by specific rules that protect customers preferentially. Industry won't regulate itself and customers have almost 0 power, exemplified by Intel still being financially viable even though they have been left behind technologically for years now and their endless delays and manufacturing process mishaps are legendary by now.
    And no, Nvidia doesn't give you stuff out of the goodness of their heart, stop expecting corporations to like you. It's all calculated, obviously. And 5 years driver support is not acceptable IMO, because I like to keep my old computers. I still have at least 3 full old PCs at home, and I still have really old cards, like some 6200, 6600, 5500FX, 5200, the HD4850 I mentioned, even really old stuff from 3DFX and Intel's i740, they all still work. I prefer to have some basic driver support for as long as possible, so they can be used with a new OS if needed.

2. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    You seem to have good gear so a wait shouldnt be all that bad :)

I'm aiming for around the holidays, the way things are going..
    Really want to see some Hybrid cards too before I buy.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    There is a mass hysteria underway (kind of like the iphone 4 back in the day) where every Joe or Jane Blow had to have it on day 1 of release just so they will not feel 'left out' of an important trend currently sweeping by. I guess something similar happening with Ampere cards. Ppl know they will eventually have one in a few weeks, but the only thing that matters to them is NOW.

p.s not a dig at anyone, just general observation re Ampere 'need to have' immediately. I myself got caught up in it by trying to buy one from Nvidia store on day 1. Next day, stepped back and said " Oh fffs, to hell with it" and felt better since. :D

Stormyandcold, AuerX and toyo like this.
  4. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    What does that have to do with this press release? What does it have to do with the 3080 release?

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    They shipped a total of 10 so probably ;) /s

angelgraves13 likes this.
  6. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    The issue was that a fellow guru3d member commented "I don't get the hate." (for nvidia).
    I advised nvidia actions I considered hateful and misinformation, which eventually led to you leaving me the above comments.
    I give up toyo, please tell me in your own words why there is so much hate for nVidia.
    Thank you in advance.

Note that I was not trying to fix anything. I was simply advising some of nVidia past actions I believed contributed to an ongoing hatred for nVidia. .

7. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    rm082e, if you are asking this question, then I misunderstood your comment.
    I thought your comment was regarding some of the post in this thread which to me indicated a pent-up hatred of nVidia. Some examples quoted below.
    "It just sounds to me like another artificial hype from Nvidia" - comment reference nVidia history.
    "Just ...makes me dislike Nvidia even more." - comment implies nVidia is already hated.
    "Indeed, more hocus pocus horseshait from Nvidia" - comment reference nVidia history
    So I posted some of the reasons for my pent-up hatred.
    nVidia press releases should be taken with a grain of nVidia history.
    3080 release? History tells me that if I wait and AMD has a competitive response, nVidia will reduce the price.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    angelgraves13 likes this.
  8. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Don't remember AMD apologizing for lack of Zen 2, X570 and RDNA1 in first several months after release. Zen 2 were quite difficult to find. X570 even far more difficult. Had to wait october to buy them.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its only a paper launch when nvidia does it.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The PhysX situation was entirely Ati's fault due to refusing to work with Nvidia on it. In-fact, this PhysX topic has been talked about extensively here and pops-up a lot on YouTube.

The truth of the matter is Ati wanted Physx to die, where as Nvidia saw the potential in it so bought AGEIA. Nvidia offered Ati to work with them on it and they refused. End of story.

Stop BS'ing re physx please.

Now, I'd love to see this long list. I'll match it with one for Ati/AMD. If you're a gamer, you'll hate the red team by the end of it.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/iz3j6c/not_a_huge_amd_fan_but_im_really_rooting_for_them/

Another day another learning experience, I had no idea the memory was that attractive.

Probably figures though plus it's less costly than cards like the Titan V back then with better performance.
    Radeon VII on AMD's side but professional software and the prevalence of CUDA since it was introduced so AMD's not a choice if that's a factor.

12. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    What distributor sell these for $2200 a piece?

13. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The 3900X in particular was like gold dust for, what, 5 months, maybe more.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you don't.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You'd get one so long as you had your order in, even if it meant you had to wait for the next batch which could take weeks or even over a month. I got mine not far too long after release, despite heavy heavy delays and having to wait for a new batch. As for X570 I had no idea those were hard to get, I didn't get mine on launch, I was content with my MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon until its BIOS chip decided to spontaneously implode.

This is one of the many problems I have with nVidia's BS. There was no way to have a preorder to ensure you get one, as it's obvious they're going for artificial scarcity no matter what any loyal nVidia partner says of there "totally being stock kind of comparable to other launches". There's a reason why Profit (yes that spelling) Jensen put a fatwa on preorders. He didn't do it on a whim because he thought it'd be fun. There's only 1 reason why he'd do such a thing.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Nvidia f*cked up. They should have priced these a fair bit higher. They would still sell out but the profit margins would look much better. Talking strictly from a business point of view.

For regular folk, I don't see an issue. Just wait a bit until you have a pick of a plethora of custom 3080.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Apology for what exactly? Do you feel like Nvidia should apologise to you because they released a GPU you can't afford? Or is it because the demand is simply too high? Or what exactly is the reason they should apologise for?

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I was just asking. About availability, sure it's sparse. So unfortunately, you'll have to wait to get yours. It's not really the end of the world and it surely doesn't warrant an apology from Nvidia.

Hyped products are in high demand. Hell, want to buy a top end exclusive Ferrari or Bugatti? You have to be on the list to be able to buy one. This is far from that bad. Simple fact is, they were available and people snagged them up. You wait, you get one next month. I don't see the problem and I certainly don't see why Nvidia should apologise to you for anything.

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Regional pricing and with VAT the 3090 costs between 17000 to 20000 SEK here.

Or 1860 - 2190 US Dollars.
    I am pretty certain some stores here have a even higher price for these and while Sweden has a higher cost on hardware other countries might have a higher listing price still.

And if demand is still high price could increase further still if it still sells.

EDIT: Quick check on Prisjakt here for comprisons and ~17000 to just over 20000 SEK.
    2080's around 8000 to 10000 SEK so it does follow the roughly 2x price for the 3090 it seems.

Hmm with the 25% VAT then removing that means that the price does land around the MSRP of 1500 US Dollars for the standard model of the 3090 GPU. :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  20. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    nVidia cards could perform physx with an AMD primary card until nVidia disabled GPU PhysX if a non-Nvidia card was detected. True or false statement?
    All I need to see is AMD's similar action to disabling GPU PhysX and the AMD version of Geforce Partner Program.

carnivore likes this.