NVIDIA Officially Apologizes - Underestimated demand for RTX 3080 FE cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    To do what exactly?

If anything it benefits them to sell as many as they can prior to AMD release.

Maddness, carnivore, Tat3 and 4 others like this.
  2. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    At this point the terrain has been arranged for Navi launch in such a positive way that AMD never dreamed of. But is AMD smart or resourceful enough to take advantage of this?

carnivore likes this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If this is honest, it really shows how out-of-touch Nvidia is with reality if they seriously didn't see why this GPU would have such high demand. First they didn't understand why the RTX 2000 series wasn't selling well (seriously... just because it has tensor cores, doesn't mean it's suddenly going to be high in demand) and now they don't get why something faster than a 2080 Ti for less than half the MSRP is very appealing? Are they actually serious?

This outcome is as obvious as having the average child choose between burnt broccoli vs chocolate cake.

No, probably not. AMD's marketing team (particularly for RTG) is going to screw this up somehow. We better hope their Windows driver devs have got their act together, because the drivers will otherwise be their ultimate downfall.

Icanium, carnivore and Fediuld like this.
  4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    The fact they called the release a 'Gift' for us gamers too, hell more folks are without GPUs right now than before the release and
    those that got stung most are those that invested most in their previous gen. (X 2080TI owners).

5. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    As much as I wish of AMD being the reason behind all this, I think it is probably Samsung 8nm process, they told us that Nvidia worked with Samsung to improve the process during Ampere presentation, and I think in the end they couldn't reach the desired clockspeed (at a reasonable TBP) and changed the whole price/name stack.
    Ampere sole shortcomings as an architecture is the lack of clockspeed upgrade to go with the massive gain in cuda core count (while barely any change made to the TMU, ROP and SM count).

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    [​IMG]

Google search disagrees with you.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For me, this smells of a rushed released probably caused by whispers in the wind about the unexpected high performance of the upcoming Navi, causing Nvidia to launch earlier than they should, despite the low stock, so they can sell as much as possible berofe AMD reveals their new cards.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I think we're all being dishonest if we try to pretend like it isn't both of these things. Demand is higher for a generation, but it's not the orders of magnitude higher that they're claiming. If you go back in your google search terms to GTX 1080, it's even closer. You can also do like basic math to see that the quantities just aren't there. Microcenter, one of the four US retailers (Amazon, Microcenter, Best Buy, Newegg) gets about a thousand units across the country on launch day? And someone wants to tell me that there isn't a shortage on top of extreme demand? Come on. It's clear to me that Nvidia rushed this out to get out ahead of AMD and didn't have the stock available. Higher demand has worsened the situation.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I simply call... BS.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    The alternative is almost sad.

11. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't. The anti-Nvidia hate train plows on with any BS excuse it can find. :rolleyes:

alanm and AuerX like this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Retailers are to blame for this mess too, scan was saying a few days before release 'gonna be an exciting launch folks!', well exciting it was, if you use Bounce Alerts.

13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Covid19 is only for private sector. People working in, for or with state have not stopped buying crap. I cannot explain that consumerism otherwise at the moment. Best case scenario they have retired parents or they are retired themselves, enjoying remaining lifetime.

14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Covid if anything has pushed tech sales, this is documented.

Maddness likes this.
  15. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    The situation sucks, but this isn't Nvidia's fault. Sure, if they had just made 4x the number of cards for launch, there would be more on the market. But that's an asinine thing to say.

What's obnoxious though is the reaction to their statement on the issue. They didn't throw up some jack-ass tweets to dunk on AMD. They put out a statement with actual numbers to help people understand why there is no stock for the product people are looking for. They're trying to provide context to keep people engaged. This is exactly what I would hope a good marketing department would do for a product like this. I don't get the hate.

16. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    There'll always be hate from both sides whenever an opportunity arises, just ignore, what pisses me off more is this two month wait talk.
    Two months?

17. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Honestly, watching the presentation on the 3000 series, I was thinking to myself "It's going to be January before we see reasonable prices on AIB cards."

There's a backlog of demand from 1000 series owners, the RTX is a lot better, the pricing isn't as bad as people feared, and it's good for mining. Those factors combined seemed obvious it's going to be a supply grind for months until the market normalizes. No one should be surprised by this.

18. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Actually Nvidia DID have small print on the slides bottom on the video.

I pointed this to you and many others in this very forum when everyone had jumped the hypetrain, yet many bashed me that I was ignorant and not knowing what talking about, while they refused to re-watch the video.

Here to remind you and everyone else the small print from the video

[​IMG]

That is why I strongly believe the 3070 will be around 1080Ti performance in non RT games and around the 2080Ti with RT/DLSS.

While the 1080ti looked like it was at the bottom of the chart, because it had it's performance with Ray Tracing without DLSS. 2000 and 3000 series had DLSS ON on the charts.

Also we know how fast a 52CU RDNA2 is with RT on at 4K on NATIVE rendering. Yet somehow we have prople saying that they will be surprised if AMD is faster!!!!
    Bonkers.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    suty455 likes this.
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No way. The 2070S was already very close to the 1080ti in non-RT performance.

Maddness likes this.
  20. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    And? Does that prohibits somehow Nvidia to deliver another card AROUND the 1080ti/2070S/2080?

Don't forget the 3070 is almost HALF the die size of the 3080/3090.
    And even if the 3090 is 20% faster not just mere 9-10% as some say, it would be around the area I am referring to. If it just 10% it will be at the 1080Ti area probably getting beaten by the Radeon VII also.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020