NVIDIA Officially Apologizes - Underestimated demand for RTX 3080 FE cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    /thread

They divergently chose two paths; crank up the price and stifle supply to rationalise the high price.

IF the geforce range of products were their only product, my logic falls down, but as they got money coming in from a multitude of differing product lines and services, they 'fabricated' this.

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Demand outstripped supply by a large multiple. I'm guessing between 5 to 10 times.

Do you seriously think that Nvidia would NOT want to sell 5 to 10 times as many units? Adding a 0 to revenue figures is generally considered a good thing in business.

They are not cheap but have the same pricing as the previous generation and far greater performance per $ so it's simply not true that they cranked up the price as you suggested.

3. Killersjp

Killersjp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Well I would have thought demand would definitely be higher. First the 3080 is so much cheaper than what I paid for my 2080 ti, it’s a shame to also see the online retailers putting up prices too which are well above previously advertised prices also who on here didn’t have a holiday this year so maybe the thought of a nice new 3080 sitting in their computer would spend some of that holiday cash.

4. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    This "release" is one of the biggest piles of lies Ive seen a company to produce, and Ive seen a lot already.

3080 is NOT 2x 2080
    The real performance of AIB cards will be lower than the golden samples FE
    Cards are not even available (like 20 cards for a major vendor I know about... not 200 or 2000 cards, but 20)
    3090 - the "BFG" is 10% faster than 3080 but costs 1000USD more.. yet is still a GAMING cards, because it has no PROdrivers.

This is steaming pile.. enjoy your preorders. I will absolutely not support company like that. What so ever.

5. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    I wonder if it's the same with the 3090 launch...

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    As I said, if it was their only product, my logic falls apart.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I mostly agree with you. Mostly.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That's gonna be worse.

9. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    There are companies that pick product launches, use bots to buy all the early stock and resell to make a profit. I suspect they have targeted this launch, that's why there are more visits then black Friday - it's not real people it's bot farms. They only care about the initial release where the most profit is to be made, so I suspect the situation will recover fairly quickly.

10. urbancamper

urbancamper Member

GPU:
    RX 5700xt / 8gb
    Sounds to me your pissed that these cards cost half the as much as that 2080ti your so proud of. So what if it "only" has 10 gb of memory. Every one of them beat that 2080ti in benchmarks and gaming as well. Again at half the cost.

Many people including myself can not afford to spend 1500 dollars on a video card. While 699 plus tax is a bit pricey, this kind of quality is a little bit more affordable to the masses and not just the snob tier gamers.

11. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    It is very likely that Mr. Huang regrets more the potential lost sales (increased dividends to stock holders), than the minor inconvenience and grief of disappointed consumers.

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Right...
    As if they didn't know how many they sell each lunch, that 2000 was a crap generation, and they promised up to 2x gains...
    Many people with 1080/Ti just skiped the 2000, many want something better coming from AMD, and many more want to try and cash in on the hype selling the cards on ebay.
    For a 27 yo company It would be hard to predict how many people would want a new GPU, right nvidia...

Icanium likes this.
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, I'd say your particular case is pretty rare and let's not forget the added cost of a water cooling system. Most people still use air coolers after all. By the way, it is finally proven possible to OC the 3080 with a shunt mod, but water cooling is mandatory due to high temps plus it's apparently not really worth it for 100MHz more.

I'm thinking the opposite when reviews will tell that you pay 100% more for up to 10% more performance vs the 3080 (if the leaks are true).

14. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    You sure? They had another Week to get more Stock. Also the price is way higher and will probably hold lower profit for scalpers. Not everyone and their mom will grab a 3090, but a 3080 or 3070 for sure.

I think it will get a high demand but not as insane as the 3080 launch.

15. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Now I don't feel so bad buying a 2070S over the summer.

kanenas likes this.

16. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I'll get one, It's half the money of a 2080ti and performs better.

It's not a pair of shoes or a purse that you needed for a first date and it got sold out, no need to be emotional about it.

Cheaper and faster.

That's it.

17. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    Nvidia you are the biggest dgpu seller on the planet and you underestimate the demand?
    I really hope Amd can bring competition no need for another "Intel" bs.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    And because demand is so great and supply is low, we have to increase prices...
    Guess we know now why the release pricing seemed suspiciously affordable versus Turing.

It doesn't make sense they "underestimated" the demand. If they did that basically means NV themselves wasn't expecting the cards to sell well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Fediuld likes this.
  19. Ahmad Bilal

Ahmad Bilal Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon
    No one has the evidence for either high demand or low demand, as the actual sales charts are kept private.

Knowing Nvidia and its marketing practices for years, I agree with most of the people in here, that regardless of what the actual demand is, this seems like just a unethical and artificial way to push up demand.

Icanium likes this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I agree it was pretty misleading. They had one slide that said "up to" but the other definitely flat out said 2x 2080 performance. Further they went a weird route with the Linus video and made the claim they were only talking about 2x in RT games - but the slides don't indicate that at all and it's not even true regardless.

That being said I totally want to buy one.

We know they expected to sell well because of their guidance for next quarter - the question is how much they'll exceed that guidance. If they post 10-20% beyond expected revenue then the demand was real.

_

I said it in the other thread and I'm going to say here:

I'm 95% confident Nvidia switcharoo'd the cards at the last minute because of AMD.

I bet the lineup was originally

3090 = Titan = GA102
    3080 = 3080 Ti = GA102
    3070 = 3080 = GA104

Typically the GX104 cards are always the X080 - performance wise they fall much closer to previous generation's Ti models (1080 wasn't much faster than a 980Ti, 2080 wasn't much faster than a 1080Ti, 980 wasn't much faster than a 780Ti) but here the 3080 is GX102 and it's suddenly 30-40% faster than the previous generation Ti. Supply for it seems low - Nvidia is claiming it's over demand (this is probably partially true) but I'm willing to bet supply is low because it was intended at a higher, Ti pricepoint. But Nvidia switched it at the last minute because AMD is going to be more competitive this round and/or the switch to Samsung 8nm didn't give them the performance they were expecting.

The 3090 is similar - why are they doing a 30'9'0 now? This generation? It's over double the price and is only 10-15% faster? The large VRAM pool make it sound more like a Titan but the Titan branding isn't here - the landing page indicates it's for gaming, where as the Titan RTX page doesn't say the word "gaming" at all. I guarantee you this thing was originally going to be a Titan, again at a higher price point, but they had to swap it to a geforce because the brand alone will increase sales and if AMD somehow manages to punch above the 3080 or tie it, they can still say they have the fastest card.

I could be wrong, obviously, but I think the entire launch supply issue, product lineup, naming scheme weirdness, etc all makes way more sense if you look at it this way.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Maddness, Morax, carnivore and 2 others like this.